Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strib: Clock is ticking on Cousins
Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

@JR44 said:
@VikeMike52 said:
@Vikergirl said:
It is ticking though. He is not a long-term plan. He has more OL help now. It's time for results. Here's hoping things work out.
What if he goes deep into the playoffs, is he long term then? Kirk has not been the problem.
When you QB consistently melts in every game against a team with a winning record, then yes, he is a big part of the problem.  The rumor is that the Wilfs were the ones who put the orders in for a QB early in the draft and I would imagine they are getting tired of writing out big checks that are not resulting in wins.  
Where is this rumor coming from? I've heard nothing of the sort. Link? Tweet? Podcast? 

At some point, fans need to understand that...ahem...FOOTBALL IS A TEAM GAME AND QB WINS IS NOT A STAT...

I saw that online on Instagram, with the rumor being passed along by Darren Wolfson apparently...although I don't know how reliable it is.vikesinsiderThe Vikings ownership "drove the bus" in terms of taking a QB relatively high. There was a "strong recommendation from the Wilf family to really look strongly at a quarterback really really high." 

Per: Darren Wolfson.
That is true. I don't think it necessarily means Kirk is being kicked out the door, but they aren't going to keep stringing along for 2-3 years deals/extensions. I personally think Kirk only will remain in MN if he signs a legitimate extension that gives the Vikings back a little leverage. If you ask those in the league what Cousins is going to command in 2023 its likely between $40-45M/yr fully guaranteed. I'm not convinced the Vikings are doing that. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

@JR44 said:
@VikeMike52 said:
@Vikergirl said:
It is ticking though. He is not a long-term plan. He has more OL help now. It's time for results. Here's hoping things work out.
What if he goes deep into the playoffs, is he long term then? Kirk has not been the problem.
When you QB consistently melts in every game against a team with a winning record, then yes, he is a big part of the problem.  The rumor is that the Wilfs were the ones who put the orders in for a QB early in the draft and I would imagine they are getting tired of writing out big checks that are not resulting in wins.  
Where is this rumor coming from? I've heard nothing of the sort. Link? Tweet? Podcast? 

At some point, fans need to understand that...ahem...FOOTBALL IS A TEAM GAME AND QB WINS IS NOT A STAT...

I saw that online on Instagram, with the rumor being passed along by Darren Wolfson apparently...although I don't know how reliable it is.vikesinsiderThe Vikings ownership "drove the bus" in terms of taking a QB relatively high. There was a "strong recommendation from the Wilf family to really look strongly at a quarterback really really high." 

That is true. I don't think it necessarily means Kirk is being kicked out the door, but they aren't going to keep stringing along for 2-3 years deals/extensions. I personally think Kirk only will remain in MN if he signs a legitimate extension that gives the Vikings back a little leverage. If you ask those in the league what Cousins is going to command in 2023 its likely between $40-45M/yr fully guaranteed. I'm not convinced the Vikings are doing that. 
That makes sense.  I kind of think that they need to get some leverage back and it makes business sense also.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

@JR44 said:
@VikeMike52 said:
@Vikergirl said:

That would be prudent. But it seems to me, quite the break from SOP of the Wilfs. They're extremely hands off as opposed to what's going on in say Philly, DC, or Dallas. Or at least appear to be.

Also, which Wilf? Mark? Zygi? Both?

Quote: @VikeMike52 said:
@JR44 said:
@JR44 I guess you had your eyes closed for these passion less moments.
I am guessing you had your eyes closed through the first 6 games of the season last year, every game against a good team and pretty much for most of the times they have shown Kirk sitting on the sidelines by himself, not looking at film or talking to teammates.  I do not think that Everson Griffen's comments last year were completely random or that he is the only player who thinks that way.  I think Kirk is a nice guy, but I do not think he dedicated to football and winning as many of the top QBs in the league.  

https://www.twincities.com/2020/10/18/bo...f-the-way/

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2856...ot-winning

Stephen A. Smith revealed during Wednesday's episode of First Take on ESPN that there were some in Washington who believed Cousins was more interested in accumulating impressive stats than he was winning games.
"When he was in Washington, you had players that literally said, 'He ain't about winning, he's about numbers.' And they didn't say that as an indictment against him as a bad person, because he's considered a relatively nice guy. We've met him, we did the show. Very, very nice guy. They was just talking about the fact that when you separate guys of his talent, that intangible that you're looking for, the great ones have it, he doesn't. He's a safety guy. He's a guy that wants to do the safe thing because he'd rather not mess up than take chances and really, really excel."
Pretty impressive group of sources you got there. Everson Griffen, Bob Sansevere and Bleacher Report. Very impressive, it must be all true.
Lol!  Yeah what would a former teammate, local media and a national guy know, I am sure everyone here is much more tied into the team.  A quote from Jefferson, who must a non-legit source as well.  

"Kirk and Joe throw similar balls. They're not the strongest-armed, but they're going to get it to you exactly where you need them to throw it. But the thing about Joe that's a little bit different...I feel like Joe has a little more swagger. He has that confidence on the field, and he's not scared to get hit. I feel like as a quarterback, that's a big trait to have. Especially to be as young as he is. He's a phenomenal quarterback."
While it seemed as though Jefferson was praising Burrow in that moment more than he was shading Cousins, he then told Cowherd he wasn't particularly surprised when rumors suggested the team was interested in potentially drafting Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields. 
"We have to build on for after Kirk, or whatever the case may be," he said. "Having Justin Fields brings a little more pressure to other teams by having a dominant quarterback like he is."

