• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Board Split
Quote: @SmokedPears said:
@prairieghost said:
@SmokedPears said:
@pumpf said:
@SmokedPears said:
@MaroonBells said:
I didn't even know people were missing until someone mentioned it a few weeks ago. But then I realized I hadn't seen a few specific posters in a while. I miss one or two, but I'm guessing the majority are the type who get offended if you disagree with them. 

I don't visit any board but this one. I don't have a 2nd favorite football team and I don't play in more than one fantasy league. I guess I'm funny like that. 

And you still have your superiority complex. Carry on.
It seems strange that you would "come back" (?) to this board... just to attack 2 posters here.  

I actually wanted to respond to Mike's post but got distracted. You're right and I apologize for the derail.

Miss talking to you, Mr. Pears Smile  I hope all is well for you and your family.

Great to see you PG. I think of you often. It's been a rough year for me and mine but things are finally looking up. Got the camper out for the first time Labor Day weekend. Antelope hunting this weekend.

I think of you as well, and good to hear about the hunting trip! My brother has hit the Woodland Park area a couple of times bow hunting elk, took 1 shot at a cow from too great a distance, but hasn't seen the ever elusive big bull yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him.
It was an off year for fishing and camping for me. Too many unexpected expenses that inhibited a lot of anything, though we did sneak down to Deadwood for a few days. We had a good time and my son loved it because he got to "ghost hunt" at Bullock Hotel.
I'm sorry to hear things have been rough for the Pears family this past year. Hang in there my friend <3 <3. My eyeballs are always available for a talk if you would like, just so you know.    

Part of the reason for my being absent from the board over the summer is that I recently became a stay home Dad and my boy took an interest in fishing. That led me to buy a used fishing boat and start going fishing with him like 3 times a week! So yeah this summer has been a blur. Honestly I had much much much more time for the board when I was at work where I often had a lot of down time. Now, I am pretty busy keeping our house running and working on some projects during the day.

220/221 whatever it takes. 

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
Part of the reason for my being absent from the board over the summer is that I recently became a stay home Dad and my boy took an interest in fishing. That led me to buy a used fishing boat and start going fishing with him like 3 times a week! So yeah this summer has been a blur. Honestly I had much much much more time for the board when I was at work where I often had a lot of down time. Now, I am pretty busy keeping our house running and working on some projects during the day.

220/221 whatever it takes. 
Miss your contributions, Mike. But I'm like that, too. I'm way more active at work than I am at home. S'pose I shouldn't say that too loud. :-)

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
Why does this thread feel like an auto accident with many slowing down to take a peek?

This board has certainly taken some interesting twists the last few years. I dont get the Bercich thing anymore, the whole thing frankly feels a bit in limbo and it makes me question the long-term viability of the forum vs resources put into other media. 

Interesting how it takes a weird thread like this to bring so many out of the wood-work. Forums used to be where die-hards hung out (and we still do for sure). That said, I get the social media element now. Only constant in life is change, so you roll with it - the good and the bad. 

I dont expect any more of this joint than it gives me today, a place to hang and discuss some football. I think Pumpf put it very nicely and succinctly - at least from my perch in life. 
I have similar wonderings,  I get that times change and Tom puts a ton of time , money, and effort into what he does and he wants the most efficient and effective means of distribution for those efforts,  but at the same time I don't see those works as part of this anymore.  (Vikefans was a message board before it was a Web site and twitter machine)  It's getting a different feel for it,  like the Web site and message board are secondary to feeding twitter.

I don't use twitter,  Ive tried it on a couple occasions and i don't like it.  It's not for me,  however it is still very popular,  more so than message boards so I do completely understand why Tom chooses to use it.  I just wonder where that leaves the Longship in the grand scheme of things. 

The decline in participation is noticeable and that has a tricke effect in various ways most of which are negative IMO,  even if the waters seem calm for now.

I don't know what the future holds for what we built here, but I do appreciate the efforts in the past and what we have enjoyed over the years.....yes even that one guy.
Just so everyone knows, We post between 10-20 things per day on Twitter.  I elected to spend more time there than here when the activity level became so much higher.  For the longest time, I took the extra effort to Tweet and then post the same here.  But, the interaction and consumption was so low on the website, it makes less sense to repost everything.  

