Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheldon Richardson Considering Coming Back?

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
https://twitter.com/Krauserrific/status/...97226?s=20
0f course a few years ago they were using a bunch of looks with Barr at RDE in camp and did we ever see that in a game?  I like the idea of scheme flexibility,  but how much will that really help against quality opponents? most good teams have strong QBs and strong coaching staffs that will see the switch and have a plan ready to attack the adjustment.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
0f course a few years ago they were using a bunch of looks with Barr at RDE in camp and did we ever see that in a game?  I like the idea of scheme flexibility,  but how much will that really help against quality opponents? most good teams have strong QBs and strong coaching staffs that will see the switch and have a plan ready to attack the adjustment.
I doubt they'll be switching to a 3-4 full time. I suspect this will be used more here and there with disguises that are designed to confuse offenses on individual plays. It will be most effective if they can switch from 43 to 34 with the exact same personnel.

But yeah, you're right, this isn't the first time they've experimented with things that never really show up in games. We'll have to wait to see if and how they use it. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
I disagree.  Having scheme flexibility on D makes the offense work so much harder.  Think of the patriots not even trying to run when they played the williams wall (no relation).  They had our scheme figured out and made it simple for them to avoid our strength.  

Think of how much film teams watch to figure out the opponent.  If they can't find the tendencies because our D has real different looks, then advantage Vikings.  When Zim designed the Double A Gap, it wrecked the league that year.  Think of how the Eagles won the superbowl a few years back.  They redid their offense in the bye week of the playoffs.  Their opponents (us and the patriots) were caught off guard because of things they hadn't seen on film.

So it will eventually get to film and offense will adjust, but if it gives the D an advantage for the first 10 games of the year instead of just 8, or it makes the offense spend time being ready for multiple fronts, that is less time they have to spend being really good at one.