Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does this team really need a Kirk Cousins?
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@DeepFreeze05 said:
A QB with over 10 years of NFL experience can certainly be traded to a team that's balanced or has a strong defense. If that team has a great shot of making the playoffs with a below average to average QB, a QB like Cousins may take them deep in the playoffs. Starting off after a trade, he would just need to manage the offense and get familiar with it. That team that can gradually bring Cousins along and let him loose in the playoffs. Plus, it may not take him long to pickup offense since he's had a variety of offense coordinators throughout the years dating back to his Washington days.
I think you're oversimplifying things. I think what you're talking about works for WRs and RBs and DEs and CBs, but it doesn't work for QBs. Probably why it's never been done.

Also, what QB-needy team is already so good that a QB like Cousins is going to put them over the top? All teams headed to the playoffs already have QBs. It's why they're headed to the playoffs. I think it suffices to say this would not be a great team.

And so why would Cousins waive his NTC, leave KOCs offense, and JJ and Addison and TJH, to learn a new one, and move to God knows where, uprooting his home and family...all for a few more bucks that he's going to get in free agency this spring anyway? It really doesn't make a lot of sense. 

I think it's more likely the Vikings extend Cousins than trade him. 
I still think Atlanta is a team that would trade for Kirk.  Probably the only one.  Run heavy, play action offense.  They have Ridder and that's it.  He's been really uneven despite them being 4-3 and leading the NFC South.  You look at that division and Atlanta is a good QB from winning it and being in the playoffs.

They could make the trade with a long term vision in mind.  Get him now, let him learn the play book until their Week 11 bye and then have him down the stretch and he'd be their guy moving forward.  I agree, it's not likely but that is the one scenario I could see happening.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@DeepFreeze05 said:
A QB with over 10 years of NFL experience can certainly be traded to a team that's balanced or has a strong defense. If that team has a great shot of making the playoffs with a below average to average QB, a QB like Cousins may take them deep in the playoffs. Starting off after a trade, he would just need to manage the offense and get familiar with it. That team that can gradually bring Cousins along and let him loose in the playoffs. Plus, it may not take him long to pickup offense since he's had a variety of offense coordinators throughout the years dating back to his Washington days.
I think you're oversimplifying things. I think what you're talking about works for WRs and RBs and DEs and CBs, but it doesn't work for QBs. Probably why it's never been done.

Also, what QB-needy team is already so good that a QB like Cousins is going to put them over the top? All teams headed to the playoffs already have QBs. It's why they're headed to the playoffs. I think it suffices to say this would not be a great team.

And so why would Cousins waive his NTC, leave KOCs offense, and JJ and Addison and TJH, to learn a new one, and move to God knows where, uprooting his home and family...all for a few more bucks that he's going to get in free agency this spring anyway? It really doesn't make a lot of sense. 

I still think Atlanta is a team that would trade for Kirk.  Probably the only one.  Run heavy, play action offense.  They have Ridder and that's it.  He's been really uneven despite them being 4-3 and leading the NFC South.  You look at that division and Atlanta is a good QB from winning it and being in the playoffs.

They could make the trade with a long term vision in mind.  Get him now, let him learn the play book until their Week 11 bye and then have him down the stretch and he'd be their guy moving forward.  I agree, it's not likely but that is the one scenario I could see happening.
I think the Falcons make more sense than, say, the Jets, which makes zero sense. I think it's pretty hard for any team to bring in a QB mid-season and have him learn their offense in time to make a difference. And if not this year, then it's for next year. And if it's for next year, you can get him in free agency in 5 months without sending draft picks to Minnesota.

And this doesn't even mention that Cousins has to agree to it. He has to WANT to uproot his family, take his kids out of school and go play in Atlanta, where he suffers a huge downgrade at WR and a modest one at OL. Hard to see any of that happening. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@DeepFreeze05 said:

I think the Falcons make more sense than, say, the Jets, which makes zero sense. I think it's pretty hard for any team to bring in a QB mid-season and have him learn their offense in time to make a difference. And if not this year, then it's for next year. And if it's for next year, you can get him in free agency in 5 months without sending draft picks to Minnesota.

And this doesn't even mention that Cousins has to agree to it. He has to WANT to uproot his family, take his kids out of school and go play in Atlanta, where he suffers a huge downgrade at WR and a modest one at OL. Hard to see any of that happening. 
But they'd also be competing with a bunch of teams for his services.  If they trade now and Kirk waived his NTC in exchange for an extension, maybe they get him for cheaper than he would get on the open market?

If Minnesota doesn't want Kirk after this year, he's smart enough to realize he needs to find a new team.  Guys that get traded go find an apartment until they can move their family to their new team's city.  It happens frequently.

But I do agree with you, it's likely not gonna happen. Atlanta only does this if they have seen enough of Ridder to realize he's not the guy and want to make a move to solidify their standing at the top of their division for the next couple years. Saints have Carr, Bucs have Baker, and Panthers have no first round pick and Bryce young.  They could see this as an opportunity to be a playoff team with Bijan in his prime and two young playmakers in Drake London and Pitts with a good defense.

Kook was married in Georgia.  His wife is from outside Atlanta.  They have the cap room and reason to lock him up.  

If I am ATL, with Cousins I can get out of the bottom rung and win the division the next couple of years with him a QB.  Winning 10 games puts you in the late teens/early 20s, so a first is on the table.

If I am Minnesota, I say yes to a 1st, any 1st whatsoever.  Run Hall out there and see what you have in him.  

A first for Kirk?  I'll sign onto that right now.  Dont need or want a 500 record.  Norh to gain from that.  Unless he looks like Superman tonight time to send him pafking

35-45 378 on MNF without JJ.  Next question?

Quote: @RS Express said:
35-45 378 on MNF without JJ.  Next question?
Great performance. 

Quote: @VikingIowA said:
A first for Kirk?  I'll sign onto that right now.  Dont need or want a 500 record.  Norh to gain from that.  Unless he looks like Superman tonight time to send him pafking
[Image: K63F.gif]

Kirk elevated his play and elevated the team as well.  I haven't seen him look like that in a long time.  Honestly he has had games that to me appeared to bevl racking up the stats but really not doing much.  This game he was phenomenal in seeing the field, fitting the ball into tight windows,  and leading by example.  The performance against the 49ers is what this team needs.  That and a little better execution in the deep red zone Wink

I am wondering if this question is starting to be answered?