An example was our Camp coverage.  We interviewed 19 players including our 1st and 2nd round choices.  The only feedback we received when we posted them on the website was “can we compile them all in one thread, because it is harf to see anything else.  On Twitter, there were over 90,000 views of the interviews.  The website seems better for dialogue threads and writren pieces, the latter I dont do as much anymore as they are time consuming and not read much here.  It is okay, but I don’t want to write articles that only appeal to 6 or 8 people.

I’ve tried lots of different things on the website and the most appealing is the writeup I do telling what we saw when the cameras were not rolling when we cover games on the road.  We planti be at all 8 road games and the playoffs.

Twitter is more suitable for photos, short videos, and quick comments.

As far as Pete Bercich, he put no money into our site and gets no money for any work he does.  We still do a road post game show from the field of the opposition,  We post it here and Twitter.  A lot more interest in it on Twitter.  Pete did interact some on the board early, but he did not get much interaction and he is a full time coach at Hill Murray, so hos time is just limited.

So, we sre open to ideas, and even help.  We simply only have so much time and cycles, and I dont have any help to provide more content.

I read the twitter stuff. I read a lot of twitter stuff--political stuff, nfl draft stuff, but I don't contribute; I don't have an account.

Maybe I'm wrong (I don't know a lot about it), but to me twitter is not a community. If I post something on a twitter feed, I'm guessing all my twitter followers can read and respond to that. Family, friends, co-workers, people who have zero interest in the Vikings...

What I like about a forum like this is that, at its best, it IS a community with ONE common interest. We don't always agree; we don't always get along, but you get to know people, you get to know their takes on various things. I know Wetlander liked Cody Whitehair coming out and I know he has a son who played catch with my son at a tailgate once. I know Barr is a cancer survivor who liked Chris Godwin and James Conner coming out. I know Ivar is an actor whose daughter I've prayed for. I know Havoc writes impossibly long political posts , but when he writes something about the draft, I listen. Same with Kahsmick and FSU. Not to get all sentimental because I do like to remain somewhat detached, but I just don't think you get that with the Twitter machine do ya? 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I read the twitter stuff. I read a lot of twitter stuff--political stuff, nfl draft stuff, but I don't contribute; I don't have an account.

Maybe I'm wrong (I don't know a lot about it), but to me twitter is not a community. If I post something on a twitter feed, I'm guessing all my twitter followers can read and respond to that. Family, friends, co-workers, people who have zero interest in the Vikings...

What I like about a forum like this is that, at its best, it IS a community with ONE common interest. We don't always agree; we don't always get along, but you get to know people, you get to know their takes on various things. I know Wetlander liked Cody Whitehair coming out and I know he has a son who played catch with my son at a tailgate once. I know Barr is a cancer survivor who liked Chris Godwin and James Conner coming out. I know Ivar is an actor whose daughter I've prayed for. I know Havoc writes impossibly long political posts , but when he writes something about the draft, I listen. Same with Kahsmick and FSU. Not to get all sentimental because I do like to remain somewhat detached, but I just don't think you get that with the Twitter machine do ya? 
actually, you do get some comminity feel, but there are more people, so conversations sre not as deep.  We are a Vikings only Twitter feed.  we dont talk politics, news or anything else.   The closest to off topic that you get, is tailgate food ideas.

But, you hit it on the head.  People like website forums to get to know each other better and to go off topic when times are slow.  Realistically, both sources serve s purpose.  And, as you said, you dont have to be a Twitter member to see tue stuff we tweet

this was a great read- many names i have not heard from in a long time- still lurking here daily! maybe i'll try to post a little more. hope everyone is doing well! 

for the record, the original Vikefans FF league is still going strong!! and... I still suck. 

I was wondering where everyone was but since I'm usually day late dollar short to most threads, I figured there had to be a reason.

Being so far away, I take what I can find for info and let the rest run off like water on a ducks arse

Skol Bros---I appreciate the work and musings  of all my viking brothers and sisters.

What is the other board that guys split off to?

Quote: @Poiple said:
What is the other board that guys split off to?
I believe viking horn is the other site.