• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spielman Haters aren't gonna like
Quote: @Bezerker88 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Bezerker88 said:
@Norseman said:
@Bezerker88 said:
Well son of a Bitch..

Had a long fact filled rely just vanish into nothingness...  It would have changed everyones mind too....   Dammit.   =)

Not worth wasting my time to gather all the facts agian.  I’ll just summerize with this.  Last year, Rick was ranked 28th on some of these lists.  It’s amazing what a 13-3 season with a back up QB can do for one’s reputation.  And then Rick threw that QB away.   
Well, to be accurate, that other QB's contract expired and Rick refused to pay $36M+ for a QB who had one good season in his career (and that while throwing to one of the best pairs of receivers in the league).  This QB also mostly disappeared after one quarter in his first playoff game and then threw one of the stupidest interceptions a Viking has ever thrown to radically shift the momentum in the Championship game.  Any starting QB is a major investment, and safety and consistency are critical factors for any investment.
Since this is the second time our WRs have come up I will retype what I had in the “ghost post” about that...

Rick has spent 2 #1 picks on WR since 2012 and Zero of them are part of that duo.  How did we get that dou?  A hard working bust his ass undrafted player and 5th round pick that was kept off the field until injury(I think) forced our coaches hand.  Diggs was special in his rookie camp, I saw it and posted about it, Treadwell has been average at best in camps.  There is no way to know if Cousins will mesh with this team, the new Coordinatior and coach.   It’s a wait and see thing.  As far as the interception...  Case’s arm was hit during that INT, it’s not like he was running in an open field and threw it late, across his body, back into the middle of the field.   I would have liked to see what Case could have done with this team this year, but you’re right he did play his way into a bigger payday.  I hope Cousins is worth it.  
In fairness we only saw Treadwell in one camp as he missed a lot of camp last year with an injury IIRC after what sounded like a solid start.
Must be why he set the league a blaze with his 7 starts and 200 yard season.  :p
or maybe it was to blame on a QB who thought he only had 2 looks on any given pass play.

or maybe the QB got past two looks but was running for his life.

Quote: @Poiple said:
You can't blame a whole season of locking onto his primary target on a few games of below average protection.  the line is not to blame for all of Cases shortcomings.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Bezerker88 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Bezerker88 said:
@Norseman said:
@Bezerker88 said:
Well son of a Bitch..

Had a long fact filled rely just vanish into nothingness...  It would have changed everyones mind too....   Dammit.   =)

Not worth wasting my time to gather all the facts agian.  I’ll just summerize with this.  Last year, Rick was ranked 28th on some of these lists.  It’s amazing what a 13-3 season with a back up QB can do for one’s reputation.  And then Rick threw that QB away.   
Well, to be accurate, that other QB's contract expired and Rick refused to pay $36M+ for a QB who had one good season in his career (and that while throwing to one of the best pairs of receivers in the league).  This QB also mostly disappeared after one quarter in his first playoff game and then threw one of the stupidest interceptions a Viking has ever thrown to radically shift the momentum in the Championship game.  Any starting QB is a major investment, and safety and consistency are critical factors for any investment.
Since this is the second time our WRs have come up I will retype what I had in the “ghost post” about that...

Rick has spent 2 #1 picks on WR since 2012 and Zero of them are part of that duo.  How did we get that dou?  A hard working bust his ass undrafted player and 5th round pick that was kept off the field until injury(I think) forced our coaches hand.  Diggs was special in his rookie camp, I saw it and posted about it, Treadwell has been average at best in camps.  There is no way to know if Cousins will mesh with this team, the new Coordinatior and coach.   It’s a wait and see thing.  As far as the interception...  Case’s arm was hit during that INT, it’s not like he was running in an open field and threw it late, across his body, back into the middle of the field.   I would have liked to see what Case could have done with this team this year, but you’re right he did play his way into a bigger payday.  I hope Cousins is worth it.  
In fairness we only saw Treadwell in one camp as he missed a lot of camp last year with an injury IIRC after what sounded like a solid start.
Must be why he set the league a blaze with his 7 starts and 200 yard season.  :p
or maybe it was to blame on a QB who thought he only had 2 looks on any given pass play.
Are you kidding?  Treadwell had a 57.1% catch rate, the lowest on the team.  Who would want to throw to that guy?   Wright was targeted 10x less but still managed a 72% catch rate.  Treadwell has sucked no matter who was throwing to him.  He’s only still here because the Vikings spent a #1 on him as the front office proved by cutting a higher producing Wright.   

