Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Coronavirus
I will admit. I'm getting pretty numb to it now. Don't want daily updates. Don't want to know. I'll keep my hands clean and hope for the best. 
Ps: I hope I can keep my @ss wiped as well.
Jeez....

I dont want this to be taken as political,  and there arent many bigger health scare sceptics than me,  but as blussterous as our president can be on things and as much as he likes to down play the media....look at his response to what's happening.  He is canceling appearances and such.  He is taking this thing serious and to me that speaks volumes as to how we should be approaching the subject.  He has the facts and is acknowledging that this threat is for real.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
I dont want this to be taken as political,  and there arent many bigger health scare sceptics than me,  but as blussterous as our president can be on things and as much as he likes to down play the media....look at his response to what's happening.  He is canceling appearances and such.  He is taking this thing serious and to me that speaks volumes as to how we should be approaching the subject.  He has the facts and is acknowledging that this threat is for real.
I am to. I'm trying hard to balance the fact people are dead because of this with the actual numbers and the effect it will have on a fragile world economy. I question the response or over response and panic. My sceptical side asks if this is a real  mankind threat or a global test run of more deadly outbreaks and our preparedness to contain.
I guess I've forgotten how to trust.

I'm no alarmist, but this is the real deal. I wouldn't suggest getting on a plane to anyone right now. To mitigate the spread, which will get worse each day, this 'social distancing' needs to be taken fairly seriously. Again, although the risk remains low, this flu has a mortality rate 10x the regular flu: that's no joke to those with compromised immune systems, lung or heart issues, elderly, etc. 

This from a person who is as level headed as I know:
"I heard an expert say on the news last night that if the US does not get its act together fast and radically improve access to testing, we're just two weeks away from being Italy.  The argument is that the US has no idea how many people might be sick because so few people are being tested.
This could've been hyperbole.  But somehow, it didn't seem like it.  And I am finding increasingly difficult to be panglossian about any of this."

I know Sticky.
It's not a joke and I'm not cold hearted to those who have died. It's just I'm tired of being scared into believing things. It seems be it weather or climate or viruses the more scares you get the more you start to feel lied to.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
I'm no alarmist, but this is the real deal. I wouldn't suggest getting on a plane to anyone right now. To mitigate the spread, which will get worse each day, this 'social distancing' needs to be taken fairly seriously. Again, although the risk remains low, this flu has a mortality rate 10x the regular flu: that's no joke to those with compromised immune systems, lung or heart issues, elderly, etc. 
My skepticism is based on previous viral or bacterial outbreaks.  Like Sticky says, the regular run-of-the-mill flu is far more deadly and kills tens of thousands in the US each and every year but no events, flights or conventions get cancelled. The US had over 1500 deaths in 2009-10 from Swine flu.  I get a flu shot every year and take normal, reasonable precautions every winter.

But if the CDC says you got a 98% chance of survival once infected and the highest mortality rates are in 70+ age group, folks I won't be stocking up on a years supply of toilet paper just yet.  Common sense is truly an uncommon thing these days.

We're going to have 1 chance to get this right in the states folks. The arc has to be controlled right now, or its going to be Italy here.

Hospitals will be overwhelmed, people won't get treated for heart attacks, cancer etc. There is not enough infrastructure if that arc aint controlled. 

I dont trust we have nearly enough testing yet, let alone treatment. We may have to build temporary hospital facilities like we saw in China. 

Life has to change drastically for all of us for who knows how long?

No big events, NHL will follow NBA soon or they're fools and putting our people at risk. Baseball? There will be no baseball for sometime. Movie theaters, plays, music venues - all have to shut down.