Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins has regressed?
Why get a QB if you aren't going to use him effectively? They can't always run. They can't be one dimensional and win. The OL is still a work in progress. And it doesn't matter how many receivers they have if the plan is primarily to run. 

Somewhere, Denny Green is shaking his head...

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
@silverjoel said:
@MarkSP18 said:
This team is on it's 4th OC and system in 4 years.Last year, with Cook out 6 of the first 8 weeks, the offense was still very productive and Thielen was setting records.But noooo, Zimmer wanted to run the dinosaur offense.So they fire JDF, who is now helping Minshew in Jacksonville, and promote Stefanski who has to be a "yes" man.
Is it any wonder the skill players are upset?They are just high paid decoys.Cousins has thrown 99 passes in 4 games and people complain if he misses a deep one that has a 50% or less chance of success.
The Vikings should use Cook like the Steelers used Bell and throw him more passes.They should never have him in to block because he is terrible at pass pro.He got blasted on the one play where Kirk fumbled.  That still is on Kirk but very very few posters mention Cook's whiff.
Maybe Cousins is not the answer?  OK.
But changing the OC and system every year is worse.
Cook is leading the Vikings with 15 receptions.  That's 23.4% of the Vikings' completions (15/64).  How much more do you want?

IDK.  His first 5 carries were 2 yards, 1 yard, no gain, no gain, and 1 yard.  His next 2 carries are 4 and 3 yards.
That was the first two drives.
I would like to see them recognize that they are getting whupped up front.
The next time they play the Bears I would not call any runs at the start of the game.
It would be short passes, misdirection type plays, or anything to get 3 to 4 yards a play.
Then, maybe I try a run or two.
When Hicks gets back they are going to be in a world of hurt.

The Vikings had 57 plays on offense (not including penalties).  They ran the ball 15 times and had 42 passing plays.

Breakdown of those passing plays:
6 sacks
8 (highest on the team) to Cook (6 receptions)
4 to Ham (3 receptions)
3 to Abdullah (2 receptions)
1 to Mattison (1 reception)
17 to WRs (13 receptions)
2 to TEs (2 receptions)

16 of the 36 pass attempts went to RBs.

The 1st drive had 5 passing plays and 4 rushes.

The 2nd drive had 7 passing plays and 6 rushes.

10 of the 15 rushes came on the first 2 drives.  They only rushed 5 times the rest of the game.

It sure seems like they recognized that they were getting "whupped" up front as after the first 2 drives they called 30 pass plays to 5 rushes.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@SFVikeFan said:
O-line is a separate issue, separate topic.

When Cousins had a clean pocket, clear view, he overshot Thielen.  I can think of other plays where the pocket was clean and he ran out of it.  

For $84 million, when you have a clean pocket and a guy open, those are the throws I expect him to hit.
I dont think so,  a shit OL creates shit QB play.  just because the beatings are constant doenst mean they dont have a negative affect on nearly every play.  That OL needs to improve by a long ways before KC should be expected to be comfortable in any pocket they create.
Oh I agree to an extent, but Russell Wilson has an O-line worse than ours yet still makes throws and scores points.

Quote: @SFVikeFan said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@SFVikeFan said:

When Cousins had a clean pocket, clear view, he overshot Thielen.  I can think of other plays where the pocket was clean and he ran out of it.  

For $84 million, when you have a clean pocket and a guy open, those are the throws I expect him to hit.
I dont think so,  a shit OL creates shit QB play.  just because the beatings are constant doenst mean they dont have a negative affect on nearly every play.  That OL needs to improve by a long ways before KC should be expected to be comfortable in any pocket they create.
Oh I agree to an extent, but Russell Wilson has an O-line worse than ours yet still makes throws and scores points.
he has mobility that KC doesnt,  we cant expect KC to make the kind of chicken salad that a mobile QB can make with the shit he is getting for protection.  Wilson is a special talent,  his durability kind of defies the odds for a mobile QB and his arm talent is among the top in the league.   

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@SFVikeFan said:

Kirk was responsible for most of his own beatings yesterday.  I remember Reiff getting beat by Mack once and Elf getting tossed aside on a swim.  Other than that, most of the sacks were Cousins holding the ball too long.  Often on 3 step drops.
Even if true how do you respond to Zimmer saying he needs to hold it longer?  In that game vs that defense?

Quote: @HappyViking said:
He looked just like the KC that played the Bears last season.  No better, no worse.
Quote: @HappyViking said:
He looked just like the KC that played the Bears last season.  No better, no worse.
This is it. He is no different than he has always been. Inconsistent. Good against bad teams. Bad against good teams. He is a .500 QB, and this is a .500 team.

@greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@SFVikeFan said:

Kirk was responsible for most of his own beatings yesterday.  I remember Reiff getting beat by Mack once and Elf getting tossed aside on a swim.  Other than that, most of the sacks were Cousins holding the ball too long.  Often on 3 step drops.
Even if true how do you respond to Zimmer saying he needs to hold it longer?  In that game vs that defense?
Like i already said, context.  Zim said that at times he got rid of to quickly. 

Quote: @Bolstad79 said:
@StickyBun said:
He never looked as bad last year as he does this year. I really don't know what to make of it. His lack of mobility is such a hinderance sometimes. The offensive line is still lacking in pass protection. So many good athletes on D today I think an important part of a modern day NFL QB is escapability. A few guys like Brees, Brady and Rivers aren't mobile but they are Hall of Famers. They are franchise guys that know what to do when protections breaks down and you won't see their likes again in the NFL. The new guard is mobile almost to a man.

Not even halfway thru his contract and the team is stuck. He had guys open downfield and either didn't see them or couldn't hit them.
I'm not a huge cousins fan, but that's all on Zimmer.

It all starts with keeping 4Wrs on the 53, he doesn't want to throw the ball, he wants to run it.  So he hangs his qb out to dry.

This I don't get. How would Cousins be better if the Vikings had 5 WRs on the 53? B)

@greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@SFVikeFan said:

That's Zimmer's anti-media defense mechanism. He's one of the most defensive coaches in the NFL. And not just in terms of Xs and Os. I wrote a thing on this after his bewildering Sloter comments, but he loves to point out how wrong fans and media are. Oh you think he held the ball too long? I say there were times when he got rid of it too quickly. So there. This kind of petulance is one of his most annoying characteristics.