Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Case For and Against Tagging Keenum
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@StickyBun said:
@purplefaithful said:
@StickyBun said:
@FSUVike said:
Cousins will get money he can't refuse from either the Jets or Broncos.

Minnesota will sign Case to a multi-year deal with an early out. He will regress into what I'm going to call Andy Dalton 2.0, good enough to get to the Playoffs, not good enough to get to the Super Bowl.

In a few years Minnesota will be looking to Draft a QB to compete with Sloter, who hasn't developed as much as the team would like.

If you look in your heart you know that this is the most likely outcome. And as Vikings fans we should be used to it by now but it will hurt any way. Sad
I wish I could argue with this rationale, but how can you really if you're being honest as a Viking's fan? Odds are this team won't maximize its potential because of weakness at QB and it will turn problematic in the near future. Sigh. I mean, I see options with these 3 but any great ones? Nope.
If the front office believes Cousins can get them over the top, more so than Keenum and without detriment to signing young talent, they'd damn well better do it. This is exactly the situation I am sick and tired of after all these decades of no SB trophies. 
I agree in theory, pf....if they like Cousins, if they feel strongly internally about him then $%^&ing for it. I just think that teams like the Jets, Browns and Broncos are going to send his contract into orbit. And contrary to what is rumored that Cousins said, he's not turning down a shit ton of $$$$ from the Jets or Browns. He just won't do it and I wouldn't blame him. I'm sure if he had his preference with all things being equal, he'd choose Minnesota. 

I think the Vikings are going to go the easy and safe route with this. Its weird: as fun as last season was, I have this sense that the Vikings are going to take a step back this upcoming season.
I mean, no team in NFL history has improved after going 13-3 in the previous season. So you aren't exactly going out on a limb there Wink
If Cousins came here then it is not going to be his fault that they do not won another 13 games unless he totally regresses.

If he has a similar season then the issue will be elsewhere.

Probably other teams getting better.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/21/kirk-c...ts-broncos
The article pretty much screams: "Kirk Cousins needs the Vikings more than the Vikings need Kirk Cousins" 

Quote: @comet52 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Norse said:
The reality is Teddy can not make the majority of the intermediate-deep throws that Sam made against the Saints, and has never produced the results we saw from Keenum this season. Add in the knee injury and I just can't put my trust in him as THE guy. After being out of football for 2 years.
As someone mentioned don't count Sam out, if that cleanup of his knee fixed the problem.
Reality is you are passing judgement on a kid who was only entering his 3rd year,  had made improvements in each of his ford 2 years, and from all accounts was looking to make a big leap into that 3rd year.  Reality is you don't know what Teddy can or cannot do at this point.  The coaches know,  and they've said he is looking very good,  his teammates know and they say the same,  but you want to create your own version of "reality"?

I am actually to the point of hoping he does get to move on,  because so many fans here are expecting him to fail that no matter how good he would play it would never be good  enough.   So many people are getting so invested in the notion of him being unable to improve on what we saw in 15 or that his leg is going to fall off that he will never be able to convince them otherwise.
If the front office were as high on TB as you are we wouldn't be having this discussion.  They'd have already signed a deal to make him their guy for 2018.   

But the reality looks like a lot more like they are hoping to toll him while they come up with a different plan and keep him in reserve.   Honestly if there is an injured Viking qb who when healthy can produce at franchise level it's Bradford, not Teddy.  If you want to roll the dice on a bum knee roll it on Sam's, the upside if it works is a lot higher.

The team has a brief window of opportunity here and a franchise level qb can get them to the promised land.  It's a hare-brained gamble to say Teddy, Sloter and some 3rd guy is your plan after your 13-3 NFCC run.    Is the franchise serious about winning a SB or are they just dicking around smoking hopium like fans?   What happens if they go with this plan and TB can't cut it?  Oh well, start over and waste the few years long window of opportunity that is here NOW.   But hey we saved money... hurray money!   Sorry no SB but you fans should feel good cuz we saved MONEY!  
Where do i say Ted,  Sloter and a 3rd year guy? 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
The article pretty much screams: "Kirk Cousins needs the Vikings more than the Vikings need Kirk Cousins" 
That remains to be seen, really. 

Quote: @Norse said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Show me a list of players that have dislocated their knee.  I van only think of a handful and know of 1 that came back,  but they were WRs and RBs which are much more physically demanding positions on the knee.

Teddy was a kid when he was drafted, and was only beginning to mature when he got hurt.  I think any issues that we had with his arm were going to be laid to rest as he matured and the Vikings put a decent line in front of him and gave him some quality targets and decent play calling.   All things Case had the advantages of when people want to make comparisons.

