Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Everson Griffen to Sign Extension This Morning
I remember fans thinking we overpaid for an unproven Griffen 4(?) years ago? That turned out to be a great bet by the front office. I'm glad we locked him up again. He's a great player and a great Viking. Love know that he's gonna be out there for some more years.

[Image: wky53w0vi9zk.jpg]
Back Nine you say?!  B) 

He'll want a mulligan...

Quote: @Kentis said:
 [Image: wky53w0vi9zk.jpg]
Back Nine you say?!  B) 
Love it.  You know EG is talking shit while Rodgers grimaces in pain.  Rodgers seems like he is trying to push him off so he can cry in peace.

Griff is the 8th highest paid 4-3 DE in NFL and here is how he ranked per season.  

2016 he ranked 29th in tackles with 48.  11th in sacks with 8. 

2015 he ranked 45th in tackles with 44 and 10th in sacks with 10.5 sacks.  

2014 he ranked 9th in tackles with 57 and 4th in sacks with 12.  This is a great year and worth the money... and I think these are the numbers that earned him the 42.5 million dollar contract.  He has not matched this production so I can see how it could be interpreted that the Vikings did overpay... but as the far as the market goes now, they probably did not.    

2013 he ranked 109 in tackles with 27 and 43rd in sacks with 5.5.  Jared Allen was still here and Griff's play was limited. 

Quote: @"Viking Bob" said:
last time I checked Bradford qualifies as a veteran and a leader... 

Not sure why Bradford got brought into it, but he isn't going to get an extension at this time. Teddy will get tolled and Bradford will most likely get franchised at best. Just the way it is from what it is looking like

congrats griff!

Quote: @Bezerker88 said:
Griff is the 8th highest paid 4-3 DE in NFL and here is how he ranked per season.  

2016 he ranked 29th in tackles with 48.  11th in sacks with 8. 

2015 he ranked 45th in tackles with 44 and 10th in sacks with 10.5 sacks.  

2014 he ranked 9th in tackles with 57 and 4th in sacks with 12.  This is a great year and worth the money... and I think these are the numbers that earned him the 42.5 million dollar contract.  He has not matched this production so I can see how it could be interpreted that the Vikings did overpay... but as the far as the market goes now, they probably did not.    

2013 he ranked 109 in tackles with 27 and 43rd in sacks with 5.5.  Jared Allen was still here and Griff's play was limited. 
Well...  I just read an article yesterday that said Griffen has the 5th most sacks in the NFL since he became a starter in 2014 (30.5 sacks).

I'm not a huge fan of committing myself to a 29 year old player through 2022...  but if it allows us to re-sign Hunter, Waynes, Diggs, and Barr in the next two seasons I'm fine with it.

Everson is a very good player and made a bunch of fans eat crow that didn't like the deal he signed a couple years ago...  5th most sacks since 2014...  2 Pro Bowls...  Team leader...  he deserves to finish out his career here like Brian Robison.

I keep coming back to this: two days ago, someone tells you we're are about to extend someone on the team, making him the third highest player at his position, and that player isn't Rhodes... Would you have guessed it was Griffen?

I wouldn't have...honestly not sure who I would have guessed... Maybe Rudy...maybe Linval...this one still shocks me a bit...lot of thread left on those tires for sure...but if he had walked two years from now...I would have probably said better than keeping him passed his sell by date...