Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins has regressed?
Since last season, I have been beating one drum louder than any others, when it comes to Cousins: THIS is the QB that Zimmer wanted.  He wanted one that wouldn't take chances and was a game-manager.  Cousins is a better thrower (which is different from quarter-backing) than he's shown; but I believe that Zimmer has told him not to take chances.  How many times have we seen KC throw a ball to a receiver that wasn't "wide" open?  Other QBs throw to spots and trust their receivers; Cousins throws to receivers.  Could be the same reason that Sloter was let go: because he was a gun-slinger, not a game-manager.  

Zimmer thinks his defense is good enough to win most games, as long as the QB doesn't turn the ball over.  And that is exactly how this offense has been constructed: to play ball-control football that doesn't turn the ball over.  If we had better pass-protection, we'd have fewer turnovers... but we still wouldn't have a "winning" offense.  Among the problems with this philosophy is the fact that our defense is not as good a Zim thinks it is. Chicago showed what a GREAT defense looks like.  And ours didn't look anything like it.  We couldn't get the Bears' offense off of the field.  That's not the offenses' fault.  I'm not making excuses for the offense when I say this: but how often does an offense get, like, 3 possessions in an entire half?  We moved the ball on one of them (and then Diggs fumbled the ball).  

I'm not saying we could've / would've / should've won the game (because Chicago was the better team); but I put this more on Zim and his failed philosophy (and his directives toward the offense- and Cousins in particular) than on Cousins, himself.  Chicago might be able to win with their defense... but they didn't go out and get a game-manager for QB.  Granted, Mitch isn't very good... but Daniels didn't play like a guy who was afraid to lose the game for his team.  Cousins did.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@SFVikeFan said:
O-line is a separate issue, separate topic.

When Cousins had a clean pocket, clear view, he overshot Thielen.  I can think of other plays where the pocket was clean and he ran out of it.  

For $84 million, when you have a clean pocket and a guy open, those are the throws I expect him to hit.
I dont think so,  a shit OL creates shit QB play.  just because the beatings are constant doenst mean they dont have a negative affect on nearly every play.  That OL needs to improve by a long ways before KC should be expected to be comfortable in any pocket they create.
Kirk was responsible for most of his own beatings yesterday.  I remember Reiff getting beat by Mack once and Elf getting tossed aside on a swim.  Other than that, most of the sacks were Cousins holding the ball too long.  Often on 3 step drops.

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@SFVikeFan said:

When Cousins had a clean pocket, clear view, he overshot Thielen.  I can think of other plays where the pocket was clean and he ran out of it.  

For $84 million, when you have a clean pocket and a guy open, those are the throws I expect him to hit.
I dont think so,  a shit OL creates shit QB play.  just because the beatings are constant doenst mean they dont have a negative affect on nearly every play.  That OL needs to improve by a long ways before KC should be expected to be comfortable in any pocket they create.
Kirk was responsible for most of his own beatings yesterday.  I remember Reiff getting beat by Mack once and Elf getting tossed aside on a swim.  Other than that, most of the sacks were Cousins holding the ball too long.  Often on 3 step drops.
i didnt see it that way,  I am not sure if I will have the stomach to watch the game again, but there were quite a few occasions where his protection wasnt there and he wasnt even through his read progressions yet.

Quote: @pumpf said:
Since last season, I have been beating one drum louder than any others, when it comes to Cousins: THIS is the QB that Zimmer wanted.  He wanted one that wouldn't take chances and was a game-manager.  Cousins is a better thrower (which is different from quarter-backing) than he's shown; but I believe that Zimmer has told him not to take chances.  How many times have we seen KC throw a ball to a receiver that wasn't "wide" open?  Other QBs throw to spots and trust their receivers; Cousins throws to receivers.  Could be the same reason that Sloter was let go: because he was a gun-slinger, not a game-manager.  

Zimmer thinks his defense is good enough to win most games, as long as the QB doesn't turn the ball over.  And that is exactly how this offense has been constructed: to play ball-control football that doesn't turn the ball over.  If we had better pass-protection, we'd have fewer turnovers... but we still wouldn't have a "winning" offense.  Among the problems with this philosophy is the fact that our defense is not as good a Zim thinks it is. Chicago showed what a GREAT defense looks like.  And ours didn't look anything like it.  We couldn't get the Bears' offense off of the field.  That's not the offenses' fault.  I'm not making excuses for the offense when I say this: but how often does an offense get, like, 3 possessions in an entire half?  We moved the ball on one of them (and then Diggs fumbled the ball).  

I'm not saying we could've / would've / should've won the game (because Chicago was the better team); but I put this more on Zim and his failed philosophy (and his directives toward the offense- and Cousins in particular) than on Cousins, himself.  Chicago might be able to win with their defense... but they didn't go out and get a game-manager for QB.  Granted, Mitch isn't very good... but Daniels didn't play like a guy who was afraid to lose the game for his team.  Cousins did.
$84 million dollars and he can't handle a coach telling him not to turn the ball over?  No, this is cousins not able to get that GB loss out of his head.  Cousins can throw guys open, and he has.  Some of the passes he hits to AT and Diggs are incredible.  But he just doesn't want to throw the damn ball.  Now he had the deep pass to Thielen, but I think AT was slow on that play because of the chicago field.  It is notoriously slow, and that affected Cook and our WRs.  Probably should have pounded Mattison a bit more.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@SFVikeFan said:

i didnt see it that way,  I am not sure if I will have the stomach to watch the game again, but there were quite a few occasions where his protection wasnt there and he wasnt even through his read progressions yet.
I don't have a way of rewatching, or the desire to either.  But I do remember plenty of short drops where you expect the ball out in a hurry but it never came out. 

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
He is who we thought he is.
AND NOW WE'RE ON THE HOOK!

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@Vikergirl said:
He is who we thought he is.
AND NOW WE'RE ON THE HOOK!
True that but he was the best option available.

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@SFVikeFan said:

I don't have a way of rewatching, or the desire to either.  But I do remember plenty of short drops where you expect the ball out in a hurry but it never came out. 
was the receiver open though?   or was he trying to hit something deeper and then coming down his reads?  I dont know what plays you meant and honestly it was all kind of one big blur of shit after once again watching our D get shoved around the field in the first half.

We were told Sloter couldn't hang with the starters or set the o in practice consistently---maybe it runs deeper and his exit is more a case kenanum scenario.  Cutting him and hanging on to that walking dead extra mannion might be a delayed tactic by zim.  If KC keeps up this stinkfest fans might be hankering for the backup---but wen you look over at bleeech sean not so much

Quote: @StickyBun said:
He never looked as bad last year as he does this year. I really don't know what to make of it. His lack of mobility is such a hinderance sometimes. The offensive line is still lacking in pass protection. So many good athletes on D today I think an important part of a modern day NFL QB is escapability. A few guys like Brees, Brady and Rivers aren't mobile but they are Hall of Famers. They are franchise guys that know what to do when protections breaks down and you won't see their likes again in the NFL. The new guard is mobile almost to a man.

Not even halfway thru his contract and the team is stuck. He had guys open downfield and either didn't see them or couldn't hit them.
I'm not a huge cousins fan, but that's all on Zimmer.

It all starts with keeping 4Wrs on the 53, he doesn't want to throw the ball, he wants to run it.  So he hangs his qb out to dry.