Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So we ALL know now where we stand at QB??
Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@StickyBun said:
@VikingOracle said:
@StickyBun said:
@VikingOracle said:
@StickyBun said:
@VikingOracle said:
@MaroonBells said:
@VikingOracle said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
Games like yesterday really REALLY make you appreciate what we have in Cousins.

Anyone notice yesterday that the pass blocking and play calling seemed to get better when Mullens took over? It didn't. It just seemed that way, because Mullens ran the offense the way it was supposed to be run. He wasn't perfect, but he was a nice midpoint between the MVP-like play from Cousins and the WTF-like play from Dobbs. 
Mullens should be better with a week of prep. Mullens vs. Browning next Saturday in Cincy. And yes, the play calling always looks better when you don't have complete incompetence (Dobbs) at QB. 

I think it is a mistake not to start Hall going forward.  I don't care about the playoffs at this point as any game in the playoffs will be a serious beat down -- for me, it is all about player development at this point.
Understandable. But I think you're smart enough to know why a team in playoff contention can't and won't ever think that way. 
Still feels this way?
Sure, if they are still in contention. Why would it change after an overtime loss to the Bengals on the road? Its the same premise. 
So, you are on team Mullens until the Vikes are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.
I'm on the team that the coaches want to run out there. They know the roster and players much better than I do. I have reservations about Mullens, but if KOC thinks that's the dude, than what else is there to do? I'm all about doing whatever is best until the team is eliminated from the playoffs. It obviously isn't Jaren Hall or he'd be playing.

Question: are you or other fans really, really thinking you know better? That somehow KOC isn't doing what he thinks is best and most optimal way to go each and every week? 
No offense, Sticky, but your question is a little ironic on a Viking fan board.  If we weren't permitted to second guess anything done by Vikings coaches and management, well .....  

I am also confused because you wrote in another thread: "I'm not sure throwing Hall in for the last 3 games against NFCN opponents that both could be in the playoffs will be that telling about his future. But after seeing what Mullens did yesterday, why the hell not?"   
Because what they WILL do won't always jibe with what I THINK they should do. And that's fine with me. I've second guessed plenty, but I also don't want KOC and KAM fired and the Wilfs to sell the team. Fans can be pretty extreme week to week. I think some fans really think the coaches are stupid. Sometimes plays work and sometimes they don't, in every game every week. 
Sometimes coaches are stupid, front office people are stupid, and owners calling the shots are stupid. Just because someone has been given a job or a title doesn't mean they are deserving, know what they are doing, or are beyond reproach. That goes for football and in life. 
for the last twenty years Vikings fans should know what there going to get for most part with a year or two of a borderline legitimate teams and the rest with a gravitational pull to where they usually end up. The Vikings and Minnesota Wild seem to be mirror franchises in different leagues.

I mean be real no one knows shit about Hall outside of the coaches that see him in practice. They are the only ones that know where he is at right now. He is a 5th round pick and won't see playing unless they are eliminated and even then maybe not depending on how some of the other variables play out. I guess there is some slim hope, optimistic view or entertainment value because he is not a known commodity to fans. He is something tantalizing to cling to against the ugly, barren reality of this season. 3 games left on the roller coaster 

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
I mean be real no one knows shit about Hall outside of the coaches that see him in practice. They are the only ones that know where he is at right now. He is a 5th round pick and won't see playing unless they are eliminated and even then maybe not depending on how some of the other variables play out. I guess there is some slim hope, optimistic view or entertainment value because he is not a known commodity to fans. He is something tantalizing to cling to against the ugly, barren reality of this season. 3 games left on the roller coaster 
I think that's the thing though because WE DO know what Dobbs and Mullens are, and that's backup quality fodder with a penchant for turning the ball over and limited skill sets. Dobbs flashed in limited action against Atlanta. Unless he's just a Kellen Mond level bust but I don't think that's the case. 

I know we are trying to back into the playoffs for another one and done, but to me the most important thing left to this incredibly frustrating season is to just see what we have in Hall. Nothing else really matters. 

@Vikergirl said:
I think that's the thing though because WE DO know what Dobbs and Mullens are, and that's backup quality fodder with a penchant for turning the ball over and limited skill sets. Dobbs flashed in limited action against Atlanta. Unless he's just a Kellen Mond level bust but I don't think that's the case. 

I know we are trying to back into the playoffs for another one and done, but to me the most important thing left to this incredibly frustrating season is to just see what we have in Hall. Nothing else really matters. 
Agree totally with Supa.  Moreover, no matter how mush you see in practice, you just don't know how the player will react in actual game action.  Some players wilt, others blossom.  We all no what the conclusion is to this season (just not the exact when), why not start the building for next season now?

