Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Public Service Announcement: Insert Your Outrage !
I probably should just let this die... but I have been thinking about it, and I feel like I need to add one more thing.  And it's not meant to be a shot at the OP (although I will, as an example), because lots of people are guilty of it.  It is being upset about something when "the other side" does it... but staying silent when "your" side does it.  It makes me wonder (in this case) if people even care about the veterans- or are just using them to score political points.  I say that (in regards to this thread) because the previous president didn't give a #*$# about the military... and even less about the police.  He didn't respect them at all.  (And don't get me started on Hillary... somehow she respects them even less).  Yet when they did things that were disrespectful of the military (or police) we never heard liberals say a peep about it.  (On the other hand, we heard plenty of conservatives squawk about it).  Now when Trump does "the same" (in essence, not substance) things, the liberals squawk and the conservatives are silent (or defend him).  

If people actually cared, I would think that they would be upset no matter who committed the offense.  Sadly, I don't see it.  Not much.  I do see more conservatives willing to call out Trump than I see liberals calling out (previous) presidents.  But that could also be biased by the circles in which I run.  At least I can say that there were a couple of conservative / libertarian posters here who agreed that Trump was wrong.  I don't see many folks saying that about anything that Obama did.

And, NO this is not "whataboutism".  I'm not defending anything that Trump (or anyone else) has done.  I'm saying that if you're going to gripe about it- because you really do think wrong was committed- them be sure to gripe when anyone does it- not just the people you don't like.  Otherwise, it makes it seem like you don't really care about the veterans (in this case)... and it comes off as disingenuous and intellectually dishonest.

Quote: @"IDVikingfan" said:
@"BigAl99" said:
"though he later told The New York Times he could not remember which foot was affected by the malady or how long it lasted."

It lasted as long as needed.  I think he still suffers from it, in fact, it may have caused a yellowing of the spine also. 
What we need is a real combat veteran like Hilary landing at airports under gunfire, she would show us how it is done!  Course the gun fire never happened but her story remained the same.

Yes, it was poor form for the President to miss the event honoring fallen WWII military in france and it is/was disrespectful for football players to disrespect our national anthem at the start of a football game.

I have mixed feelings on how important is it for the President to visit troops in a war zone.  Would take a lot of planning and effort to provide the necessary security to protect the CIC.  My guess is that more military personal would appreciate a good comedian  or celebrity over political commentary by a D or R politician.
Well if it's a game of compare and contrast of mendacious claims, we will run out of internet before all of the Talking Yam's prevarications can be listed.  It was poor form to wear a brown suit, or trip at a public event while campaigning.  The excuses made by the Mango Mussolini saying "it is what it is" for a potential customer to facilitate murder or sending 5,000 soldiers away from their families at tax payer expense,  for a campaign stunt is moral perversity.  Can't wait till Ivanka goes through the same process HRC about e-mail rules, how you gonna defend that.  How about the William
"Ryan" Owens cover up or the Niger ambush and the treatment of La David Johnson's family....The Cinnamon Hitler can be your leader and you can rationalize and equivocate all you want, the guy is a POS and your grandkids will look at your MAGA hats and change their names.

Quote: @"BigAl99" said:
@"IDVikingfan" said:
@"BigAl99" said:
"though he later told The New York Times he could not remember which foot was affected by the malady or how long it lasted."

It lasted as long as needed.  I think he still suffers from it, in fact, it may have caused a yellowing of the spine also. 
What we need is a real combat veteran like Hilary landing at airports under gunfire, she would show us how it is done!  Course the gun fire never happened but her story remained the same.

Yes, it was poor form for the President to miss the event honoring fallen WWII military in france and it is/was disrespectful for football players to disrespect our national anthem at the start of a football game.

I have mixed feelings on how important is it for the President to visit troops in a war zone.  Would take a lot of planning and effort to provide the necessary security to protect the CIC.  My guess is that more military personal would appreciate a good comedian  or celebrity over political commentary by a D or R politician.
Well if it's a game of compare and contrast of mendacious claims, we will run out of internet before all of the Talking Yam's prevarications can be listed.  It was poor form to wear a brown suit, or trip at a public event while campaigning.  The excuses made by the Mango Mussolini saying "it is what it is" for a potential customer to facilitate murder or sending 5,000 soldiers away from their families at tax payer expense,  for a campaign stunt is moral perversity.  Can't wait till Ivanka goes through the same process HRC about e-mail rules, how you gonna defend that.  How about the William
"Ryan" Owens cover up or the Niger ambush and the treatment of La David Johnson's family....The Cinnamon Hitler can be your leader and you can rationalize and equivocate all you want, the guy is a POS and your grandkids will look at your MAGA hats and change their names.
You're right, I was guilty of "whataboutism" and so are you.  We're even.  I am an American and thus the POTUS is my president, regardless of party affiliation.  You can cut the tone as I did not vote for Trump nor do I have MAGA hat.  I am a conservative that is disgusted with much of Trump's actions and dialog.  No need to replay the election, but I could not in good conscience vote for Hilary either so I wrote in a local politician that I respect.  Idaho is a conservative state and has gone R for as many years in a row as Minnesota has gone D in the presidential election.  Idaho is not likely to vote for a D unless it is total landslide election and the same holds for an R in Minnesota.

If I were in control, I seek for others to understand that both sides have points that supports their view so ultimately it boils to how we weight the points.  It should be possible to acknowledge the areas where we agree and where we don't. I am sickened by the vitriol expressed by so many Americans today, particularly those who love the "gotcha arguement".  It is difficult to find any middle ground with that type of behavior.  I do appreciate talking to those with a different opinion that express ideas in a respectable manner and who are not out win at all costs.  

