Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft pick after Richardson signing.
Quote: @minny65 said:
It seems like many posters are putting Remmers at RG after having to fill in for injuries last year and get Hill on the field.  Hill did not play RT better then Remmers had all season.  Has the team indicated switching Remmers to Guard?  I may have missed a reference to that but it seems to have become a common thought on here.

I would not mess with the successful fix of multiple positions along the line last year.  Reiff, fixed the biggest weakness.  Then Remmers fixed the RT position and then drafting Elflein fixed the Center/line call position.  We need Guards.  Berger might be done and Easton was just OK even when healthy.

Their seems to be around 3 first round graded Guards this year which is not too common.  I just looked up Elflein's teammate:
Notable: Price, who played guard for three seasons and moved to center as a senior, started 55 consecutive games at Ohio State to top Luke Fickell’s school record for starts and consecutive starts of 50, set between 1993-96. Price (along with teammate Tyquan Lewis) tied Pat Elflein’s school record for most games played by an Ohio State football player: 55.

Its not just this board...

From the Strib: Whether the Vikings draft a tackle or guard — potentially with pick No. 30 — could determine what position Remmers plays in 2018, according to Zimmer. There might be an opening at right guard, with Joe Berger set to hit free agency, too."It gives us more options," Zimmer said. "If we find a tackle in the draft or if we find a guard in the draft," it could determine Remmers' position. It's worth noting Vikings coaches chose to play Rashod Hill over Remmers at right tackle in both playoff games.
Now that last statement is a little misleading, since the calculation was probably more about Remmers>Sirles than Hill>Remmers.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@minny65 said:
It seems like many posters are putting Remmers at RG after having to fill in for injuries last year and get Hill on the field.  Hill did not play RT better then Remmers had all season.  Has the team indicated switching Remmers to Guard?  I may have missed a reference to that but it seems to have become a common thought on here.

I would not mess with the successful fix of multiple positions along the line last year.  Reiff, fixed the biggest weakness.  Then Remmers fixed the RT position and then drafting Elflein fixed the Center/line call position.  We need Guards.  Berger might be done and Easton was just OK even when healthy.

Their seems to be around 3 first round graded Guards this year which is not too common.  I just looked up Elflein's teammate:
Notable: Price, who played guard for three seasons and moved to center as a senior, started 55 consecutive games at Ohio State to top Luke Fickell’s school record for starts and consecutive starts of 50, set between 1993-96. Price (along with teammate Tyquan Lewis) tied Pat Elflein’s school record for most games played by an Ohio State football player: 55.

From the Strib: Whether the Vikings draft a tackle or guard — potentially with pick No. 30 — could determine what position Remmers plays in 2018, according to Zimmer. There might be an opening at right guard, with Joe Berger set to hit free agency, too."It gives us more options," Zimmer said. "If we find a tackle in the draft or if we find a guard in the draft," it could determine Remmers' position. It's worth noting Vikings coaches chose to play Rashod Hill over Remmers at right tackle in both playoff games.
Now that last statement is a little misleading, since the calculation was probably more about Remmers>Sirles than Hill>Remmers.
I don't get the Remmers to guard talk because I don't think he played very well when filling in during the playoffs. The first round OT's will go before 30. McGlinchey was a possibility before the combine, but he raised his stock quite a bit and will go much earlier. IMO the top OLineman will all be selected before us and won't leave much to choose from. I think Kolton Miller will be an option at OT but I think he is more of a 2nd round prospect who is being over-hyped due to his sub 5.0 forty and record setting broad jump at the combine. Same with some mocks having the Vikings selecting Brian O'Neil from Pitt in the first because he ran 4.80 Forty. If you watch the tape on these guys, they are not first rounders and we would be reaching just to find a tackle so we can move Remmers inside. That's a flawed strategy and hopefully Rick learned his lesson after reaching for Ponder. Billy Price could possibly be available due to the injury and would be my choice at 30. Orlando Brown is falling out of the first round and should be avoided. Price is better than Miller and would be the logical pick. Leave Remmers where he is at until we have someone who isn't a questionable tackle prospect and upgrades the position.   

We have yet to re-sign Shamar Stephen, so if he signs elsewhere, then they could be in the market for more of a run stuffer. Hard to say what we should expect out of Jaleel Johnson. Maybe he materializes in his second year, but he didn't make much of an impact last season.

