Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kirk is pissed about Penix
Ive heard it countless times when talking about Cousins and others shrewd contract negotiations....it's just business, well drafting the most important position when your starter is 35 and coming off a season ending injury is just smart business.

Another take I heard on NFL radio yesterday about it was like th8s...your QB has been a 10 year starter in the NFL and has 1 career playoff win in 5 attempts and is 35 years old....how do you not draft a QB with a roster like ATL currently has in the division they are in?
[-] The following 2 users Like JimmyinSD's post:

Exactly the take I have been pounding the table for with our Vikings the last 5+ seasons and really forever. If the Vikings resigned Kirk to close to the deal Atlanta gave him would anyone here be crying if we still drafted JJ at 11? Very few. That is a succession plan at the most important position in the NFL. I think only a few fans would be critical if we kept Cousins and drafted Penix at 11. I think only a few fans would be critical if JJ went to Atlanta and we then picked Penix at 11 without Cousins in the fold.

Easy to be critical but Kirk is coming off a major injury that can reoccur at any moment which was one of the main reasons I did not want to commit to him beyond 2 years, at around 90, which wasn't happening.

Now I am not a huge Penix fan, but I have always been a vocal advocate to carpe diem when your identified QB is sitting there. So basically, I have no problem with the pick. It is total crapshoot especially at QB. Atlanta had the brass balls to draft the guy they wanted, good for them. In 3 years if Penix is leading them to the playoffs the folks that are most critical now will be fanboys of the great decision Smile

(04-26-2024, 03:04 PM)medaille Wrote: I think if Kirk was 35 year old uninjured Aaron Rodgers, I'd be fully on team draft a different position.  I'm just of the camp that if you don't have an elite QB, you need to keep drafting one until you get one and I think Penix has that potential as much as any other prospect, although the injury history is a little scary.  I'm not a fan of waiting until the QB is off your team and you are desperate to draft the next option, so using that pick for a QB and not a starter at another position is just the cost of finding an elite QB to me.

Like JJ, Darrisaw, and Turner could all be #1 at their positions for the next decade and without an elite QB, we're probably hoping they win a SB, but getting an elite QB shifts it to how many SBs will they win.

I can totally see Kirk being blindsided, but he's just not elite enough to not have competition.  I imagine they are where we were.  Hoping that Kirk is going to get them to the promiseland, but leaning heavily on the hope side of things.  I certainly don't feel confident that Kirk plus Turner made them an immediate SB contender.

I tried to quote this post with my comment above.  Not sure about using this new site between quote and reply Smile

Fuck the Falcons…!!!  Angel
[-] The following 2 users Like Kentis's post:

It doesn't make sense and nobody is going to convince me otherwise. 4 years, $180 M...$100 M guaranteed that's the contract Kirk Cousins just signed. You draft a QB at #8 in round 1? Nope. Its fucking stupid.
[-] The following 3 users Like StickierBuns's post:

[attachment=31 Wrote:StickierBuns pid='228223' dateline='1714253772']It doesn't make sense and nobody is going to convince me otherwise. 4 years, $180 M...$100 M guaranteed that's the contract Kirk Cousins signed. You draft a QB at #8 in round 1? Nope. Its fucking stupid.

Sticky is right goddamn it…! Wink Tongue

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 2 users Like Kentis's post:

(04-27-2024, 04:36 PM)StickierBuns Wrote: It doesn't make sense and nobody is going to convince me otherwise. 4 years, $180 M...$100 M guaranteed that's the contract Kirk Cousins just signed. You draft a QB at #8 in round 1? Nope. Its fucking stupid.

If he’s the real deal, it’s a good pick.  If he busts, it’s a terrible pick.  The dumbest part of what they did is paying the ransom Cousins demanded.   I understand what you’re getting at, but there is some logic to picking a qb there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Waterboy's post:

Now that the Falcons have Penix, maybe Kirk can give the Falcons a hometown discount.

Well the Falcons have pick issues potentially for one with the tampering situation. On top of it, they will probably not have a chance at a QB that high in Kirks tenure. They are picking at 8 and wont pick there again for the foreseeable future. They just took their QB when they could.

With that said, that was fucking dumb. You pick Turner or Murphy with that pick. Or if you want to go the other way, you pick Odunze and just out score everyone. I believe they messed up completely
[-] The following 1 user Likes Canthony's post: