Kubiak new OC
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"FSUVike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
lots of faith for a guy that was in the previous OCs ear during the game in a mentoring role.  If Kubiak is as wise as some hope he will be.... why didnt he make the same suggestions to stefanski that some of you think he will make as the play caller?   no offense but all we heard when he got here was he was the defacto OC and Stefanski would be getting his cues from Kubiak,  Kubiaks offense, Kubiaks game plan.  etc etc   well then when it failed it was Stefanskis follie and somehow now Kubiak is going to make it all better?   I am not buying it.   there is only one thing that will make this offense better and that is to improve the OL play.
Not being flippant here, but have you coached before?  If so, have you called offense or defense?  I haven't either, but I have been there helping them and watched them closely.  I thought it would be fun to call defense, but at one point was sort of the co-defensive coordinator and was involved in the game planning.  The other guy called the plays and I developed a healthy respect for the ability to do that in real time.  I think offense is worse, you have to have a feel for the game, creativity, but with the ability to stick to your plan.
I say all that to say, who says Kubiak didn't suggest things?  But Stef was the play caller, doing it by committee wouldn't work, one guy has to own it and sink or swim.  I imagine Kubiak had to give him some space to do it his way and make the calls.
And you ask why we think Kubiak will be better?  Because has done it and done it well.  Guy has established that he can do it and with lots of different personnel. That is something not many coaches can say.

yes i have coached,  several different sports.

if you want to have faith in him.. thats your perogative,  but like I said,  this was called Kubiaks O since he got here and that Stef was basically a tool of kubiaks but when it doesnt work then Stef didnt know what he was doing.   I will have to see it to believe it,  but like I said,  if they dont fix the OL it wont matter who is calling plays or under center,  this team will not compete with the better teams in the league.
Agree about the OL; disagree about their functions. I don't think any of us can say with any kind of certainty what their working relationship was like, but I feel pretty confident that while Kubiak was probably involved in game prep, Stefanski was the one calling the plays. To do it any other way would be dysfunctional. 

Sure, it's possible that Kubiak is the one to blame for our offensive ineptitude against Green Bay and San Francisco. It's also possible that he was frustrated by what Stefanski was doing with his offense and accepted the OC role because he thought he could do something about it. 

The only thing I know for sure is that Stefanski was a 1st year play caller in an offense he didn't design. And that Kubiak, as a play caller of his own offense, has won a Super Bowl. 
my primary point is this....  if the offensive failures were play calling as some suggest and the solutions were as simple as some suggest.... why wouldnt the great and powerful man behind the curtain whisper in his proteges ear these very basic solutions during the games to help get his offense on track and help the team?   I dont think simply improving play calling is going to do much.  the failures of the offense were once again simply the lack of quality oline play.  i dont think there was any magic card full of plays that would have allowed our slow weak interior left to suddenly function at a higher level or cover up their ineptness.
Because Stefanski was S.T.U.B.B.O.R.N.

Gary was brought in to Mentor. Not boss. Kirk himself said it was Kevin's decision to go Hurry-up at halftime against the Broncos. And he almost didn't do it. Had to talk himself into it.

If Kubiak had made the call why didn't he do it again in the Green Bay or Seattle games? Why wait until the 4th Quarter when you weren't afraid to pull the trigger at halftime?

It's obvious: because Gary wasn't calling the shots. Kevin was. And he was so enamored with what he had morphed Gary's system into he couldn't bring himself to adjust but the one time when it wasn't working. 

That's the arrogance of youth, plain and simple. Stefanski had the 2 minute drive before halftime of the Dallas game and the entire 2nd half of the Broncos along with a few other instances that proved he could switch schemes and get results. But he refused to do it until it was late in games against the Packers, Bears, Hags, Packers and 9ers.

Not learning from mistakes is also a hallmark of youth. And like DeFloppo, Kevin was a youngster as a Playcaller.

Where do you get the stuff about the denver game?  The part about Stefanski being the one not to go hurry up.  That has been a long standing complaint about offenses under Zimmer is the lack of use of tempo to get the O clicking.  I dont give a shit about Stefanski,  but I would bet that the lack of tempo is more of a Zimmer directive then Stefanski not wanting to do it  What O guy doesnt want to go faster?
I don't make shit up. Ever. Cousins was asked in an interview after the game about going up tempo and he flat out said Kevin didn't make up his mind to do it until right before they left the locker room. Not Zimmer. Stefanski. 

Now, if I'm Rick I don't like my QB talking about decisions made behind closed doors. Let the media ask the coaches about that kind of stuff and they can respond how they want. Let the players talk about plays.

But Cousins was willing to dish and answered the question directly. Stefanski made the call. Not Zimmer.  Who if it was his decision probably would never OK it over halfway through the 4th Quarter.

