Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Coronavirus
I hope I'm still going to a spring training game Saturday. I was in public at a Renaissance Festival this past Sunday. I'll keep doing stuff till they shut them down. 
Wish me luck.

Quote: @"BlackMagic7" said:
Preventative actions don't make the virus disappear... whats the end game to canceling events? The virus isn't going to get frustrated and retreat...
You're 100% right, prevention isn't a cure...But if the growth arc of this virus isn't controlled? Right now?

Were headed for some bad, bad s hit. This is a very important juncture our country is at. 

Thank god we're only letting Americans in the country and not those filthy Europeans :p   

Let's at least get enough testing kits out there...I wonder how many of us could get tested when we need it? Let alone treated.  

Quote: @"suncoastvike" said:
I hope I'm still going to a spring training game Saturday. I was in public at a Renaissance Festival this past Sunday. I'll keep doing stuff till they shut them down. 
Wish me luck.
Suncoast, your bravery in the face of such danger will not go unheralded.  Should you fall, the tales of your courage will be sung around our halls for generations.  The gods will welcome you into Valhalla, brother!  Just be sure to have a roll of toilet paper in your hand as you pass from this world.  Skol!

Quote: @"Ralphie" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
I'm no alarmist, but this is the real deal. I wouldn't suggest getting on a plane to anyone right now. To mitigate the spread, which will get worse each day, this 'social distancing' needs to be taken fairly seriously. Again, although the risk remains low, this flu has a mortality rate 10x the regular flu: that's no joke to those with compromised immune systems, lung or heart issues, elderly, etc. 
My skepticism is based on previous viral or bacterial outbreaks.  Like Sticky says, the regular run-of-the-mill flu is far more deadly and kills tens of thousands in the US each and every year but no events, flights or conventions get cancelled. The US had over 1500 deaths in 2009-10 from Swine flu.  I get a flu shot every year and take normal, reasonable precautions every winter.

But if the CDC says you got a 98% chance of survival once infected and the highest mortality rates are in 70+ age group, folks I won't be stocking up on a years supply of toilet paper just yet.  Common sense is truly an uncommon thing these days.

I think the fear lies in its potential. This thing is about 30 times more likely to cause death than the flu, once infected. I think that number is greatly distorted by the elderly who've died in china and in nursing homes. Still, common sense would advise everyone to use caution. 

So this is about the 4th time someone has mentioned toilet paper in this thread. What's that about? I don't understand the connection. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
So this is about the 4th time someone has mentioned toilet paper in this thread. What's that about? I don't understand the connection. 
[Image: corona-virus-costco-toilet-paper-meme.jpg]

@"Ralphie" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
I'm no alarmist, but this is the real deal. I wouldn't suggest getting on a plane to anyone right now. To mitigate the spread, which will get worse each day, this 'social distancing' needs to be taken fairly seriously. Again, although the risk remains low, this flu has a mortality rate 10x the regular flu: that's no joke to those with compromised immune systems, lung or heart issues, elderly, etc. 
My skepticism is based on previous viral or bacterial outbreaks.  Like Sticky says, the regular run-of-the-mill flu is far more deadly and kills tens of thousands in the US each and every year but no events, flights or conventions get cancelled. The US had over 1500 deaths in 2009-10 from Swine flu.  I get a flu shot every year and take normal, reasonable precautions every winter.

But if the CDC says you got a 98% chance of survival once infected and the highest mortality rates are in 70+ age group, folks I won't be stocking up on a years supply of toilet paper just yet.  Common sense is truly an uncommon thing these days.

I think the fear lies in its potential. This thing is about 30 times more likely to cause death than the flu, once infected. I think that number is greatly distorted by the elderly who've died in china and in nursing homes. Still, common sense would advise everyone to use caution. 

Well when the shit hits the fan, which side of stupid do you want to be on? 

It is just silly, but people love their TP.  They don't want to be rationing when the loose bowels start.

St Petersburg Grand Prix has cancelled general admission seating. 

Had to get dog food this morning. A woman had a cart full of toilet paper. I just lol.

The shitpocolypse is upon us. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:

Had to get dog food this morning. A woman had a cart full of toilet paper. I just lol.

Wow, I guess it's a thing. Out of curiosity, I checked Amazon and all the "normal" toilet paper products were either "out of stock" or "currently unavailable." WTF, folks? 

On a related note, dogs are safe...

https://twitter.com/DiageoLiam/status/12...96161?s=20

@"BarrNone55" said:

Wow, I guess it's a thing. Out of curiosity, I checked Amazon and all the "normal" toilet paper products were either "out of stock" or "currently unavailable." WTF, folks? 

On a related note, dogs are safe...

https://twitter.com/DiageoLiam/status/12...96161?s=20
I should have been stockpiling all those old Sears and Spiegel catalogs.  Are corncobs flushable??? Wink