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Elway ahead of Spielman is a joke. There's a rumor going around Denver that Elway liked QBs who were just like him and that's why he picked the big, strong armed Osweiler and Lynch. He's letting Kubiak make those decisions now, and apparently Kubiak likes QBs who are just like him, thus Case Keenum. 

Elway won a Super Bowl not too long ago and that is weighing too heavy in his favor. But what bold moves did he make to achieve that? He signed Peyton Manning and drafted Von Miller. Yeah, real strokes of genius there. Manning was one of the all-time greats who only wanted to go to Denver. And Von Miller was a can't miss #2 overall pick. But by and large, his drafts have been littered with an incredible amount of busts, especially on the offensive side:  Brock Osweiler, Montee Ball, Cody Latimer, Ty Sambrailo, Paxton Lynch...too early to call Garett Bolles a bust, but he will be soon. 

Bold prediction: Spielman will be at the top of this list next year.
Agree on Elway and even the article, for some reason, indicates that he shouldn't be Top 10:

If this list had been constructed after the 2015 season, Elway would have been near the top spot. If he goes through another season with the same old problems in Denver, then he won't be in the top 10 a year from now. Elway's inability to field a competitive offensive line, find a consistent running back or plan for life after Peyton Manning has grown worrisome. His recent drafts have provided few quality starters, and Elway hasn't picked a Pro Bowler since his first draft yielded Von Miller and Julius Thomas. Nothing can erase Elway's incredible touch in free agency building aSuper Bowl champion, but the signing of Case Keenum speaks to a larger existential crisis. There's a lot of hoping and not enough home-grown talent.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Poiple said:
You can't blame a whole season of locking onto his primary target on a few games of below average protection.  the line is not to blame for all of Cases shortcomings.
I find that hilarious.   It is simply amazing how much people see what they want to see.  All season long Keenum was praised for his ability to feel pressure and respond while keeping his eyes downfield.  This unique ability was said to be better than either Bradford Bridgewater and allowed him to find open recievers while under pressure. 
But dont let me stop you from geinding that old axe there Jimmy.  Wink

Going back to the OP:

I think Rick will move up the list from 8th to 5 or higher with the FA signing of Cousins.  Rick has done well in all phases of being a GM and acquiring talent that the coaches need to coach.  Rick finally had his first HC hire in Zimmer and Zimmer is fast becoming a Top 10 coach if not already.  The thing that sources like NFL dot com do is they compare to all other GM's and are not in a silo like us fans who usually only see our team and our GM's misses but not seeing the rest of the GM's misses.  They get upset when there is not perfection from a personnel standpoint.  Also, a GM's overall job is to get the best players onto the team. He can't control a missed chip shot FG, or a drive killing penalty...that is the responsibility of the coaches.  

Rick has done very well with trades.
Rick has done very well with the drafts...the highest amount of pro bowlers in the drafts since he has been GM.
Rick has done very well with free agents signed with guys like Joseph, Reiff, Remmers, and now Cousins.
Rick has done well with his frist HC hire in Zimmer
Rick has done well in resigning our own free agents and letting others go like Patterson and AP finally.
Rick has done well in extended our guys early to Cap friendly contracts like Theilan ( a steal), Griff, Joseph, Rhodes and now Kendricks.

Rick is fast approaching Top 5 GM's despite a very small minority of name calling posters who have put themselves in a corner with continuous rants of nonsense.  

Quote: @Poiple said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Poiple said:
I find that hilarious.   It is simply amazing how much people see what they want to see.  All season long Keenum was praised for his ability to feel pressure and respond while keeping his eyes downfield.  This unique ability was said to be better than either Bradford Bridgewater and allowed him to find open recievers while under pressure. 
But dont let me stop you from geinding that old axe there Jimmy.  Wink

Yep, poiple tend to see what they want to see.  :p