As for the draft, I think that DE is a fairly big need. Griffen and Robison are getting older, our pass rush clearly slowed down as the season wore on, and now would be a good time to replenish. We can't build our depth up to Philly's level, but it needs to be better than what it is. LB depth is also a concern since both Barr and Kendricks are nearing FA and we don't have anyone else near their level.

One offense, TE and depth at receiver are needs that have yet to be addressed. The OL still needs to be upgraded, especially since Cousins isn't as mobile as Keenum. I'd love an upgrade at G, but RT feels like a big need that is unresolved. We have options in Remmers and Hill, but feels like an area that can still be upgraded.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@minny65 said:

Quote:
Yea I figured the board was getting the inclination from somewhere.

Not to nit-pick but when your read the quote from Zimmer it needs context.  "It gives us more options" Zimmer said.  "If we find a tackle in the draft or if we find a guard in the draft".   Directly after the quote the writer interpret that as determining Remmers position.  

I don't read the direct quote from Zimmer as having anything to do with moving Remmers.  Remmers never played Guard at Carolina or in college from just a brief backgrounder.  He has played R and L Tackle (due to injury) up until filling in for an injured Easton that didn't work out so well.  

I'm hoping for a guard, corner and linebacker in that order with Minnesota's first 3 picks....then more linemen (either offensive or defensive) for depth and receivers with the last 4 picks.

Before we signed Richardson, I was intrigued with the idea of drafting DT Da'Shawn Hand from Alabama. He's 6'4", 297, ran a 4.83 at the combine - talent of a top 10 pick but was never more than a rotational player with sporadic impact in college, so he might be around at our #2 pick. If Zimmer and Patterson could motivate him, he could be a DT version of Danielle Hunter. Less likely now, but as Tyr noted, Shamar Stephen has not yet been re-signed, and Richardson is only on a one-year deal.
I think S is a dark horse possibility for round 1 - our secondary got exposed a bit in the NFCC. Justin Reid, Stanford,is Eric Reid's younger brother and a very smart player who might be able to step in as quickly as Kendricks did at MLB.
The love for Billy Price seems really strong on this board, and a lot of comments refer to "chemistry with Elflein" or such. Do Pro players really need that? Most seem to find their place without having a pal from the same college team. Price is good, but I wouldn't overvalue the Ohio State connection.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
Before we signed Richardson, I was intrigued with the idea of drafting DT Da'Shawn Hand from Alabama. He's 6'4", 297, ran a 4.83 at the combine - talent of a top 10 pick but was never more than a rotational player with sporadic impact in college, so he might be around at our #2 pick. If Zimmer and Patterson could motivate him, he could be a DT version of Danielle Hunter. Less likely now, but as Tyr noted, Shamar Stephen has not yet been re-signed, and Richardson is only on a one-year deal.
I think S is a dark horse possibility for round 1 - our secondary got exposed a bit in the NFCC. Justin Reid, Stanford,is Eric Reid's younger brother and a very smart player who might be able to step in as quickly as Kendricks did at MLB.
The love for Billy Price seems really strong on this board, and a lot of comments refer to "chemistry with Elflein" or such. Do Pro players really need that? Most seem to find their place without having a pal from the same college team. Price is good, but I wouldn't overvalue the Ohio State connection.
 we will be in great shape if we land Price,  great player, great flexibility, great future and the fact that he has a previous relationship with our young C is a huge plus.  I think Kendricks and Barr have been helped by their familiarity with each other.

I say we should turn our draft card in on time and draft somebody.  Smile    Or not....last time it yielded us K Williams???

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@GeorgiaVike said:
Wow! VF.com is still alive....Trade up for Roquan Smith. I know he’s got a medical red flag... but that kid is a stud.

He’d replace Barr when we cut ties or trade him and he’d slide in to a leadership role. 
Still alive and kickin'...  Glad to see you drop by GV.  Miss you around these parts, bro.

BOOM
where ya been GV?  welcome back!  missed you around the ol homestead.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
I say we should turn our draft card in on time and draft somebody.  Smile    Or not....last time it yielded us K Williams???
No, no...that was all part of the plan - lower picks got smaller contracts so Red saved a few bucks. Geez, talk about a snake...