If he was a running QB I could understand the concern of his knee holding up,  but he isnt so I think if the coaches are happy with where he is at in relation to 2016 and his mobility is on par with then,  no reason not to give him a shot.
This is a quote from Zimmer.
Vikings 
"We researched Teddy's injury, there were 24 of these similar types of injuries through all sports. half of them never came back, and I think the earliest any of them came back was 24 months"Do you franchise a quarterback with an injury which history has shown only half of them ever being able to play again?
Doesn't answer my question.  

Does anyone really believe that we would've won the SB, or as least beaten Philly if we had Cousins playing QB instead of Case?  No way do I believe that for a second.  Getting Cousins might improve the QB spot in some areas, but not necessarily all that much.  Case moves around better and made several great plays while scrambling.  Not sure Cousins can do those things.

I thought Case outplayed Cousins when the Vikes beat the Redskins.  Case was throwing darts and was way more efficient between the two.

The thought of the Vikings making a guy like Cousins the highest paid QB just sounds wrong to me.  I understand overspending on a great QB, and maybe that's my problem; I just don't see Cousins as a great QB.

I'd be more than ok with the QB combo platter of Case, Teddy, and Sloter going into next season.

&feature=onebox

Quote: @pumpf said:
@Poiple said:
with all of the case criticism you would think he lead us to a 7-9 season.  smh....

Again with the "led" the team to 13-3?  He was a part of the team.  But everyone (without an agenda) knows that the defense was our strongest link.  If anyone, THEY led us to 13-3.
But, of course, I wouldn't be so myopic as to say that any one person- or even side of the ball- was responsible for our successful REGULAR season.  

You see, Poiple, the problem with giving Case credit for 13-3... means that you also have to "credit" him with our lack of success in the NFCCG.  And if that's really who he is, why would we want him back?
Thats the least i telligent thing i have seen you say.  He is the QB, the position is the undisputed team leader.
His stats were amazing when he got a bit of blocking.  He created and extended plays.  He did more than anyone else in that position has done.  And when the D cant stop anyone and gives up points like a sieve and the oline is is injured, shuffled and then reshuffled and the QB has the most pressures of anyone in the playoffs... ya lets blame the QB.
you guys prove their is no rational discussion with you.
Sure lets go 13-3 and kick him to the curb and go for two who have never had that success.  Lets credit all the wins to the team and all the losses to the Qb.  smgdh....  Im done discussing it.  

Quote: @HappyViking said:
Does anyone really believe that we would've won the SB, or as least beaten Philly if we had Cousins playing QB instead of Case?  No way do I believe that for a second.  Getting Cousins might improve the QB spot in some areas, but not necessarily all that much.  Case moves around better and made several great plays while scrambling.  Not sure Cousins can do those things.

I thought Case outplayed Cousins when the Vikes beat the Redskins.  Case was throwing darts and was way more efficient between the two.

The thought of the Vikings making a guy like Cousins the highest paid QB just sounds wrong to me.  I understand overspending on a great QB, and maybe that's my problem; I just don't see Cousins as a great QB.

I'd be more than ok with the QB combo platter of Case, Teddy, and Sloter going into next season.

&feature=onebox
So supporting cast has nothing to do with QB performance? In that game Case was throwing to Diggs & Thielen while Kirk was throwing to Crowder and Doctson. Or maybe Grant was his second best option.  Rudolph is better than the corpse of Vernon Davis. The Washington O-Line had all its Starters playing together for the first time in a while and are they really any good even when healthy? The run game scares no one and Minnesota has a far superior Defense.

A lot of Kirk detractors wanted to see him elevate a talentless team. He didn't. Why? Because he's not a TIER 1 QB!

There are currently only 4 QBs that can make chicken salad out of chicken poop. And I hate to burst bubbles but Brady, Rodgers, Brees and Ben won't be playing in purple next year.

Cousins is a Tier 2 QB that can take a contender over the top as the SI.article Sticky linked points out. And he doesn't have any injury concerns or questions about repeating a career year.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@HappyViking said:

&feature=onebox
So supporting cast has nothing to do with QB performance? In that game Case was throwing to Diggs & Thielen while Kirk was throwing to Crowder and Doctson. Or maybe Grant was his second best option.  Rudolph is better than the corpse of Vernon Davis. The Washington O-Line had all its Starters playing together for the first time in a while and are they really any good even when healthy? The run game scares no one and Minnesota has a far superior Defense.

A lot of Kirk detractors wanted to see him elevate a talentless team. He didn't. Why? Because he's not a TIER 1 QB!

There are currently only 4 QBs that can make chicken salad out of chicken poop. And I hate to burst bubbles but Brady, Rodgers, Brees and Ben won't be playing in purple next year.

Cousins is a Tier 2 QB that can take a contender over the top as the SI.article Sticky linked points out. And he doesn't have any injury concerns or questions about repeating a career year.
Do you think the Vikes would've made it to the SB with Cousins at QB?  We were one win away, and I doubt Cousins would've taken this team any further than Case.  I think going with Case and getting more FAs with the probable 8 - 10 million savings would make more sense.