Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Everson Griffen to Sign Extension This Morning
Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
Everson is a very good player and made a bunch of fans eat crow that didn't like the deal he signed a couple years ago...  5th most sacks since 2014...  2 Pro Bowls...  Team leader...  he deserves to finish out his career here like Brian Robison.
No question he outperformed that contract...none...he definitely is a tone setter...but, top 3 seems a bit rich IMO...

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
Everson is a very good player and made a bunch of fans eat crow that didn't like the deal he signed a couple years ago...  5th most sacks since 2014...  2 Pro Bowls...  Team leader...  he deserves to finish out his career here like Brian Robison.

I agree. I also think that Griffen is the type of player that feels he has to prove his contract to Zimmer and the team. I think this will just motivate him that much more

In Brez we trust....and so it's good.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
No question he outperformed that contract...none...he definitely is a tone setter...but, top 3 seems a bit rich IMO...
He earned his money that first year of his contract in 2014 with his 12 sacks and 50+ tackles.  He has not matched those numbers since, so I think there is some room for questions.  The guy he replaced (so kinda my measuring stick) never had less than double digit sacks or 45 tackles in a year while being paid Big Money.  Maybe Allen set the bar too high for me as what to expect from DE with a large contract. 

Allen stats. 

2008 - 54 tackles, 14.5 sacks
2009 - 51 tackles, 14.5 sacks
2010 - 60 tackles, 11 sacks
2011 - 66 tackles, 22 sacks
2012 - 45 tackles, 12 sacks
2013 - 52 tackles, 11.5 sacks.

Those are consistent top money numbers.  Griff produced those types of numbers in 2014, but not since.... and the Vikings respond by locking him up for more money.  

I like Griff, love his passion for the game(which sometimes causes jumps offside at the worst times) his play is solid but I think it's fair for fans to expect more than 48 tackles and 8 sacks if the salary is top 5 at the position. 

I could have sworn he disappeared for games on end last year. But then again, seasons become blurs in hindsight. 

He's a good player, an important piece on the D. At times he's just dominating and I still shake my head at the play against Russell Wilson lol!

And as Wet points out, if this contract allows the Vikings to keep other important, young D pieces? 

Well, giddy-up then...

@Bezerker88 fair points...I think there's more to it...hurries, hits, pressures etc...how he is in the position room...also the D Allen played in was pretty different than what Zim runs...Allen had way for freedom...bottom line its a head scratcher for me to think he's top 3 dollar wise...

I don't think you can compare the different defensive systems and expect the individual numbers to bear out. It is more based on how he performs in the system he is in. How many times have we heard that in Zimmer's defense you won't see large sack numbers? I know it was said a lot in 2014 and 2015. Given that, is he performing the role that Zimmer needs him to in order for the Defense to thrive as it has? If the answer is yes, then you pay to keep that piece in place. Screwing the guy over by paying him less to do what he is supposed to do because you measure him up against numbers that don't relate to the style of defense wouldn't be a good idea in terms of keeping our playmakers happy. 

It would be like not paying a shutdown corner because he didn't get a ton of interceptions when the reality is that QB's decided not to throw his way because he blanketed the receiver so well. 

Good discussion/debate,

I agree that the numbers seem high and I am surprised that we even extended Griff beyond the 2 years remaining.  

This is one of many examples, as a die-hard fan, that we have to have faith in our decision-makers.  Well, I guess we don't "have to" but I am Smile.   Zimmer loves his rotations along the Dline and the production numbers will not reflect the scheme.  Zimmer turned around the defense from old and very mediocre to Top 5 in about 2 years.   If we stay in that Top 5 area while Griff is our starting LDE then it is a great move that will allow us to build around him as a keystone.  

This has been a really strange offseason for me.  The draft/free agency and now this signing were not like I expected.  

Quote: @"Mike Olson" said:
I don't think you can compare the different defensive systems and expect the individual numbers to bear out. It is more based on how he performs in the system he is in. How many times have we heard that in Zimmer's defense you won't see large sack numbers? I know it was said a lot in 2014 and 2015. Given that, is he performing the role that Zimmer needs him to in order for the Defense to thrive as it has? If the answer is yes, then you pay to keep that piece in place. Screwing the guy over by paying him less to do what he is supposed to do because you measure him up against numbers that don't relate to the style of defense wouldn't be a good idea in terms of keeping our playmakers happy. 

It would be like not paying a shutdown corner because he didn't get a ton of interceptions when the reality is that QB's decided not to throw his way because he blanketed the receiver so well. 
The fact that he ranks up there in sacks is like gravy on this IMO.  His motor, his tenacity rival that of Allen.  But he brings SOOO much more than the pass rush.  Unlike Allen, EG is a beast in the run game.  Watch him reverse direction and track down a swing pass to a shifty running back and take him down for a loss.  The play against Russell?  Not many LBs make that play, let alone a DE. 

He buys into Zim's system totally.  Watch a Zimmer PC and then watch EG get interviewed.  EG pretty much parrots what Zim sez.  And so he does his job, and does it well in the system.  Stats?  Who needs them?  He is a key cog in that D.

His contract isnt much more than what Jared Allen signed for when you add in inflation