No we are not even, you weren't close to being disgusted, you were normalizing the shit show conservatives have enabled.  Sorry,  not saying you have an intellectual deficit, don't get defensive,  you just have bad luck, thinking.  
Believe it's fake news, prove it, eat all the romain, government don't work, you know best.  Dunning-Kruger will support us survivors pov.

sorry Al, I'm not an angry liberal.  Peeing & Moaning about the situation on an internet newsgroup has absolutely no effect on creating change.  I chose not to be an angry person.  YMMV.  Scratch that, no need to say may.

Quote: @"BigAl99" said:
Quote:
The Cinnamon Hitler can be your leader and you can rationalize and equivocate all you want, the guy is a POS and your grandkids will look at your MAGA hats and change their names.

There seems to be some consternation re: Trump's "commitment to the military" vis-a-vis his non-show. Wink

So what has Trump done?  These last two years?

1. signed the NDAA.  McCain's office issued a statement from the senator applauding the bill and its signing by the president. "This year's NDAA represents an important opportunity to implement an effective approach to confront a growing array of threats," McCain said in a statement. "The administration's National Defense Strategy outlined a framework for identifying and prioritizing these threats. Through the NDAA, Congress is fulfilling its duty to help translate that strategy into policy and align resources to implement it. Finally, I'm humbled that my colleagues in Congress chose to designate this bill in my name. Serving as chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee and working on behalf of America's brave service members. 
  2. "Whither ISIS?" The group has lost nearly all the terrority it once held in the Middle East, and military officials say their current missions are focused on rooting out small pockets of enemy fighters in remote areas or hiding in urban centers.
  3. NATO strengthening.  Last summer, NATO officials announced that 25 nations would boost their contributions to the alliance. In addition, Romania became the sixth country (with the United States, Greece, England, Estonia and Poland) to spend 2 percent of their country’s gross domestic product on defense, a spending target set by NATO.
  4. One veterans issue was listed: signing new Veterans Affairs accountability legislation, “to allow senior officials in the VA to fire failing employees and establishes safeguards to protect whistleblowers. That proposal — which was strongly opposed by former President Barack Obama — has drawn criticism from federal union officials for unfairly targeting lower-level VA workers, but drew bipartisan support when it passed Congress."

Quote: @"pumpf" said:
I probably should just let this die... but I have been thinking about it, and I feel like I need to add one more thing.  And it's not meant to be a shot at the OP (although I will, as an example), because lots of people are guilty of it.  It is being upset about something when "the other side" does it... but staying silent when "your" side does it.  It makes me wonder (in this case) if people even care about the veterans- or are just using them to score political points.  I say that (in regards to this thread) because the previous president didn't give a #*$# about the military... and even less about the police.  He didn't respect them at all.  (And don't get me started on Hillary... somehow she respects them even less).  Yet when they did things that were disrespectful of the military (or police) we never heard liberals say a peep about it.  (On the other hand, we heard plenty of conservatives squawk about it).  Now when Trump does "the same" (in essence, not substance) things, the liberals squawk and the conservatives are silent (or defend him).  

If people actually cared, I would think that they would be upset no matter who committed the offense.  Sadly, I don't see it.  Not much.  I do see more conservatives willing to call out Trump than I see liberals calling out (previous) presidents.  But that could also be biased by the circles in which I run.  At least I can say that there were a couple of conservative / libertarian posters here who agreed that Trump was wrong.  I don't see many folks saying that about anything that Obama did.

And, NO this is not "whataboutism".  I'm not defending anything that Trump (or anyone else) has done.  I'm saying that if you're going to gripe about it- because you really do think wrong was committed- them be sure to gripe when anyone does it- not just the people you don't like.  Otherwise, it makes it seem like you don't really care about the veterans (in this case)... and it comes off as disingenuous and intellectually dishonest.
What did Obama do to the military that was so disrespectful that compares to Trump?   Obama never missed visiting Arlington on Vets Day a single time in his 8 years, Trump on the other hand has never attended it.  He's too busy being such a diehard nationalist I guess.

Obama never disrespected gold star families.  He never slammed POW's.  He never boasted how he knew more than the generals.  He never slammed the man responsible for the Seal Team that nailed Bin Laden.  Trump owns ALL of this.  Your outrage over Obama never ceases to amaze me, but by all means enlighten me.  How was anything Obama did, said about the military even comparable to Trump's non-stop disrespect?  

And as for the police, give me a break.  You taking snippets out of his speech that he acknowledged they have some bad apples and SOME need to stop crimes against minorities?  You're upset Obama didn't turn a blind eye to blatant racist police brutality when it occurred?  

Well, this is interesting.  

Buzzfeed's editor just tweeted that Trump's claims about not visiting Paris on Veteran's Day were indeed, true.
Buzzfeed's report was via a FOIA request they submitted.   

For some reason, Tweets can't be posted on here. 
So you can find/link to  the tweet that are in the links.  

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/...e-of-rain/

https://www.redstate.com/bonchie/2019/05...fake-news/

I would link to the tweet from a MSM-sourced story, but there is none in my google search.  

I don't know if Buzzfeed is left or right wing blog site.  
I do know they were the first to print the bogus Steele dossier. 
They also falsely claimed Trump told Cohen to lie.  (Mueller took the rare occasion to immediately nuke that one). 

But I will give Buzzfeed credit for printing what they found.  

BTW, after re-reading this thread, it seems AGR's post(s) were the best analysis, in retrospect.