Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Board Split
I just want a place where I can go and feel comfortable amongst "friends".  But since Cheers is a make-believe place, this is the next closest thing.  I get that some folks like the idea of a bar where people can call each other names and argue "to the pain" (not to the death... Princess Bride reference)... and then hoist a beer together.  But at this point in my life, I'm just tired of all the negativity.  I get enough of it in "real life"; I don't need it also in my "virtual life".  So that's where I'll be: wherever the people treat each other with respect and civility.

Quote: @Tom Moore said:
@badgervike said:
@Tom Moore said:
The board split was odd.  Yes, the biggest issue wasn’t the politics, but the nasty attacks on people’s stances.  I have never found a need to talk politics on a football chat board, so I never did.  If I saw those threads, I just stayed out - no one has ever changed someone’s political stances on a faceless internet board.  Other people’s politics don’t bother me in the least.

I started posting and creating new threads less, when I found more interaction on our Twitter location.  It really feels like the board used to be.  For every turd baiter there is, there’s 500 goodViking fans who interact.  It is fun, and the interaction and feedback is quicker (for me).  And, we havevat least 30 former players who interact regularly with our Twitter followers.  we even set up a viewing of the 1980 Cle vs Min game with Tommy Kramer about 8 weeks ago.  FREE!

I visited the other board once.  It was early on, and there were people attacking me over there, led by Ritchie Blackmore (not his real name) saying I was a liar and ruined the board because we created relationships with the Vikings and players.  He wanted the board to be a free for all with no rules.

Several said kind things about our efforts on the board here, and were slammed by Ritchie for doing so.  So, I decided that what I didnt see, wouldn’t bother me.  So, I never visited again.  Plenty of fine people over there still (assuming they are still there).

I’d love the old board tracfic to return, and would always welcome the chance to talk Vikings with you.

But, I am still here, I just soend more time purting our content on Twitter.
In fairness, there was drama between you and Ritchie about how this board started and subsequent control.  He was banned here.  All that happened before I joined here from PT.  It carried over to that board since you two could finally "discuss it".  Ritchie has subsequently been banned from both boards....
As I said early, you're all welcome to stop by and say hi at the other place.  Conversely, I have always been made to feel welcome here when I come visit the old 'hood.
Your key statement is “if Ritchie is to be believed”.  We now know he has been banned for bad behavior at the other board.

There was NO drama between us.  I never knew him, never met him, never spoke to him, and PM’d just one time.  That PM was fine early, and he was fine with me.  The dust-up he had was when he got mad when Troy Aikman was going to talk Pondee”r with us.  We announced it.  Ritchie posted “F Troy Aikman” and then the board collectively did not take his side.  So, he went scorched earth and posted profanities in thread titles on opening day.  I think he got embarassed by the board reaction and lost complete control of himself.

That’s all it was.  He was just a really angry guy when he was here.  He then blamed me in posts because I created affliations with the team to help get better insight to fans they dont see or hear.  He said I “sild out to the big corporations!”  If getting more info on the Viking players and team was bad for a Viking site, then his take is accurate

That’s just the truth.  Believe it if you like, it is fine if you don’t.  I’m glad for every Viking fan I’ve met here..
and now you know the rest of the story. i had not been on any viking board for quite some time and completly missed the fuck troy akmin drama.  

lol, we all act like a bunch of little school girls. damn internet

Quote: @Tom Moore said:

@prairieghost said:
@SmokedPears said:
@pumpf said:
@SmokedPears said:
@MaroonBells said:
I didn't even know people were missing until someone mentioned it a few weeks ago. But then I realized I hadn't seen a few specific posters in a while. I miss one or two, but I'm guessing the majority are the type who get offended if you disagree with them. 

I don't visit any board but this one. I don't have a 2nd favorite football team and I don't play in more than one fantasy league. I guess I'm funny like that. 

And you still have your superiority complex. Carry on.
It seems strange that you would "come back" (?) to this board... just to attack 2 posters here.  

I actually wanted to respond to Mike's post but got distracted. You're right and I apologize for the derail.

Miss talking to you, Mr. Pears Smile  I hope all is well for you and your family.
I still temember putting together the Christian Ponder Video for you Smoked.  Good to hear from you
Wow, I haven't thought about that video in a long time. It's more cheesy than I remember, lol. Inspired by a dreadful season. Things are looking up.

Five years ago:

Quote: @SmokedPears said:
@Tom Moore said:

@prairieghost said:
@SmokedPears said:
@pumpf said:
@SmokedPears said:
@MaroonBells said:
I didn't even know people were missing until someone mentioned it a few weeks ago. But then I realized I hadn't seen a few specific posters in a while. I miss one or two, but I'm guessing the majority are the type who get offended if you disagree with them. 

I don't visit any board but this one. I don't have a 2nd favorite football team and I don't play in more than one fantasy league. I guess I'm funny like that. 

And you still have your superiority complex. Carry on.
It seems strange that you would "come back" (?) to this board... just to attack 2 posters here.  

I actually wanted to respond to Mike's post but got distracted. You're right and I apologize for the derail.

