Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RUMOR: Harris to be traded for offensive lineman?
remember when some said not to go all in on Cousins, because that would to severely limit the teams ability to maintain the rest of the roster.... remember when some said build a better OL and you will get better QB play from a lesser QB?  Well I think we are seeing the results of over paying a QB that cant carry an offense.  It doesnt matter what the market says a QB should be paid,  if you dont have the talent around them the results wont be pretty.  Kirk will have a decent stat year,  but the team as whole will look like shit and the excuses will be that once again we need to put a better team around him,  but once again it will be a matter of what we can afford.   I think in a year or two we will be ok for cap space and Cousins deal will look ok,  but by  then he will be wanting a new deal so we will be right back to square one,  pay the QB his market value deal,  or build a roster that can contend.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
remember when some said not to go all in on Cousins, because that would to severely limit the teams ability to maintain the rest of the roster.... remember when some said build a better OL and you will get better QB play from a lesser QB?  Well I think we are seeing the results of over paying a QB that cant carry an offense.  It doesnt matter what the market says a QB should be paid,  if you dont have the talent around them the results wont be pretty.  Kirk will have a decent stat year,  but the team as whole will look like shit and the excuses will be that once again we need to put a better team around him,  but once again it will be a matter of what we can afford.   I think in a year or two we will be ok for cap space and Cousins deal will look ok,  but by  then he will be wanting a new deal so we will be right back to square one,  pay the QB his market value deal,  or build a roster that can contend.
By then Kirk will be 34. With a team that, if the Drafting goes as planned the next few years, will be hitting it's prime. I don't see 34 year old Cousins somehow being better than the current Cousins, so the plan has to be to find his successor in the next year or two, right?

I just can't for the life of me figure out why you extend Cousins just to be the babysitter until the rebuild is over. Feels like the FO, Coaches and Ownership are only half-commited to the full rebuild. If they were fully committed they would have signed a much cheaper QB ala Fitzgerald so they could continue to find younger FAs with upside ala Pierce.

I'm starting to see the wisdom of your take on moving some Draft Capital to next year, Jimmy. It revolves around loading up to move up to get the QB of the future, which this team absolutely will need.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
By then Kirk will be 34. With a team that, if the Drafting goes as planned the next few years, will be hitting it's prime. I don't see 34 year old Cousins somehow being better than the current Cousins, so the plan has to be to find his successor in the next year or two, right?

I just can't for the life of me figure out why you extend Cousins just to be the babysitter until the rebuild is over. Feels like the FO, Coaches and Ownership are only half-commited to the full rebuild. If they were fully committed they would have signed a much cheaper QB ala Fitzgerald so they could continue to find younger FAs with upside ala Pierce.

I'm starting to see the wisdom of your take on moving some Draft Capital to next year, Jimmy. It revolves around loading up to move up to get the QB of the future, which this team absolutely will need.
I'm glad you're coming around on the merits of this plan, FSU.
The semi-rebuild plan the Vikings are currently doing is half-baked, and a big Dalvin contract makes even less sense, when compared to the rest of the roster. Dalvin is a great player, but I hope the Vikings do not do that deal.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@FSUVike said:
@JimmyinSD said:

I'm glad you're coming around on the merits of this plan, FSU.
The semi-rebuild plan the Vikings are currently doing is half-baked, and a big Dalvin contract makes even less sense, when compared to the rest of the roster. Dalvin is a great player, but I hope the Vikings do not do that deal.
Well, I think you probably will be disappointed.  I expect we will hear real soon about a ridiculous contract extension for Cook.

They freed up money by restructuring Hunter for some reason.

It cant be for signing the bottom of the barrel guys like Sharpe and Zettel.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@JimmyinSD said:

as much shit as you've given me on this thought process I dont know if you are being serious or not,  but one thing that will make this whole process more irritable for me as a fan is if they do it half assed and just prolong the agony.  I would rather do a complete rebuild from the lines out, than to dick around trying to piece a "competitive" team together that is just barely good enough to eek in every year,  but one the fans know isnt going to win that damn trophy.

I still think we could use a few of those day 1 and 2 picks to fix OL and DL this year,   but move enough pieces into next years draft to take a top notch QB and maybe another LB,  and then year 3 hit the WR and DB market hard,  of course we will be using FA to fill holes and maybe we still stumble onto some later round pieces the speed up the process,  but I dont see the polished end product with the approach that we are currently seeing from Rick.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@FSUVike said:
@JimmyinSD said:

as much shit as you've given me on this thought process I dont know if you are being serious or not,  but one thing that will make this whole process more irritable for me as a fan is if they do it half assed and just prolong the agony.  I would rather do a complete rebuild from the lines out, than to dick around trying to piece a "competitive" team together that is just barely good enough to eek in every year,  but one the fans know isnt going to win that damn trophy.

I still think we could use a few of those day 1 and 2 picks to fix OL and DL this year,   but move enough pieces into next years draft to take a top notch QB and maybe another LB,  and then year 3 hit the WR and DB market hard,  of course we will be using FA to fill holes and maybe we still stumble onto some later round pieces the speed up the process,  but I dont see the polished end product with the approach that we are currently seeing from Rick.
In fairness to me, I expected the team to keep 1 of Griff/Weatherly, 1 of Waynes/Mac, 1 of Sendejo/Kearse and not cut a perfectly serviceable Guard from what is still the weakest Unit on the Team.

If Kirk was 28 I get it. He'll be 32 this summer, so he'll actually be 35 when the rebuild comes of age. His window will be closing when the team's is just beginning. 

In light of all of that it makes sense to start looking at his replacement now, not at the end of the 2022 season. Personally, as an Analytics guy, I'd take one this year in the 3rd to be competition from whomever they move up to get next year and at the worst be a low cost backup QB that maybe can get moved for some assets down the road. 

Again, I honestly did not see this coming. I thought a retooling of the CBs and DTs plus a LG that could slide to LT in 2021 was doable, though not leaving much margin for error. Apparently I was more optimistic than the Team. Which is why keeping Kirk and potentially signing Cook long-term makes no sense to me whatsoever. It smacks of indecisiveness in the Organization, which is a bad sign. 

Stupid theory: trade with NE is already in place, but due to players being unable to take physicals at team facilities, it hasn't been announced yet.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Stupid theory: trade with NE is already in place, but due to players being unable to take physicals at team facilities, it hasn't been announced yet.
it will be interesting if they change some dates on things like signing tenders and such to allow some time for things like this to take place after the shut down is over.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Nope. I wouldn't even consider them the favorite. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Nope. I wouldn't even consider them the favorite. 
care to share?