Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'd be pretty happy with this mock
On a related note, you can watch the entire Senior Bowl on youtube. On the starting line for the North, you literally have Dalton Risner lined up at RT, next to Chris LIndstrom at RG, next to Garrett Bradbury at C. Also in the game are Dillard, McGary, McCoy, Jenkins, Howard, Edoga. It's draftnik gold. 

alot were high on Risner. Can he plug and play at LG if we traded back similar to what most of us think about Jonah?

Quote: @"Bullazin" said:
alot were high on Risner. Can he plug and play at LG if we traded back similar to what most of us think about Jonah?
I think Risner can play any position but left tackle. The difference between the two is that I'd say Jonah is better with his hands, better balance, overall just a better technician. He can also project long term to left tackle, though some seem convinced he'll never play there.

Where Risner wins is with his intangibles. He has a passion for the game. Always looking for the next guy to knock down. Guys like that tend to do well in the NFL.

For the Vikings, I think Jonah is a day-one LG. If it's Risner, Vikings might try him at RT first, prompting the O'Neill and Reiff shifts. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Bullazin" said:
I think Risner can play any position but left tackle. The difference between the two is that I'd say Jonah is better with his hands, better balance, overall just a better technician. He can also project long term to left tackle, though some seem convinced he'll never play there.

Where Risner wins is with his intangibles. He has a passion for the game. Always looking for the next guy to knock down. Guys like that tend to do well in the NFL.

For the Vikings, I think Jonah is a day-one LG. If it's Risner, Vikings might try him at RT first, prompting the O'Neill and Reiff shifts. 
This is exactly how I'd project it as well. The fortunate side of things for the Vikings is that nobody outside of Kline is really entrenched in a specific position. Reiff can play LT, RT, and possibly LG. Elflein can play C and LG. Then you have O'Neill who can play either tackle spot. That gives them a lot more draft flexibility. 

Yet another CBS Sports mock...this one by Cody Benjamin.  He has 3 OL men going ahead of the Vikes who take at #18, Cody Ford.  He has the Puke taking Dillard at #12.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news...ccoy-deal/

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
The only thing I don't like about it is the Tillery pick will undoubtedly kick either Jaleel or Jalyn of the roster (unless Jalyn gets kicked outside to DE).  That's kind of a waste of an early 4th rounder if you have to cut one after a season or two.
Agreed. Everyone needs to remember those picks were made instead of other players (including some OL). Were either superstars? No - but the logic has been that an early 4th-round player (both of those guys would have been no surprise to go in the 3rd) with 1-2 years of coaching by Zimmer and Patterson, should be better than a rookie 2nd-rounder, right?
Besides, the only reason addition of an early DL draftee should push someone else off the roster is because we kept Everson Griffen. I think that was a mistake, but having made it, the team should be deep enough at DL. Everyone, quit lusting after defensive linemen in this draft: they are a luxury item for the Vikings, and our heating bill (offensive line) is overdue.
Re Jalyn Holmes, I also wonder if he might stay at DE. But...the Vikings with a DE that weighs more than 270 pounds soaking wet?? A 6'5" 285 strongside end who could hold his ground against OTs and rush with power instead of speed? Wow, crazy talk...

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
The only thing I don't like about it is the Tillery pick will undoubtedly kick either Jaleel or Jalyn of the roster (unless Jalyn gets kicked outside to DE).  That's kind of a waste of an early 4th rounder if you have to cut one after a season or two.
Agreed. Everyone needs to remember those picks were made instead of other players (including some OL). Were either superstars? No - but the logic has been that an early 4th-round player (both of those guys would have been no surprise to go in the 3rd) with 1-2 years of coaching by Zimmer and Patterson, should be better than a rookie 2nd-rounder, right?
Besides, the only reason addition of an early DL draftee should push someone else off the roster is because we kept Everson Griffen. I think that was a mistake, but having made it, the team should be deep enough at DL. Everyone, quit lusting after defensive linemen in this draft: they are a luxury item for the Vikings, and our heating bill (offensive line) is overdue.
Re Jalyn Holmes, I also wonder if he might stay at DE. But...the Vikings with a DE that weighs more than 270 pounds soaking wet?? A 6'5" 285 strongside end who could hold his ground against OTs and rush with power instead of speed? Wow, crazy talk...

Jaleel Johnson should get a chance to play at 3-tech, he really improved once they moved him off the nose. At worst he is a rotational player at that position if not the starter. Signing Stephen back also kind of plays into that since they can have a 3-man rotation with Linval, Stephen, and Johnson. No clue what their plan is with Jalyn Holmes but I do agree it might make more sense to move him back to DE. 

When it comes to draft needs I don't know if I would necessarily limit the need to DT. If the right DE is there they could pull the trigger since Everson may not be back in 2020 and Weatherly is in the last year of his deal and would best be used in rotation anyways. You also have the flexibility to bump Everson into the UT role as a pass rusher to get a rookie year 1 snaps.