Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN: Vikings in play for Lamar Jackson
Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Already some woke sports social media rumblings that this might....'might' be because he's black. Riiiiight. 

[Image: giphy.gif]
uhm... pretty sure I read this morning that you are not supposed to use people of color in your memes or other as the is now "digital blackface" and as such wrong.  although I have never met you so I guess if you are of a non white skin tone then its likely acceptable,  but I am not really certain on that yet.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Already some woke sports social media rumblings that this might....'might' be because he's black. Riiiiight. 

[Image: giphy.gif]
uhm... pretty sure I read this morning that you are not supposed to use people of color in your memes or other as the is now "digital blackface" and as such wrong.  although I have never met you so I guess if you are of a non white skin tone then its likely acceptable,  but I am not really certain on that yet.
lol, I read the same thing. Some people have lost their f#cking minds. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"PurpleCrush" said:
I believe that's a parody/satire account. They basically just throw shit against the wall and see what sticks while also coming up with some really wild stuff.
Its is, its a bullshit parody account. 

The Jackson saga is really interesting. I'm not sure what's going on with the Ravens, but they've decided that they'll roll the dice here. 
as long as Jackson continues to over estimate his worth,  it works out well for the Ravens.  They can tag him,  knowing that nobody out there is likely to give the kind of money that Jackson is looking for,  so they get him back at fraction of what he wants to be paid,  and as he is a running QB,  and is likely to end up with an injury that threatens his ability at some point in the future,  they are then off the hook.  IMO its pretty smart on their part to proceed this way,  worse case scenario, somebody does work out a deal and they can either honor it or take the 2 firsts.
They are both playing a game of chicken IMO.  But I think Baltimore has the balls in this showdown.  
well,  since they can match any offer,  or take the two first rounders, IMO they are playing from the position of power.  They really have nothing to lose at this point IMO as Jackson is a weapon,  but his legs are by far his primary tool and that is a short lived tool typically so if he wants to mess around and play the franchise tag game for a couple years,  Baltimore wins.  getting Jackson for under 33 this year is a win for them.
Yup, the balls are all on their side.  Unless Jackson decides to sit.  But it really is the smart play.  

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"PurpleCrush" said:
I believe that's a parody/satire account. They basically just throw shit against the wall and see what sticks while also coming up with some really wild stuff.

The Jackson saga is really interesting. I'm not sure what's going on with the Ravens, but they've decided that they'll roll the dice here. 
as long as Jackson continues to over estimate his worth,  it works out well for the Ravens.  They can tag him,  knowing that nobody out there is likely to give the kind of money that Jackson is looking for,  so they get him back at fraction of what he wants to be paid,  and as he is a running QB,  and is likely to end up with an injury that threatens his ability at some point in the future,  they are then off the hook.  IMO its pretty smart on their part to proceed this way,  worse case scenario, somebody does work out a deal and they can either honor it or take the 2 firsts.
It's the Kirk Cousins situation all over again.  The team doesn't want to give their QB a big deal and will franchise tag him until it's cost prohibitive.  Then he'll be a FA and can dictate his next move.
...and like Washington, they'll spend the next 5 years starting 14 different QBs trying to find someone as good as Lamar Jackson. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"PurpleCrush" said:

It's the Kirk Cousins situation all over again.  The team doesn't want to give their QB a big deal and will franchise tag him until it's cost prohibitive.  Then he'll be a FA and can dictate his next move.
...and like Washington, they'll spend the next 5 years starting 14 different QBs trying to find someone as good as Lamar Jackson. 
im doubting Jackson is worth wanting in 5 years,  when his burst is done, so will be his game IMO, unless he can get a coach that can really get him to be a pass first, go through progressions,  use his legs to create a pass type of player.  In fairness I dont watch him much, but what I have seen is he wants that ball in his hands and isnt shy about taking off as soon as he sees an opening.

Yeah Baltimore has a strong advantage here.  They can tell him to go negotiate your own
trade.  The cost is 2 firsts.  In the background, there’s the problem that Jackson’s
price to the new teams has to include the 2 firsts, but for Baltimore it doesn’t,
so it’s much harder for the new team to come up with a contract that will meet
Jackson’s idea of what he’s worth.  I
think it almost guarantees that the other team will have trouble finding a
desire to pay him the maximum amount that Jackson is worth, and then adding 2 1sts
on top of that, unless there is a huge discrepancy between Baltimore and their valuations
of Jackson, but that doesn’t seem to be what’s happening.

That said, if I were other teams, I can imagine a scenario
where I would want to wait until after the draft before making an offer to
Jackson, as I would know how the draft played out and I imagine the 2 draft picks
would be 24 and 25 rather than 23 and 24, but I’m not sure about that.

I really like what Baltimore has done here.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
Yeah Baltimore has a strong advantage here.  They can tell him to go negotiate your own
trade.  The cost is 2 firsts.  In the background, there’s the problem that Jackson’s
price to the new teams has to include the 2 firsts, but for Baltimore it doesn’t,
so it’s much harder for the new team to come up with a contract that will meet
Jackson’s idea of what he’s worth.  I
think it almost guarantees that the other team will have trouble finding a
desire to pay him the maximum amount that Jackson is worth, and then adding 2 1sts
on top of that, unless there is a huge discrepancy between Baltimore and their valuations
of Jackson, but that doesn’t seem to be what’s happening.

That said, if I were other teams, I can imagine a scenario
where I would want to wait until after the draft before making an offer to
Jackson, as I would know how the draft played out and I imagine the 2 draft picks
would be 24 and 25 rather than 23 and 24, but I’m not sure about that.

I really like what Baltimore has done here.
how long does that tag stand?  isnt there a deadline on that and after that point it becomes his only option besides sitting out?

Some very vocal (and PO'd) Raven fans on the radio today wondering why Buffalo was so smart and locked up Allen a year or 2 ago at $43mm and Baltimore didnt do something similar with Lamar? 

Especially after their guy won that road playoff game vs Nashville?

I dont blame em for being bitter I guess. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Some very vocal (and PO'd) Raven fans on the radio today wondering why Buffalo was so smart and locked up Allen a year or 2 ago at $43mm and Baltimore didnt do something similar with Lamar? 

Especially after their guy won that road playoff game vs Nashville?

I dont blame em for being bitter I guess. 

Why, I think the answer is Allen hired an agent…

Jackson has been on a backwards trajectory since 2019. He's 6'2" 212lbs. and has rushed for over 4,400 yds. and thrown for over 3,000 yds exactly once in his career. He's finished a season once. In dog years (or RB years) he's about 36. Anybody willing to give up 2 firsts and pay top dollar for a guy with that track record, and the track record of guys like him who live and die with their ability, or lack thereof to run, are the ones probably contemplating another barbed wire tat...