Miss talking to you, Mr. Pears Smile  I hope all is well for you and your family.
I still temember putting together the Christian Ponder Video for you Smoked.  Good to hear from you
Wow, I haven't thought about that video in a long time. It's more cheesy than I remember, lol. Inspired by a dreadful season. Things are looking up.

Five years ago:

This post should be labeled not safe for work and not safe for home.

Quote: @SmokedPears said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
P1 has already mentioned abandoning that board at least once (shocking, I know). So it might just be a matter of time where everyone is back here. One board, two boards, 1721 boards...find the ones you like...avoid the ones you dont...does it really matter? ...nothing wrong with options. But yeah, this is more than old news. It's packer week... 

Everyone has bad days. I seem to recall Mike considering stepping down on several occasions.
Yep I had heard about it and my thought was, I know that feeling. 

Why does this thread feel like an auto accident with many slowing down to take a peek?

This board has certainly taken some interesting twists the last few years. I dont get the Bercich thing anymore, the whole thing frankly feels a bit in limbo and it makes me question the long-term viability of the forum vs resources put into other media. 

Interesting how it takes a weird thread like this to bring so many out of the wood-work. Forums used to be where die-hards hung out (and we still do for sure). That said, I get the social media element now. Only constant in life is change, so you roll with it - the good and the bad. 

I dont expect any more of this joint than it gives me today, a place to hang and discuss some football. I think Pumpf put it very nicely and succinctly - at least from my perch in life. 

Also is it time for make up sex?

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Why does this thread feel like an auto accident with many slowing down to take a peek?

This board has certainly taken some interesting twists the last few years. I dont get the Bercich thing anymore, the whole thing frankly feels a bit in limbo and it makes me question the long-term viability of the forum vs resources put into other media. 

Interesting how it takes a weird thread like this to bring so many out of the wood-work. Forums used to be where die-hards hung out (and we still do for sure). That said, I get the social media element now. Only constant in life is change, so you roll with it - the good and the bad. 

I dont expect any more of this joint than it gives me today, a place to hang and discuss some football. I think Pumpf put it very nicely and succinctly - at least from my perch in life. 
I have similar wonderings,  I get that times change and Tom puts a ton of time , money, and effort into what he does and he wants the most efficient and effective means of distribution for those efforts,  but at the same time I don't see those works as part of this anymore.  (Vikefans was a message board before it was a Web site and twitter machine)  It's getting a different feel for it,  like the Web site and message board are secondary to feeding twitter.

I don't use twitter,  Ive tried it on a couple occasions and i don't like it.  It's not for me,  however it is still very popular,  more so than message boards so I do completely understand why Tom chooses to use it.  I just wonder where that leaves the Longship in the grand scheme of things. 

The decline in participation is noticeable and that has a tricke effect in various ways most of which are negative IMO,  even if the waters seem calm for now.

I don't know what the future holds for what we built here, but I do appreciate the efforts in the past and what we have enjoyed over the years.....yes even that one guy.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:

I have similar wonderings,  I get that times change and Tom puts a ton of time , money, and effort into what he does and he wants the most efficient and effective means of distribution for those efforts,  but at the same time I don't see those works as part of this anymore.  (Vikefans was a message board before it was a Web site and twitter machine)  It's getting a different feel for it,  like the Web site and message board are secondary to feeding twitter.

I don't use twitter,  Ive tried it on a couple occasions and i don't like it.  It's not for me,  however it is still very popular,  more so than message boards so I do completely understand why Tom chooses to use it.  I just wonder where that leaves the Longship in the grand scheme of things. 

The decline in participation is noticeable and that has a tricke effect in various ways most of which are negative IMO,  even if the waters seem calm for now.

I don't know what the future holds for what we built here, but I do appreciate the efforts in the past and what we have enjoyed over the years.....yes even that one guy.
So I think I can have the twitter posts by Tom feed in as posts. Currently they are displayed as side items in the discussions layout. The biggest thing is that Tom does want to share his stuff with everyone here, the problem is having to do double work. Post it here, twitter, and any other social media outlets. 

Now here's the thing, I KNOW that Tom wants to share experiences with people, and not just written accounts either. When possible he will bring a member on the road with him to help work a game. So that's why we gain access so that we can share those experiences with folks. Also keep in mind that in order to participate in that there is a certain set of standards that people need to be able to adhere to. First can people look the part? Dress professionally, and act professionally. Not be a fan in the press box. You can't cheer or grumble at the result of a play. So yeah that's all to say that the entire reason that we have been trying to gain audience is to gain access and the point of gaining access has always been to share with other fans.

The site will always be necessary but we have a two man team to try and produce content and get it posted. In reality we need more people to help that work. And we'd like to expand our social media footprint to FaceBook Groups, Instagram, and others not because we want to move away from this site and this forum. But because it helps us bring other things to this group. 

This group is the core of our reason for being, and it is the heart and soul of why we do the type of stories and interviews that we do. We could go dirt digging and go negative like other publications and get more "clickbait" that way and probably grow fast.... But that isn't what we've ever wanted to do. 

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
Also is it time for make up sex?
I mean are you volunteering?  I don't particularly want to swing that way with a bunch of other dudes!!