Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harbaugh flying in, Ryans out!
I'll just say this, despite his quirks, he gives this team the best chance at winning immediately. O'Connell, Morris, and the other guy...it might take some time. Harbaugh may not be built for long term, but if he gives us a legit shot at winning the Super Bowl over the next 4 or 5 years...I think all of us long suffering fans would take that in a heartbeat. I honestly think that's the floor with Harbaugh. These other guys are complete unknowns. 

Personally, I’d prefer O’Connell. But I can see where Kwesi would be interested in Harbaugh. As a young, first time GM, Having someone like Harbaugh, who he already knows and trusts, and has had success as an NFL head coach, would be someone he could lean on and learn from as he learns the ins and outs of building a successful NFL roster. Also Kwesi would likely have insight as to what really went down behind the scenes between Harbaugh and the SF front office resulting in his departure, as well as whether Harbaugh’s personally traits that have some folks here concerned, is really that big of a deal. 

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
@Knucklehead said:
All this talk about his personality quirks, was any of this evident when he was a player or did they only become evident when he was named a HC?
Other than breaking his hand punching Jim Kelly?
Watching him as a player you could see he was ahole

I think Jim would be very entertaining which is after all why I tune it, fuck it, let’s roll…!!!  Wink B) :p  

Quote: @comet52 said:
@minny65 said:
  I think Harbaugh is an example of the Peter Principle as an NFL HC.  
The Peter Principle is defined as rising to your level of incompetence in an organization, i.e. you get promoted to a job you aren't qualified for, usually by simply being there for a long time.

So you're saying that a guy who took over the San Fran job as his first ever NFL head coach gig, then turned a team that was losing around and averaged 12 wins a year for 3 years, was incompetent at being a head coach?
Yea your right I wouldn't use the PP in this case because he was very successful for those 4 years, no doubt.  But his quirk/weird/hot-headed disposition wore thin after those 4 years of success and that has seemed to be the theme since.  I don't think his "act" will transfer back to the NFL.  I could be wrong of course and I hope someone signs him as a HC to see if that is true but please let it not be the Vikings.  

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@minny65 said:
@mblack said:
@minny65 said:
@NorthernCalVike said:
@HappyViking said:
@JR44 said:
@Vikergirl said:
He is interviewing on National Signing Day. 
That seems like big f u to Michigan and a pretty classless thing to do.  
Not sure Harbaugh has ever worried about being "classy".   Yeah, he's a bright football guy, but to me he comes across as a loud mouthed whiner when things don't go his way. 

I've never been a Harbough fan, and if he's our next coach... ah crap, I don't even want to think about it.
Im feeling the same way Happy - Im in the Bay Area, and got an upclose look at Jim while he coached the Stanford Cardinals and then the Niners. He is one weird Narcissist. And when I say Narcissist, he makes other Narcissist's look like compassionate people. His interviews on our local sports radio were some of the most bazaar chats I have ever heard from a HC of a pro sports team. Now, he was successful here, but at what cost? He does not like being told what to do, and he had a HUGE rift with the Niners GM Trent Baalke (who is a complete Douche in his own right) which was the downfall of the Niners and his NFL coaching career. I  would not trust him as our HC at all. talk about a guy who will alienate his players!! And you thought Zim was disfunctional at times with his players?? You aint seen nothing yet if JH comes here to run things.
I just came off of 3 years of not liking our HC to then go to Harbough would extend that exponentially.  I also think only college players would put up with his crap because they have to.  Pro players not so much.  

Whomever we hire as HC will be very telling on Kwesi's first big decision.  
History tells us NFL players were able to put up with him and he got them to the Super Bowl. I think this character thing is way over blown. There are many teams that are just trying to be relevant in the NFL. If you think a guy can help you get to the "promise land" there is no reason not to take a flyer on him cautiously. neither the Wilfs nor Kwesi are stupid.
regarding your dislike for Zim, it is interesting that the last three years you did not like him intersected with his worst three years as the Vikings coach. Everyone likes winning and a lot can be addressed/fixed/tolerated when you are winning. If there was anything that was close to a sure winning coach for the Vikings, Harbaugh is that.
Note: I also don't like his antics but I really don't care if he gets the team back to winning and especially competing for Championships not 8-8, 9-7 type records.
I soured on him the Saints miracle and then Eagles slaughter and then a piss poor following season.   

This is where his wheels started falling off IMO. It was hard to see in the Saints game over the madness of the "miracle," but that Philly game was an obvious example of poor game plan and poor coaching IMO. 

And now, when you look back at that Saints game, what you see is pretty much a preview of what we saw this year. Up 17-0 at the half, Vikings dominated most of the game. But still somehow found a way to fall behind with less than a minute left. 
I see those games a bit different.  We were dominating the saints game, they made adjustments at the half, but what really breathed life into them was a stupid INT by Case.  They got energized and took the momentum.

Seems like a similar Case in the Eagles game.  We went up 7-0, forced a 3 and out and looked to be on our way.  Then a stupid INT pick 6 swung the momentum and the Philly coaching staff took some shots on offense and burned us.  The DBs were playing well, very tight to shut down the RPO.  And Foles didn't throw it down the field, so this was a good game plan.  But once the momentum shifted, they took some shots that caught us by surprise.

But again, it was the INT that swung the game.

[Image: dg0MhkXS_bigger.jpg]
I just had a 1 1/2-minute phone conversation with Jim Harbaugh. He was friendly but wouldn’t confirm coming to Minnesota for #Vikings interview Wednesday. “I’m not confirming anything or denying anything.” He said “please don’t be offended” that he wouldn’t discuss his situation.

It's starting already.

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
I just had a 1 1/2-minute phone conversation with Jim Harbaugh. He was friendly but wouldn’t confirm coming to Minnesota for #Vikings interview Wednesday. “I’m not confirming anything or denying anything.” He said “please don’t be offended” that he wouldn’t discuss his situation.

It's starting already.

He’s been warned…   :p  

Quote: @Kentis said:
@JustinTime18™ said:

It's starting already.

He’s been warned…   :p  
As you know, I'm a big fan of removing all the warning labels...