Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DJ's first mock
Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@pattersaur said:
@supafreak84 said:
Per Tony Pauline, the Vikings have a "lot of interest" in Texas DT Byron Murphy. Maybe DJ was on to something here...
It’s not my preferred choice but if the Wilf Era is any indication, I have to assume the Vikings Plan A is to resign Kirk and draft defense. The reports that we tried to trade up last year are intriguing, but we didn’t.

No matter how badly you, me, and most of this board would love to see a QB picked early, I am already bracing for it to not happen. In that event, DT would be a good pick. I still believe it’s either Kirk or a FRP QB. I do not think it will be both. Let’s say we resign Kirk to big money and the rookie looks awesome in the preseason… what then? Or Kirk misses time and the team has to decide on Mullens (or whoever) vs the rookie. What then? With the way the Vikings have treated Kirk’s backup position the entire time he’s been here, I’ll believe the Mentor Kirk and Padawan FRP when I see it. 
Just my opinion, but trading into the top 3 for one of those QB's isn't going to happen. Too expensive and the fact that the top 3 teams are QB needy makes it even harder to move up since you need two to tango. 

I'm just at the point where I think we take the top rated front seven defensive player on the board, wether that's Dalls Turner, Murphy or whomever. Get somebody that can cause some havoc up front. After that, let's pull a Bridgewater and trade back into the late first round and take either McCarthy, Penix or Nix. I think this is how it's trending currently and would be a smart way to play it. 
i have a feeling that there will be a lot of play for those picks 25 on this year,  unless of course teams get nervous and just take their QBs at their picks instead of risking losing out on their chance to trade back in.

I think KAM's going to risk things by taking a good D player at #11 and trade back up for a McCarthy, Nix or Penix. Too expensive to move way up. I think its possible to get a Maye or Daniels if one makes it to #4 and Arizona. But does Minnesota like one of those guys enough?

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I think KAM's going to risk things by taking a good D player at #11 and trade back up for a McCarthy, Nix or Penix. Too expensive to move way up. I think its possible to get a Maye or Daniels if one makes it to #4 and Arizona. But does Minnesota like one of those guys enough?

I would approach it differently. I don't want to trade draft picks in order to trade back into the first. This team has too many needs to do that. Instead I would want to trade down from No. 11 to draft a QB & obtain as many picks in the top 100 that I can & I say this realizing that I would be passing on a top Edge or Murphy at No.11. There will still be quality Edges & IDLs available in the 2nd round.

Quote: @Knucklehead said:
@StickyBun said:

I would approach it differently. I don't want to trade draft picks in order to trade back into the first. This team has too many needs to do that. Instead I would want to trade down from No. 11 to draft a QB & obtain as many picks in the top 100 that I can & I say this realizing that I would be passing on a top Edge or Murphy at No.11. There will still be quality Edges & IDLs available in the 2nd round.
Analytics will tell you to trade down every pick, so I'm not opposed to it. The Vikings can pick up their missing 3rd simply by trading back 3 slots. 

Quote: @Knucklehead said:
@StickyBun said:

I say this knowing it goes against what I've been preaching,  but in a long game thought process,  I think one of the biggest issues with not resigning Cousins is that it really tips our hand in the draft in terms of ability to trade down and still get our choice of the remaining QBs.  Hell even staying put invites teams to jump in front of us for their guy.  Until we take our guy other QB needy teams are going to view whatever pick we hold as the one to trade in front of,  and team with positional flexibility shortly before us will be shopping the shit out of their picks to those QB needy teams. 

I love the notion of dropping back and adding day 2 picks,  but I prefer the thought of getting our guy regardless of where it happens.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I dont know how much they'll end-up liking any of the tier 2 qb's? 

I would sure hope they'd try to make a play for either one of those guys (Maye/Daniels) if they were there @ 4.

Then prop-up the D with DL or CB with 2nd pick.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Knucklehead said:
@StickyBun said:

Analytics will tell you to trade down every pick, so I'm not opposed to it. The Vikings can pick up their missing 3rd simply by trading back 3 slots. 

The missing 3rd also factors in as a single 4th won't be enough draft capital to trade back into the 1st. We would also have to include a high pick in next years draft. That's a hard NO for me.