Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Yikes
This ridiculous Darnold trade at midseason thing is just hanging out there. He hasn't played one snap in the regular season but this stupid rumor is getting kicked around by these fringe sites to keep the clicks and view coming.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

(06-26-2024, 12:46 PM)MaroonBells Wrote: I think this is a pretty good idea. It would improve the quality of the game and the NFL should support that. 

I know one thing: if Darnold has a good year it's going to change the way NFL teams approach drafting and developing young QBs.

Maybe, I'm going to respectfully remain a skeptic...Impatience is a strong human emotion. And professional one as well. 

As far as roster sizes and composition goes, imo there is a bigger influencer right around the corner than developing QB's....

The 18 game regular season schedule.

(06-30-2024, 06:11 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: This ridiculous Darnold trade at midseason thing is just hanging out there. He hasn't played one snap in the regular season but this stupid rumor is getting kicked around by these fringe sites to keep the clicks and view coming.

Its not just fringe! 

Score North radio was bantering about just this last week...All they see is the hole in the 25 draft re: mid rd picks. 

Their scenario was (b4 the trade deadline) Darnold for a #3, move Mullens to starter and JJM to #2.

(06-30-2024, 09:18 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: Its not just fringe! 

Score North radio was bantering about just this last week...All they see is the hole in the 25 draft re: mid rd picks. 

Their scenario was (b4 the trade deadline) Darnold for a #3, move Mullens to starter and JJM to #2.

It's a Catch-22. The only way a trade makes sense for another team is if Darnold is having a terrific season. And if Darnold is having a terrific season, the Vikings would not trade him. It's more likely they'd extend him. 

Everyone seems so eager to twist reality to get the rookie in the game, when I think it's pretty clear the Vikings favor the patient, sit-a-year approach the Chiefs and Packers took with Mahomes and Love.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

Can we please not mention Love in the same breath as Mahomes?

He aint worthy...

(06-30-2024, 10:25 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: Can we please not mention Love in the same breath as Mahomes?

He aint worthy...

Nope, not even close, and I'm not even 100% convinced he can repeat what he did the second half of last year. But those are probably the two most recent examples that argue for the "sit-a-year" camp. There are others: Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Palmer, Rivers, Romo, Cousins....with Sanchez, Mariota, Winston and Wentz being failures that argue against starting a QB right away. 

Of course there are always exceptions. No amount of sitting helped Tim Tebow or Jake Locker, and starting right away didn't seem to adversely affect Joe Burrow and Russell Wilson. But it's hard to look at the data and not come away convinced there is a clear leader in this debate.

(06-30-2024, 10:45 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Nope, not even close, and I'm not even 100% convinced he can repeat what he did the second half of last year. But those are probably the two most recent examples that argue for the "sit-a-year" camp. There are others: Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Palmer, Rivers, Romo, Cousins....with Sanchez, Mariota, Winston and Wentz being failures that argue against starting a QB right away. 

Of course there are always exceptions. No amount of sitting helped Tim Tebow or Jake Locker, and starting right away didn't seem to adversely affect Joe Burrow and Russell Wilson. But it's hard to look at the data and not come away convinced there is a clear leader in this debate.

I think age is a factor, as well as how much passing you did in college. Will Levis is 25 years old already. JJM is 21 years old and won't be 22 until next year. CJ Stround did a really nice job last season, but he also threw a bunch at Ohio State. The right trajectory for McCarthy is to sit his ass as much as possible this season, if not the whole year. One size does not fit all, of course, its been said before and I agree.