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"FSUVike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
lots of faith for a guy that was in the previous OCs ear during the game in a mentoring role.  If Kubiak is as wise as some hope he will be.... why didnt he make the same suggestions to stefanski that some of you think he will make as the play caller?   no offense but all we heard when he got here was he was the defacto OC and Stefanski would be getting his cues from Kubiak,  Kubiaks offense, Kubiaks game plan.  etc etc   well then when it failed it was Stefanskis follie and somehow now Kubiak is going to make it all better?   I am not buying it.   there is only one thing that will make this offense better and that is to improve the OL play.
Not being flippant here, but have you coached before?  If so, have you called offense or defense?  I haven't either, but I have been there helping them and watched them closely.  I thought it would be fun to call defense, but at one point was sort of the co-defensive coordinator and was involved in the game planning.  The other guy called the plays and I developed a healthy respect for the ability to do that in real time.  I think offense is worse, you have to have a feel for the game, creativity, but with the ability to stick to your plan.
I say all that to say, who says Kubiak didn't suggest things?  But Stef was the play caller, doing it by committee wouldn't work, one guy has to own it and sink or swim.  I imagine Kubiak had to give him some space to do it his way and make the calls.
And you ask why we think Kubiak will be better?  Because has done it and done it well.  Guy has established that he can do it and with lots of different personnel. That is something not many coaches can say.

yes i have coached,  several different sports.

if you want to have faith in him.. thats your perogative,  but like I said,  this was called Kubiaks O since he got here and that Stef was basically a tool of kubiaks but when it doesnt work then Stef didnt know what he was doing.   I will have to see it to believe it,  but like I said,  if they dont fix the OL it wont matter who is calling plays or under center,  this team will not compete with the better teams in the league.
Agree about the OL; disagree about their functions. I don't think any of us can say with any kind of certainty what their working relationship was like, but I feel pretty confident that while Kubiak was probably involved in game prep, Stefanski was the one calling the plays. To do it any other way would be dysfunctional. 

Sure, it's possible that Kubiak is the one to blame for our offensive ineptitude against Green Bay and San Francisco. It's also possible that he was frustrated by what Stefanski was doing with his offense and accepted the OC role because he thought he could do something about it. 

The only thing I know for sure is that Stefanski was a 1st year play caller in an offense he didn't design. And that Kubiak, as a play caller of his own offense, has won a Super Bowl. 
my primary point is this....  if the offensive failures were play calling as some suggest and the solutions were as simple as some suggest.... why wouldnt the great and powerful man behind the curtain whisper in his proteges ear these very basic solutions during the games to help get his offense on track and help the team?   I dont think simply improving play calling is going to do much.  the failures of the offense were once again simply the lack of quality oline play.  i dont think there was any magic card full of plays that would have allowed our slow weak interior left to suddenly function at a higher level or cover up their ineptness.
Because Stefanski was S.T.U.B.B.O.R.N.

Gary was brought in to Mentor. Not boss. Kirk himself said it was Kevin's decision to go Hurry-up at halftime against the Broncos. And he almost didn't do it. Had to talk himself into it.

If Kubiak had made the call why didn't he do it again in the Green Bay or Seattle games? Why wait until the 4th Quarter when you weren't afraid to pull the trigger at halftime?

It's obvious: because Gary wasn't calling the shots. Kevin was. And he was so enamored with what he had morphed Gary's system into he couldn't bring himself to adjust but the one time when it wasn't working. 

That's the arrogance of youth, plain and simple. Stefanski had the 2 minute drive before halftime of the Dallas game and the entire 2nd half of the Broncos along with a few other instances that proved he could switch schemes and get results. But he refused to do it until it was late in games against the Packers, Bears, Hags, Packers and 9ers.

Not learning from mistakes is also a hallmark of youth. And like DeFloppo, Kevin was a youngster as a Playcaller.

Where do you get the stuff about the denver game?  The part about Stefanski being the one not to go hurry up.  That has been a long standing complaint about offenses under Zimmer is the lack of use of tempo to get the O clicking.  I dont give a shit about Stefanski,  but I would bet that the lack of tempo is more of a Zimmer directive then Stefanski not wanting to do it  What O guy doesnt want to go faster?
I don't make shit up. Ever. Cousins was asked in an interview after the game about going up tempo and he flat out said Kevin didn't make up his mind to do it until right before they left the locker room. Not Zimmer. Stefanski. 

Now, if I'm Rick I don't like my QB talking about decisions made behind closed doors. Let the media ask the coaches about that kind of stuff and they can respond how they want. Let the players talk about plays.

But Cousins was willing to dish and answered the question directly. Stefanski made the call. Not Zimmer.  Who if it was his decision probably would never OK it over halfway through the 4th Quarter.
I never said you did.