Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ryckophants Ain't Gonna Like These FACTS...
Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
I have no problem with a different opinion.  Freedom of speech is what makes this country great.

All I can say is that the dude is NOT lying.  The Vikings have won only two playoff games since Spielman arrived.

He was a GM in Miami before he came here so I never ever will believe he did not have significant input in all roster decisions from day one.

Having seen all 4 Super Bowl losses and being a fan since 1969, I can totally understand the lack of patience.

The Vikings, and by default, Spielman, have to win a Super Bowl.  That is the only measure remaining for this franchise.

The buck stops with Spielman.  He will get the credit and he will get the blame.  It comes with those paychecks.

But, he has been doing very well since hiring Zimmer.  The team is on the uptick making the playoffs twice since Zimmer arrived. 

Spielman has done a fantastic job in free agency thus far.  Cousins was the top QB on the market and Richardson was the top DT on the market unless you think Suh was better.

He has not added to the corner depth so that leads me to believe we will see an early pick on a corner this year.

If he adds Price, Wynn, or Ragnow too then he is doing as much as he can.  I cannot be mad at his efforts.

I like the direction and am optimistic about the team's chances of going to the Big Dance this year.

In the end though, participation trophies are not going to be good enough.

Minnesota Vikings fans deserve a Super Bowl victory!
Great summary of my own perspective. I don't mind NJ's occasional rants because, as Mark said, ultimately he's right - the Vikings don't have strong playoff success in their past 30 years, and that is really disappointing and makes me keep analyzing Spielman's efforts. I actually think he gets fired up when other fans start anointing this team and its execs with accolades in the offseason.

But here's the thing: this is not a binary Yes/No referendum on Rick Spielman (or Mike Zimmer). Just because Spielman is not a Super Bowl winner does not mean he should be fired. There is a lot of middle ground, and Spielman currently lives there...but there are a LOT of GMs who are much lower down that middle ground. By my very quick count, there are 8 active GMs who have SB rings, and I don't know that any of them are looking for a new job, so what alternative are you proposing to Spielman? He seems to be improving on some of his past mistakes and has a team that is within striking distance, so are we really supposed to endorse his dismissal?

IMO the most surprising thing about Spielman's tenure is that he has already survived two collapse/rebuild cycles, after Childress and Frazier...few GMs even keep their job after one. If it turns out our current team is not as good as we hope and the bottom falls out again, I will light the first torch. But it's not worth giving up at this point.

Quote: @minny65 said:
@pumpf said:
@minny65 said:
Can we let the thread drift back into the pit that is NJ?
Aw... this is the most fun I've had in awhile!
By giving an idiot an audience?  Like he is coherently reading your post and giving them consideration, come on can't we all just move on from a bait thread and one trick poster child?
I didn't write it for him.  I thought I'd bring a little humor to everyone else's day.  Even if no one else thought it was funny...
[Image: 8fk2kmcpoa99.jpg]

Maybe it is fun to kick around the resident syck-o-ryck-ophant every now and then.  Granted it is low hanging fruit, but in the offseason, you take what you can get.

The Vikings have 6 playoff wins in the last 20 years....more than the Cowboys, Chiefs, Bills, Browns, Bengals, Lions, and Redskins combined

Quote: @njvike said:

Does he warrant THIS season? Not up to me, and he's obviously here for the  season, so its not even worth discussing.
So then why are we discussing it

Quote: @quattrovike said:
The Vikings have 6 playoff wins in the last 20 years....more than the Cowboys, Chiefs, Bills, Browns, Bengals, Lions, and Redskins combined
No, no, no, no, no....

We HAVE TO hold ourselves to a higher standard than that. Right? 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@quattrovike said:
No, no, no, no, no....

We HAVE TO hold ourselves to a higher standard than that. Right? 

That might be a goal,  but several of those teams have a much more impressive trophy case than our storied franchise has mustered.

Quote: @quattrovike said:
And, of  those teams, 3 have also WON 9 Super Bowls. VIKINGS - ZERO 

IMHO, I would say that 
1 Super Bowl win equals at least 5 CONSECUTIVE division "championships".

If you're gonna be this inept in the postseason (2 playoff wins in 12 years), you at LEAST have to be consistent "champions" in the regular season.

We all know Schpielman can TALK THE TALK......I'M JUST PATIENTLY WAITING FOR HIM TO FINALLY WALK THE WALK. 

Win consecutive playoff games....at least ONCE! 
It takes 3 or 4 CONSECUTIVE playoff VICTORIES to win a Super Bowl.

The last Vikings Team to manage at LEAST 2 wins? The 1987 squad....THIRTY YEARS AGO.

Show it on the field, enough of this "at least we're not the WORST of the worst" Horse Shyte.

If your benchmark are teams like the BENGALS and Brown's, then YOU are not interested in CHAMPIONSHIPS....all YOU are interested in is simply NOT being the worst.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@njvike said:

Does he warrant THIS season? Not up to me, and he's obviously here for the  season, so its not even worth discussing.
So then why are we discussing it
Don't condense my post and THEN comment on YOUR edited version, OK , Slappy? 

Putting blame solely on Rick for years he was NOT in total control (FACT) is not a basis of fact.    He had a hand in it but others were making final decisions on roster and draft.  

Clearly ownership blamed others more than Rick for pre-2012 issues.

Since Rick became GM in 2012 how has he done?

North title 2 of last 3 years

Playoffs 3 of last 5 years