Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exploring one NFL exec’s claim that Kirk Cousins is ‘not a finisher’
Quote: @Poiple said:
@minny65 said:
@Poiple said:
i have said repeatedly that i hope he does do well.  Ive been a fan longer than most of you.  I think it is over all a very strange situation and as the artcles point out. it is a gamble
that is all
OK I guess one man's use of the word strange is different then others.

Again, we think he is a potential franchise QB and paid him as such = not strange but the actual market, supply and demand.  
Minny,  I dont know how anyone cant see it as strange.   The Vikes have three vets on staff and dont offer any of them a new contract.  That by itself is strange but this isnt a bunch of losers.  Its first round draft picks and a guy who just went 13-3 and took them to a NFCC.

Then they give a record breaking contract, GUARENTEED to a QB from another team who has some pretty big questions about him as the article points out.

Most NFL fans I’ve spoken to agree its a a strange situation but here at Purple Thoughts West its a matter of proof that you must be a rabble rouser and hoping the team fails. 

WTF is wrong with you guys?
It's the unlikely, impossible to predict result of a team crashing open its window of contention at the very same time its franchise QB suffers a fluke, career-threatening injury. If the Vikings weren't in their window, none of this would've happened. We should thank our lucky stars that we have a front office that has twice now brought in the kind of QB it'll need to fully realize the potential of this roster.  

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@Poiple said:
@minny65 said:
@Poiple said:
i have said repeatedly that i hope he does do well.  Ive been a fan longer than most of you.  I think it is over all a very strange situation and as the artcles point out. it is a gamble
that is all

Again, we think he is a potential franchise QB and paid him as such = not strange but the actual market, supply and demand.  
Minny,  I dont know how anyone cant see it as strange.   The Vikes have three vets on staff and dont offer any of them a new contract.  That by itself is strange but this isnt a bunch of losers.  Its first round draft picks and a guy who just went 13-3 and took them to a NFCC.

Then they give a record breaking contract, GUARENTEED to a QB from another team who has some pretty big questions about him as the article points out.

Most NFL fans I’ve spoken to agree its a a strange situation but here at Purple Thoughts West its a matter of proof that you must be a rabble rouser and hoping the team fails. 

Here's what it boils down to for me. Why many don't find it strange.
I don't think any Viking fans wants to be reminded of how long and hard we have searched for that ever illusive franchise QB. The 3 on staff last year are accountable for two 1st round picks. Yet we WERE still looking for a safer long term investment. Maybe you view it as strange. I view it as the best opportunity to close the book on it for the near future. Hopefully the next 8 years. Gamble sure, when they weren't guaranteed of landing Kirk before. However strange, not so much. It's a risk 15 years in the making.
I get it.  I do.   i really hope this guy is a winner for years to come.  I am not expecting Erin Rodgers type performance but I guess I am more than a little surprised that this is the guy, the guy you put all of your eggs in one basket.
I remember Denny trying to lure Dan Marino after he retired and Daunte looked terrible in his few opportunities. Him I would exect them to break the bank for.  This feels a bit like if we pay him like the best he will play like the best. It feel forced, a little Herschelish.

Ive been wrong before, Griffen most recently. I didnt expect much from Keenum.
I dont do much prognasticating when it comes to guys but I will be happy to see them be right about Cousins.

@suncoastvike said:
@Poiple said:
@minny65 said:
@Poiple said:
that is all

Here's what it boils down to for me. Why many don't find it strange.
I don't think any Viking fans wants to be reminded of how long and hard we have searched for that ever illusive franchise QB. The 3 on staff last year are accountable for two 1st round picks. Yet we WERE still looking for a safer long term investment. Maybe you view it as strange. I view it as the best opportunity to close the book on it for the near future. Hopefully the next 8 years. Gamble sure, when they weren't guaranteed of landing Kirk before. However strange, not so much. It's a risk 15 years in the making.
I get it.  I do.   i really hope this guy is a winner for years to come.  I am not expecting Erin Rodgers type performance but I guess I am more than a little surprised that this is the guy, the guy you put all of your eggs in one basket.
I remember Denny trying to lure Dan Marino after he retired and Daunte looked terrible in his few opportunities. Him I would exect them to break the bank for.  This feels a bit like if we pay him like the best he will play like the best. It feel forced, a little Herschelish.

Ive been wrong before, Griffen most recently. I didnt expect much from Keenum.
I dont do much prognasticating when it comes to guys but I will be happy to see them be right about Cousins.

I'm not sure either. I just look at it as he's been healthy. He's had 3 straight 4000 yard seasons, we've had 1 in 2009 none since. He's had 25 td seasons. Again we once since 2009. If he's not an elite QB he's at least solid. With a good surrounding cast and full support of ownership and coaches, something he's never had, who knows. He's still young enough to have a Drew Brees like revival. That would be the ultimate Viking dream. Or it could turn out like all our other dreams...don't mean you quit trying though.

