Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins to the Vikings already a done deal?
$90M guaranteed over the first 3 years?  Those are pretty daunting numbers. Maybe intended to get the Jets to go nuts and offer $120M guaranteed. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/vincentfran...4000164f97

If they commit to that kind of money they better be right and he better be able to elevate the play of those around him.  That isn't the kind of money you give to a guy that needs loads of talent around him to win.  He'll need to be a legit franchise QB not a top 15 QB.  Of course the structure has a big impact on how it works out cap wise but that is a lot of damn money tied up in that one spot.

Of course this could be Kirks agent putting the screws to the Broncos and Jets trying to get them to flinch and do something stupid.

Unless all media outlets are wrong on a massive scale, this Cousins to the Vikings thing looks real. Obviously, the Vikings view this as the best way to go. Moving on from Bridgewater and Keenum is very interesting and telling.

So, the free agent period opens March 14th.   But if we are to believe the media, it opened at the combine in secret.   I probably didn't pay that much attention in past years because we were never in the mix for big $ free agents most years.    Is it just the case that tampering runs rampant in the weeks prior to the actual date that negotiating is allowed?   Is it the case that a team can talk to a player's agent all they want about that player and it's not tampering as long as they don't talk to that player himself?   Just curious.   

For my money every story is b.s., leaked to reporters by agents as quid pro quo for helping to manipulate the process.   I don't believe any of it at this point.   At this point I would actually bet that we are going to re-up Bradford and maybe sign someone like McCown as a backup.  That's based more on interviews with Zimmer and Rick than any "breaking story".

Absolutely nobody on the inside is believable at this point. Coaches and GMs want to disguise their interests to avoid having to compete with other teams for players. Players and agents want to make it appear that the player is fully healthy, in huge demand, and getting promises of huge amounts of money.  

Because of tampering rules, everything involves undisclosed teams and mystery personnel guys and everything has to be fuzzy. Which is great if you are trying to manipulate the process.

As fans, we want to know the real situation and do not want to be manipulated.  But we have only two choices here: put up with the bullshit, recognizing it for what it is, while trying to glean some kernels of truth from the fog of lies; or tune out until the FA period begins in about a week.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Unless all media outlets are wrong on a massive scale, this Cousins to the Vikings thing looks real. Obviously, the Vikings view this as the best way to go. Moving on from Bridgewater and Keenum is very interesting and telling.
I have to agree and the fact that the Vikings have not extended anyone YET is telling.  To me.

Now they could decide to offer someone a deal right before free agency but that seems strange too.

It does not infer they had much confidence in the player they would sign.

Why wait so long if that is the QB you wanted all along?

Seems to me the Vikings are not really confident in any of the current 3 QBs.

They may have to "settle" for one of them but if they really believed in one of them then it would have been over by now.

At least that is what I think.

So why are we talking about it incessantly?

Because the team, not us, has not made a decision.

I think they will get Cousins without a doubt.

He said he wanted to win and this is the best team.

The money will not be an issue.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
I'm sure the interest is there...Whether it comes to fruition is a whole other matter...I

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
I'm sure the interest is there...Whether it comes to fruition is a whole other matter...I'm still not convinced Cousins ends up a Viking next week. 
I agree, honestly. I put it at 60-40 it happens. But the Jets could go nuts and Cousins might just be looking for a huge contract only. I don't blame the guy in whatever way he goes. Another team could enter late in the game, also.

Look -- I'm with Paul Allen on this one. Until Sheftie says it's a done deal? It aint a done deal.

And last I checked, he hasn't said anything near what these kind of reports are saying. 

I wont believe 99.9% of the crap reported this time of year.