Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins to the Vikings already a done deal?
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
Just an FYI on a potential deal with Cousins, the Vikings can offer roughly $50K less per every $1M compared to the Jets off of income taxes alone. So for example if the Jets offer a 5 year $150M deal the Vikings could offer a 5 year $142.5M deal and Kirk would be taking home the same amount. 
counting MI reciprocity right?

At that price you really have to wonder what our other three QBs price will be.

With the need to add to reaign a few young stars and the need for quality depth to prevent a repeat of the Vikings playoff performance, that extra money would go a long way.

90 million guranteed for a mediocre QB is starting to feel a tiny bit like the Herschel Walker trade in that it will affect the teams future for several years.

If Teddy goes elsewhere and plays great.....

Quote: @Poiple said:

With the need to add to reaign a few young stars and the need for quality depth to prevent a repeat of the Vikings playoff performance, that extra money would go a long way.

90 million guranteed for a mediocre QB is starting to feel a tiny bit like the Herschel Walker trade in that it will affect the teams future for several years.

It would be nothing like the Herschel Walker trade. That was the biggest cluster$%^& in NFL history. Its not even a comparison.

Players/Draft Picks Received by the Dallas Cowboys How could anything compare even remotely to this unmitigated disaster? Listen, I get that some fans aren't down with signing Cousins, which is cool, but let's not exaggerate the potential negative impact. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Poiple said:

It would be nothing like the Herschel Walker trade. That was the biggest cluster$%^& in NFL history. Its not even a comparison.

Players/Draft Picks Received by the Dallas Cowboys How could anything compare even remotely to this unmitigated disaster? Listen, I get that some fans aren't down with signing Cousins, which is cool, but let's not exaggerate the impact. 

thank god im barely young enough to have cared about off season trades. 

So Poiple, three seasons of 4k yards and top 6 QBR posted by Cousins is mediocre. What does that make Keenum then? 

Quote: @Bullazin said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
Just an FYI on a potential deal with Cousins, the Vikings can offer roughly $50K less per every $1M compared to the Jets off of income taxes alone. So for example if the Jets offer a 5 year $150M deal the Vikings could offer a 5 year $142.5M deal and Kirk would be taking home the same amount. 
counting MI reciprocity right?
Correct. 

Quote: @FSUVike said:
So Poiple, three seasons of 4k yards and top 6 QBR posted by Cousins is mediocre. What does that make Keenum then? 
look, id rather keep Teddy and see what he has before giving up on him.  however, if we dont keep him, im most comfortable with Cousins. seeing people down play how good he has been is kinda weird. i can understand worrying about his turnovers at inoppurtune times. but the guy is a top ten qb. he played on badly ran Redskins team who never appear orgnaized and lost a good GM to alcoholism. 

who cares how much we pay him. if the staff and gm like the idea, i like the idea. i actually like the 3 year option. use his prime years and groom a QB taken in this draft. 

im aftually ok with any of our four options. we are still best team in NFC north and will have a playoff team. chip chair chance in playoffs

We lost the NFC Championship -- and almost lost the Divisional game -- because of deficiencies on the O-Line and D-Line.  Keenum was fine.

It's up for debate (ha!), but I think Teddy gives us the most production per dollar.  Use the draft and the rest of the cap to improve the Lines, and let's go!

Quote: @SmashmouthD said:

It's up for debate (ha!), but I think Teddy gives us the most production per dollar.  Use the draft and the rest of the cap to improve the Lines, and let's go!
A lot of people are making arguments based on a "price" for Teddy Bridgewater that has no market basis, and I believe Bridgewater himself would not agree with any of the bargain rates which are assumed. Fans have argued that we can sign BOTH Bridgewater and Bradford for less than Cousins, or suggested numbers like $10M/year or less for Bridgewater.
Why would Bridgewater think he is worth so little? Here are 4 QBs who reached free agency after their rookie contracts:
  • Brock Osweiler: 7 career starts, 11 TDs, 6 INTs - 4 year contract for $18M/year
  • Mike Glennon: 18 career starts, 30 TDs, 15 INTs - 3 year contract for $15M/year
  • Jimmy Garoppolo: 7 career starts, 12 TDs, 5 INTs - 5 year contract for $27.5M/year
  • Teddy Bridgewater: 28 career starts, 28 TDs, 22 INTs
One of these is far more accomplished than the others, and also has an 11-5 season, playoff start, and +3,000 yard passing season on his resume. So why would Bridgewater and his agent say, "Oh thank you so much, Vikings, I'm delighted to sign a deal for half what Osweiler or Glennon got - even though the salary cap and QB salaries are even higher then when they signed!"
If Bridgewater had somehow hit free agency after his 2015 season, he would be offered contracts of $20M per year and above.
The only reason you can discount Teddy is if you believe he is damaged goods. If the Vikings have approached him with that kind of offer, he doesn't want it - he doesn't believe he is damaged goods. He is going to argue with other teams that he is 100% healthy and should be judged on his NFL achievements. Maybe he's fooling himself, but that's his right and he might find some team is impressed with his health and workouts and will give him a lot - at least more than $10M, which is a low salary by NFL starting quarterback standards.
The idea we could either have Cousins, or have Bridgewater PLUS an extra $20M in cap space, is unrealistic. No way Bridgewater would take a cheap deal unless every other team rejects him in free agency.

I'm pretty certain that if Cousins DOES get a record-setting contract, the Packers will break the record with Erin shortly afterward.