Quote: @JR44 said:
@VikeMike52 said:
@JR44 said:
I am guessing you had your eyes closed through the first 6 games of the season last year, every game against a good team and pretty much for most of the times they have shown Kirk sitting on the sidelines by himself, not looking at film or talking to teammates.  I do not think that Everson Griffen's comments last year were completely random or that he is the only player who thinks that way.  I think Kirk is a nice guy, but I do not think he dedicated to football and winning as many of the top QBs in the league.  

Stephen A. Smith revealed during Wednesday's episode of First Take on ESPN that there were some in Washington who believed Cousins was more interested in accumulating impressive stats than he was winning games.
"When he was in Washington, you had players that literally said, 'He ain't about winning, he's about numbers.' And they didn't say that as an indictment against him as a bad person, because he's considered a relatively nice guy. We've met him, we did the show. Very, very nice guy. They was just talking about the fact that when you separate guys of his talent, that intangible that you're looking for, the great ones have it, he doesn't. He's a safety guy. He's a guy that wants to do the safe thing because he'd rather not mess up than take chances and really, really excel."
Pretty impressive group of sources you got there. Everson Griffen, Bob Sansevere and Bleacher Report. Very impressive, it must be all true.
Lol!  Yeah what would a former teammate, local media and a national guy know, I am sure everyone here is much more tied into the team.  A quote from Jefferson, who must a non-legit source as well.  

"Kirk and Joe throw similar balls. They're not the strongest-armed, but they're going to get it to you exactly where you need them to throw it. But the thing about Joe that's a little bit different...I feel like Joe has a little more swagger. He has that confidence on the field, and he's not scared to get hit. I feel like as a quarterback, that's a big trait to have. Especially to be as young as he is. He's a phenomenal quarterback."
While it seemed as though Jefferson was praising Burrow in that moment more than he was shading Cousins, he then told Cowherd he wasn't particularly surprised when rumors suggested the team was interested in potentially drafting Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields. 
"We have to build on for after Kirk, or whatever the case may be," he said. "Having Justin Fields brings a little more pressure to other teams by having a dominant quarterback like he is."
I just tried posting these same comments from Justin in another thread. It’s not the end of the world but it ain’t exactly effusive praise either. 

I get that Kirk has his strong supporters and I’m glad he does. Ultimately, all Vikings fans want the same thing. 

But this board is kind of funny lately. Two weeks before the draft many posters were saying the Vikings wouldn’t draft a QB (waste of a pick, no way, etc). Then after the draft it was “Yeah! Smart to get a middle round guy as backup.” Then after it came out that we had strong interest in Fields in the first it was, “well, we didn’t do it so...”
Then after it was posted the Wilfs might have been driving that move it was, “no way”.

Well... all of that has happened. And Guru just confirmed the Wilfs wanted a QB.

I’m encouraged that the team seems to no longer be all-in on Kirk beyond 2021. 

Quote: @JR44 said:
@VikeMike52 said:
@JR44 said:

Find Rick’s remarks on the matter. Paraphrasing he said, there is no competition involving Kirk, he’s QB 1. The competition is behind him between Browning, Stanley and Mond. They’ll see what happens and if someday one of them develops into Russell Wilson they’ll cross that bridge then.

[Image: 8kwmk1m5gqhj.gif]

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@JR44 said:
@VikeMike52 said:
@JR44 said:

I just tried posting these same comments from Justin in another thread. It’s not the end of the world but it ain’t exactly effusive praise either. 

I get that Kirk has his strong supporters and I’m glad he does. Ultimately, all Vikings fans want the same thing. 

But this board is kind of funny lately. Two weeks before the draft many posters were saying the Vikings wouldn’t draft a QB (waste of a pick, no way, etc). Then after the draft it was “Yeah! Smart to get a middle round guy as backup.” Then after it came out that we had strong interest in Fields in the first it was, “well, we didn’t do it so...”
Then after it was posted the Wilfs might have been driving that move it was, “no way”.

Well... all of that has happened. And Guru just confirmed the Wilfs wanted a QB.

I’m encouraged that the team seems to no longer be all-in on Kirk beyond 2021. 
I think the Wilfs mostly wanted a QB for two reasons: there was NOTHING behind Cousins before they drafted Mond. Ridiculously thin. And everyone, including the staff, knows that the NFL is trending toward a different type of QB. Accuracy will always be at a premium, but athleticism and versatility so that an offense can be more unpredictable is the trend. And Cousins isn't going anywhere for 2 more years, draft a guy and let him learn and see what can happen.

Quote: @VikeMike52 said:
@JR44 said:
@VikeMike52 said:
@JR44 said:

Find Rick’s remarks on the matter. Paraphrasing he said, there is no competition involving Kirk, he’s QB 1. The competition is behind him between Browning, Stanley and Mond. They’ll see what happens and if someday one of them develops into Russell Wilson they’ll cross that bridge then.
Correct, Mond isn't taking Kirk's job this year.  He needs time to develop before we know whether he's a long-time NFL backup or a potential starter.  That said, the Vikings were absolutely looking for a rookie QB to be a potential starter as early as 2022.  The Vikings did a ton of homework on the top 6-8 QBs in this draft...  Spielman certainly said Kirk is our starting QB this season.  He didn't make any claims that will be the case beyond this season.

[Image: 0k0etlmbqyca.png]