I guess part of it is managing expectations.  I think people are expecting a lot from Cousins but whats realistic?  Is he better than Bradford, when Bradford was healthy? I didnt think he was.  Bradford was #1 pick over all?

In 2016 Bradford was 3,877 yards, 20 td, 5 int. Decent stats and similar to what I would hope for this year but he also finished 8-8 with a lot of the same cast as is still here.  Thats going to be pretty disappointing to a lot of people.

Is Cousins better than Matt Stafford?  idk but I wouldnt break the bank for Stafford.
I also wonder if this O line is going to be able to give Cousins time to go through some progressions and let plays develop.  Is the O line better now without Berger?  And what qualities does Cousins have that make him the right choice to play behind that line?
Im a huge Rick fan but I think he really blew it when he failed to secure a starting RT for the season. 

Mostly I ask myself if the Vikes would have been better signing Case and Teddy, let them fight it out in camp and having enough cap left over to sign all of their young stars and improve the O line.  
We will never know of course but it still seems strange.

I guess part of it is managing expectations.  I think people are expecting a lot from Cousins but whats realistic?  Is he better than Bradford, when Bradford was healthy? I didnt think he was.  Bradford was #1 pick over all?

In 2016 Bradford was 3,877 yards, 20 td, 5 int. Decent stats and similar to what I would hope for this year but he also finished 8-8 with a lot of the same cast as is still here.  Thats going to be pretty disappointing to a lot of people.

Is Cousins better than Matt Stafford?  idk but I wouldnt break the bank for Stafford.
I also wonder if this O line is going to be able to give Cousins time to go through some progressions and let plays develop.  Is the O line better now without Berger?  And what qualities does Cousins have that make him the right choice to play behind that line?
Im a huge Rick fan but I think he really blew it when he failed to secure a starting RT for the season. 

Mostly I ask myself if the Vikes would have been better signing Case and Teddy, let them fight it out in camp and having enough cap left over to sign all of their young stars and improve the O line.  
We will never know of course but it still seems strange.
I don't know if 'strange' is the word I'd use (but having said that, its fair also), but its definitely a unique thing. I do think some fans want to brush that aspect under the rug and focus on what the final result was: signing a talented QB in Cousins. Because really, this is what happened and its very unique: the team wins 13 games and goes to the NFCC game and then proceeds to release 3 of the 4 QBs on their roster, one of which had a big hand in getting to those 13 wins, and sign a talented FA QB in his prime (very unique). Also, all 3 of those QBs released were signed by other teams and 2 of them will be starting. 

You know what.....maybe strange is the right word.  :p

the season might depend on Cook’s knee and Griff’s foot as much as Cousins’ arm.

the season might depend on Cook’s knee and Griff’s foot as much as Cousins’ arm.
Sure, but my main concern is the health of the offensive line. Its serviceable to decent fully healthy, much less so with an injury or two. That's the season IMO.

The Vikes have had some terrible luck with the health of O lineman.  It really surprising to me that the O line is a well known weakness for several years and Rick hasnt done a great job of addressing it.
 He is usually very methodical about fixing shortcomings.  I thought i had a read on him and his mad methods. But this O line situation is surprising.  There will be more cuts coming up.  I am aure he will be scouring the wires looking for an opportunity.  Maybe a trade?
Sandejo for a starting RT?

The Vikes have had some terrible luck with the health of O lineman.  It really surprising to me that the O line is a well known weakness for several years and Rick hasnt done a great job of addressing it.
 He is usually very methodical about fixing shortcomings.  I thought i had a read on him and his mad methods. But this O line situation is surprising.  There will be more cuts coming up.  I am aure he will be scouring the wires looking for an opportunity.  Maybe a trade?
Agreed. He got caught napping in this year's Draft for offensive lineman. I'm still in shock they'll be starting the same 5 as last year. If they can stay healthy, I really think they'll be fine. Nothing more than fine, however. But if Reiff goes down early, for instance? Bad news. But that applies to any team's starting LT, to be fair. As you mention, the team's luck with health for the O-line is shitty. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Poiple said:
Agreed. He got caught napping in this year's Draft for offensive lineman. I'm still in shock they'll be starting the same 5 as last year. If they can stay healthy, I really think they'll be fine. Nothing more than fine, however. But if Reiff goes down early, for instance? Bad news. But that applies to any team's starting LT, to be fair. As you mention, the team's luck with health for the O-line is shitty. 
Hill was only a starter because of injury.  Essentially he is a new starter.  

As far as fixing the OL,  what was he suposed to do this year?  I don't recall any cheap OT talent out there and the draft didn't fall as expected so he didn't the best he could.

He added 2 starters via FA and one from the draft last year so this notion that Rick has largely ignored the OL is suspect at best. ..especially considering how nearly every team in the league is short on OL.