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
I think the Vikings have their mind made up about Hall already. I agree he will see no playing time in any meaningful game unless there is an injury.
I understand how everyone is looking for some hope. It's just rare to ever find it in a back up QB.
The roller coaster is heading down hill. I don't expect the Vikings to win another game this season.
But I do feel they are on track to be a very good team next year if they can find a QB and upgrade positions of weakness that limit their options.

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Vikergirl said:

Agree totally with Supa.  Moreover, no matter how mush you see in practice, you just don't know how the player will react in actual game action.  Some players wilt, others blossom.  We all no what the conclusion is to this season (just not the exact when), why not start the building for next season now?
Can you imagine what that would say to the team? Players, coaches, staff, families...all working their asses off, scratching and clawing to make the playoffs? What does it say to players like JJ and Hunter? Players and coaches don't think long term like fans do. Fans are in it for life; players may not even be on the team next year. 

So as long as the Vikings are still alive, they will play the QB they think gives them the best chance to win. Maybe at some point Mullens melts down and that QB is Hall. But for now at least it's Nick Mullens.

Hey, I'd love to see Hall. But I'm just an idiot fan sitting on his ass watching a team I think will likely not get far in the playoffs. There are no consequences for me. I can guarantee you no one on the team thinks that way. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@VikingOracle said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Vikergirl said:

Can you imagine what that would say to the team? Players, coaches, staff, families...all working their asses off, scratching and clawing to make the playoffs? What does it say to players like JJ and Hunter? Players and coaches don't think long term like fans do. Fans are in it for life; players may not even be on the team next year. 

So as long as the Vikings are still alive, they will play the QB they think gives them the best chance to win. Maybe at some point Mullens melts down and that QB is Hall. But for now at least it's Nick Mullens.

Hey, I'd love to see Hall. But I'm just an idiot fan sitting on his ass watching a team I think will likely not get far in the playoffs. There are no consequences for me. I can guarantee you no one on the team thinks that way. 
I could see that, but like I said, unless he is just a total failure in practices, why would anybody (players included) consider him a worse option than Dobbs or Mullens? The small sample size in Atlanta looked good and that was minus Darrisaw and JJ. I think this is just a classic case of a lost coach going with the proverbial veteran and the "he gives us the best chance to win" tag line. It's the same tag line they gave us with Dobbs. I just don't see how we are at some sort of "disadvantage" throwing Hall in there over Dobbs/Mullens and it helps us to better evaluate the position heading into next season. What's almost guaranteed to happen though is Mullens will play until we are eliminated and they will throw Hall in for the last game of the year in some trash match-up with the Lions that's like some preseason game where we gain nothing in the way of real evaluation. I'd be shocked if this is not the case 

Just listening to Rich Gannon interviewing KOC on NFL Radio. I tell you what, KOC has the coach speak down to a tee. Asked about fullbacks and different short yardage situations. KOC stated they got first downs in similar short yardage plays earlier in the game. Thought Mullens did some "good things" but acknowledged the red zone turnovers being catastrophic. Wouldn't commit to who he was starting against the Lions. 

@MaroonBells said:
@VikingOracle said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Vikergirl said:

I could see that, but like I said, unless he is just a total failure in practices, why would anybody (players included) consider him a worse option than Dobbs or Mullens? The small sample size in Atlanta looked good and that was minus Darrisaw and JJ. I think this is just a classic case of a lost coach going with the proverbial veteran and the "he gives us the best chance to win" tag line. It's the same tag line they gave us with Dobbs. I just don't see how we are at some sort of "disadvantage" throwing Hall in there over Dobbs/Mullens and it helps us to better evaluate the position heading into next season. What's almost guaranteed to happen though is Mullens will play until we are eliminated and they will throw Hall in for the last game of the year in some trash match-up with the Lions that's like some preseason game where we gain nothing in the way of real evaluation. I'd be shocked if this is not the case 
Hall getting promoted to QB2 was a good sign. Maybe it's close between the two. I sure hope it is. And like I said before, if at some point KO thinks Hall gives us a better chance to win, Hall will be the QB. 

I'm just saying it's not going to happen because the team wants to "build for next year" before they're actually out of it THIS year. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@VikingOracle said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Vikergirl said:

Hall getting promoted to QB2 was a good sign. Maybe it's close between the two. I sure hope it is. And like I said before, if at some point KO thinks Hall gives us a better chance to win, Hall will be the QB. 

I'm just saying it's not going to happen because the team wants to "build for next year" before they're actually out of it THIS year. 
Well I think that's where the disagreement in the decision comes into play and the quickest way (in my opinion) to be eliminated THIS year is to keep tinkering with two career backups with a penchant for turning the ball over in critical situations. The "build for next year" is just the added bonus in starting Hall because like I said...we all already know what Mullens and Dobbs are. I think we'd all love to see Hall play in more than just a single, end of the year, meaningless trash game.