Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins for Mayfield deal in the works?
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I think this trade gives us more options as far as cap flexibility so thats a plus but as far as the compensation goes its a bad deal. 

Their 3rd this year is a mid pack third,   people keep assuming we would see another first coming our way,  but if Kirk goes there and does well,( which is what it would take for that additional pick to become a first) we have to assume the Browns will be picking later in the draft next year,  let's say mid to late 20s,  factor in that the pick is a year later,  so we are essentially getting a mid third and a late 2nd and 6 mill in cap relief for him. 

Seems awfully light for a guy that supposedly is superbowl ready with only a better OL.  ( I don't necessarily agree, but its been said plenty) if Kirk would do an extension that lowers his number this year to about that 39 max that we would see from this deal,  keep his cap number under 15% of the cap in any future year,  and agree to a future trade,  then I say extend him. 

He has to be smarter though than rogers and know the team is going to be aggressive in finding his replacement and no way should the team lock themselves in with KC with no outs,  or enter into a new deal that financially prevents them from making the moves to build back the defense and improve his protection.
We also get Mayfield, a QB who was the 1st overall pick just three years ago. 

So Vikings get...
1. $6M net
2. 1st (likely) and a 3rd
3. Baker Mayfield

Browns get...
1. Kirk Cousins

Seems decent for a guy that supposedly is the source of all our problems (I don't necessarily agree, but it's been said plenty).  :-)

For the record, I'm against this trade. Extend Cousins, add a couple of corners and let's see if we can't win what should be a much weaker division.

Yea, Iean towards No on the #'s you provide and that it why I said I would want more.....5 million more in salary assumption and the 3rd rounder moved to a 2nd.  Then I would be all in because I think we are more than a QB away and would like to take a chance on the younger Baker and a high draft pick instead of whom we have in Cousins.  IMO - Cousins is a top QB in stats but he does not win and certainly doesn't have the "It" factor in any way shape or form.  What is the opposite of the "It" factor??  Maybe someone you run out of the foxhole fromSmile I don't know but I am ready to move the team on from Cousins and his status quo steady numbers with right deal and a young QB.  

when Rodgers goes to Tampa, the NFC north is ripe for the Vikings .   

@JimmyinSD said:
I think this trade gives us more options as far as cap flexibility so thats a plus but as far as the compensation goes its a bad deal. 

Their 3rd this year is a mid pack third,   people keep assuming we would see another first coming our way,  but if Kirk goes there and does well,( which is what it would take for that additional pick to become a first) we have to assume the Browns will be picking later in the draft next year,  let's say mid to late 20s,  factor in that the pick is a year later,  so we are essentially getting a mid third and a late 2nd and 6 mill in cap relief for him. 

Seems awfully light for a guy that supposedly is superbowl ready with only a better OL.  ( I don't necessarily agree, but its been said plenty) if Kirk would do an extension that lowers his number this year to about that 39 max that we would see from this deal,  keep his cap number under 15% of the cap in any future year,  and agree to a future trade,  then I say extend him. 

He has to be smarter though than rogers and know the team is going to be aggressive in finding his replacement and no way should the team lock themselves in with KC with no outs,  or enter into a new deal that financially prevents them from making the moves to build back the defense and improve his protection.

So Vikings get...
1. $6M net
3. Baker Mayfield

Browns get...
1. Kirk Cousins

Seems decent for a guy that supposedly is the source of all our problems (I don't necessarily agree, but it's been said plenty).  :-)

For the record, I'm against this trade. Extend Cousins, add a couple of corners and let's see if we can't win what should be a much weaker division.

But winning this division without rogers could be done with the roster we had this year,  which was still not a roster that is going to make any noise in the playoffs against the teams that are truly superbowl contenders.

Teams like Tampa and Cincinnati making the leap involved adding a HOF  and a #1 over all to their rosters at the most important position.  

If considering Baker as trade compensation then he should be viewed as a potential long term solution,  and if he does play well he will be wanting as much or more money as what Kirk will be getting most likely.   I would say at best any cap savings would be a 1 year deal.  I would be more interested in seeing what some of the other teams that view their situation as just a QB away would offer.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/p...yfBa00.htm

No thanks for multiple reasons, but lets start here.

Quote: @PapaScott said:
When I see Rodgers leave GB, then I'll believe it.

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/p...yfBa00.htm

No thanks for multiple reasons, but lets start here.
No doubt, Baker has been inconsistent at best and at times horrible. In their game against us, for example, he was the only reason we were even in that game. 

And considering his injuries, I'm sure they would love to get their hands on the most durable QB in the NFL. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@PapaScott said:
When I see Rodgers leave GB, then I'll believe it.
I still think the deal was done last summer. Rodgers agrees to play one more season in Green Bay on the condition that they trade him after the season. Between Denver, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, and now Tampa, Rodgers should have a nice market (Cousins too). Typically, the options are among bottom feeders, but those are all established, well-run orgs. 

Table sure looks set for Rogers out Denver way... 

Its so easy to see it probably wont happen that way. 

@JimmyinSD said:

So Vikings get...
1. $6M net
3. Baker Mayfield

Browns get...
1. Kirk Cousins

I guess I look at it this way. Do I think this deal happens? Probably not. 

But from the Vikings perspective I don't see the downside in taking back Mayfield. Who else are you going to start at QB? You can sign a Mariota/Dalton/etc level starter or draft a rookie, but in my opinion Mayfield is a level above those guys. 

So you're getting picks, which any team would trade for Kirk if they decide to go down that route, plus you're getting a stop-gap starter at a minimum. Who isn't to say that Mayfield turns a new leaf in MN? 

You don't trade Kirk at all unless you're committed to the fact he isn't the solution. Taking Mayfield back has upside with no long-term commitment. It all would come down to the picks but say they just give a 1st & Mayfield. Well the Broncos, Panthers, etc.. aren't going to beat that considerably. 

I'm confused. Win-Loss record is or is not the only stat that matters? He's 29-30 and outside of a wonky Covid season a 6 win QB as a starter. 6-7, 6-10, 11-5, 6-8. In four seasons a number 1 overall pick is 8-22 against winning teams. Beyond that you have no idea physically what he'll be in 2022.