Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exploring one NFL exec’s claim that Kirk Cousins is ‘not a finisher’
Quote: @Poiple said:
@minny65 said:
@Poiple said:
@HappyViking said:
Last off season the Vikings signed a backup QB scrub for nearly league minimum by the name of Case Keenum.  Once he was forced to start, everyone waited and waited for him to fail (myself included).  But he didn't.  The supporting cast around him along with his work ethic and excellent coaching staff made him not only sucessful, but a very weathly FA QB this off season.

If Case can turn his career around and flourish with this Vikings offense, I have no reason to believe that Kirk can't do the same.  As a matter of fact, I think we all expect Kirk to exceed the great play of Case's 2017 season. 

Look at the scrub backup that became the SB MVP.  Experts also kept waiting for Foles to suck and play poorly.  That didn't happen, and he not only whipped our Vikings, but he beat the great HOF Brady and the Pats.

I think this proves it doesn't really matter what Kirk did with the Redskins.  It's a new chapter in his career.
It will be interesting to see if your expectations, along with many others, come true.  I dont think it is a slam dunk as many others do mainly because of the difference in skill sets between Keenum and Cousins and Cousins weaknesses in his game as highlighted in this article.
It seems strange that the normally conservative Vikings front office would take such a large flyer in the form if a record breaking guarenteed contract for QB that isnt elite and elt the three veterans they have on staff go.  It seems to be a case of if we pay him like a tier 1 franchise guy hopefully he will play like one.
This is one of the strangest stories in NFL history that I can recall. 
I hope that it all works out and they can design an offense and call a game that will allow Cousins to flourish.  It is going to be interesting as heck.
I don't think it is a strange story at all.  The Vikings Brass think he is a franchise QB and paid him like one.  You don't think he is a franchise QB so you find it strange?  I am happy this organization makes  decisions and has the support of ownership to get things like bringing in Cousins done.  

His previous team didnt want him and the Vikes paid a record amount AND guarenteed it!   If you dont find that strange then nothing will.
You won't budge from the fact the Redskins did want him but he would not sign with them.  Like said above, they franchised him twice and he was pretty clear that he didn't want to play for them when the team GM didn't even know his first name. 

The Redskins are one of the poorest run teams there is and I am not shocked that they bungled their QB situation.  Smith is not an upgrade and with that poor run game and defense he is in for a shock with that team...easily worst team in division this year with the vast improvement of the Giants.  

The Redskins and others are about to learn that Cousins is a potential franchise QB and we paid him as such because our Brass thinks the same.  His contract for this year is around 24 million and he will shortly be about the third or fourth highest paid QB.  Plus in his third year he will probably be around the 10th highest paid QB - just the market for a potential franchise QB.

i have said repeatedly that i hope he does do well.  Ive been a fan longer than most of you.  I think it is over all a very strange situation and as the artcles point out. it is a gamble
that is all

i have said repeatedly that i hope he does do well.  Ive been a fan longer than most of you.  I think it is over all a very strange situation and as the artcles point out. it is a gamble
that is all
Are you sure?  Because sone of these brothers anD sisters are older than dirt...or pfaithful.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Poiple said:
that is all
Are you sure?  Because sone of these brothers anD sisters are older than dirt...or pfaithful.
Hey!

You can kiss my old, white, still cute arse you SD s o b....And I refer to it as "closer to retirement than you" lol!

So I throw up a Hail Mary every year that is pulled in and I'm a "finisher"

that is all
OK I guess one man's use of the word strange is different then others.

Again, we think he is a potential franchise QB and paid him as such = not strange but the actual market, supply and demand.  

Quote: @minny65 said:
@Poiple said:
that is all

Again, we think he is a potential franchise QB and paid him as such = not strange but the actual market, supply and demand.  
Minny,  I dont know how anyone cant see it as strange.   The Vikes have three vets on staff and dont offer any of them a new contract.  That by itself is strange but this isnt a bunch of losers.  Its first round draft picks and a guy who just went 13-3 and took them to a NFCC.

Then they give a record breaking contract, GUARENTEED to a QB from another team who has some pretty big questions about him as the article points out.

Most NFL fans I’ve spoken to agree its a a strange situation but here at Purple Thoughts West its a matter of proof that you must be a rabble rouser and hoping the team fails. 

WTF is wrong with you guys?

@minny65 said:
@Poiple said:
that is all

Minny,  I dont know how anyone cant see it as strange.   The Vikes have three vets on staff and dont offer any of them a new contract.  That by itself is strange but this isnt a bunch of losers.  Its first round draft picks and a guy who just went 13-3 and took them to a NFCC.

Then they give a record breaking contract, GUARENTEED to a QB from another team who has some pretty big questions about him as the article points out.

Most NFL fans I’ve spoken to agree its a a strange situation but here at Purple Thoughts West its a matter of proof that you must be a rabble rouser and hoping the team fails. 

its a little disingenuous description of the situation,  how about you have 3 QBs,  1- that has never been able to maintain anything that resembles a healthy career,  1- that is coming off of what is best described as a career ending injury in most cases,  and 1 that played out his ass and had a career year,  but still left enough plays on the field that the team wanted to try and improve their offense with a more skilled player.... oh an a team that is superbowl ready except for the QB position and possibly the OL.  Strange would have been if they had turned the future over to any of the departed 3 without making a serious run at Cousins,  who could have gotten a better deal from other teams but chose the Vikings.

@minny65 said:
@Poiple said:
that is all

Let's just agree to disagree on the word/use of "strange".  

@minny65 said:
@Poiple said:
that is all

Here's what it boils down to for me. Why many don't find it strange.
I don't think any Viking fans wants to be reminded of how long and hard we have searched for that ever illusive franchise QB. The 3 on staff last year are accountable for two 1st round picks. Yet we WERE still looking for a safer long term investment. Maybe you view it as strange. I view it as the best opportunity to close the book on it for the near future. Hopefully the next 8 years. Gamble sure, when they weren't guaranteed of landing Kirk before. However strange, not so much. It's a risk 15 years in the making.