Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spielman Haters aren't gonna like
Well son of a Bitch..

Had a long fact filled rely just vanish into nothingness...  It would have changed everyones mind too....   Dammit.   =)

Not worth wasting my time to gather all the facts agian.  I’ll just summerize with this.  Last year, Rick was ranked 28th on some of these lists.  It’s amazing what a 13-3 season with a back up QB can do for one’s reputation.  And then Rick threw that QB away.   

Might as well as call me a Rickophant.  Spielman has done a great job of bringing excitement to Vikings football.  Of course we all wish we could have that trophy.   Honestly, would you change the outcome of the Saints game?  Have you ever cheered so hard?  The point is Spielman has made it fun to cheer the vikes on.  There is a quality team on the field.  Could Rick be better? Of course, just like we all can at our professions.

So there is only one answer?

All us Rickophants rise up and cheer

SKOL VIKES

Plus if I wanted to micro manage a GM'  job, I would do it for a board that my money is invested in.  

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Let's leave the bait for the fishermen....and the name calling for the other boards please.
What other boards... ?  Wink

Quote: @Bezerker88 said:
Well son of a Bitch..

Had a long fact filled rely just vanish into nothingness...  It would have changed everyones mind too....   Dammit.   =)

Not worth wasting my time to gather all the facts agian.  I’ll just summerize with this.  Last year, Rick was ranked 28th on some of these lists.  It’s amazing what a 13-3 season with a back up QB can do for one’s reputation.  And then Rick threw that QB away.   
Well, to be accurate, that other QB's contract expired and Rick refused to pay $36M+ for a QB who had one good season in his career (and that while throwing to one of the best pairs of receivers in the league).  This QB also mostly disappeared after one quarter in his first playoff game and then threw one of the stupidest interceptions a Viking has ever thrown to radically shift the momentum in the Championship game.  Any starting QB is a major investment, and safety and consistency are critical factors for any investment.

I removed NJ from this thread,  (or at least I think I did....first time trying)  Please dont try and pile on or make baiting comments in this line.  what was it that Ma used to say... if you cant say it nicely---shut the fuck up!

this time of year always gets contentious and its easy to fire off with venom,  please remember that we are all trying to be adults here and that we need to treat each other with civility regardless of whether we agree or not.
"All"?  I don't think that that's quite accurate.  Yes, it is putting the best construction on things... but, still... I'm not sure if it's quite true.   :p  (Me being one of the juveniles... I would know...)

Quote: @Norseman said:
@Bezerker88 said:
Well son of a Bitch..

Well, to be accurate, that other QB's contract expired and Rick refused to pay $36M+ for a QB who had one good season in his career (and that while throwing to one of the best pairs of receivers in the league).  This QB also mostly disappeared after one quarter in his first playoff game and then threw one of the stupidest interceptions a Viking has ever thrown to radically shift the momentum in the Championship game.  Any starting QB is a major investment, and safety and consistency are critical factors for any investment.
Since this is the second time our WRs have come up I will retype what I had in the “ghost post” about that...

Rick has spent 2 #1 picks on WR since 2012 and Zero of them are part of that duo.  How did we get that dou?  A hard working bust his ass undrafted player and 5th round pick that was kept off the field until injury(I think) forced our coaches hand.  Diggs was special in his rookie camp, I saw it and posted about it, Treadwell has been average at best in camps.  There is no way to know if Cousins will mesh with this team, the new Coordinatior and coach.   It’s a wait and see thing.  As far as the interception...  Case’s arm was hit during that INT, it’s not like he was running in an open field and threw it late, across his body, back into the middle of the field.   I would have liked to see what Case could have done with this team this year, but you’re right he did play his way into a bigger payday.  I hope Cousins is worth it.  

@Norseman said:
@Bezerker88 said:
Well son of a Bitch..

Since this is the second time our WRs have come up I will retype what I had in the “ghost post” about that...

Rick has spent 2 #1 picks on WR since 2012 and Zero of them are part of that duo.  How did we get that dou?  A hard working bust his ass undrafted player and 5th round pick that was kept off the field until injury(I think) forced our coaches hand.  Diggs was special in his rookie camp, I saw it and posted about it, Treadwell has been average at best in camps.  There is no way to know if Cousins will mesh with this team, the new Coordinatior and coach.   It’s a wait and see thing.  As far as the interception...  Case’s arm was hit during that INT, it’s not like he was running in an open field and threw it late, across his body, back into the middle of the field.   I would have liked to see what Case could have done with this team this year, but you’re right he did play his way into a bigger payday.  I hope Cousins is worth it.  
That's fair.  Unfortunately, it's more a symptom of the crap shoot that first round picks have become.  On draft day, on paper, they're all going to win starting jobs and take their respective teams to the next level (of course, the math suggests that on average for every team that reaches the next level, another team needs to regress one level).  

The rule of thumb in the NFL is that for every three first round picks; one will be a bust, one will be a starter, and one will become all pro.  Consider:
2016: Treadwell - bust
2015: Waynes - starter
2014: Barr - all pro
2014: Bridgewater  - starter
2013: Floyd - starter
2013: Rhodes - all pro
2013: Patterson - bust
2012: Kalil - starter
2012: Smith - all pro
2011: Ponder - bust
2009: Harvin - all pro
2007: Peterson - all pro
2006: Greenway - all pro
2005: Williamson  - bust
2005: James - bust
2004: Udeze - starter
2003: Williams - all pro
2002: McKinnie - starter (also, the only player that was ever cut from the pro bowl team)
2001: Bennett - starter
2000: Hovan - starter
1999: Culpepper - all pro
1999: Underwood - bust
1998: Moss - all pro
1997: Rudd - starter

That's 24 first round picks.  Six are busts.  Nine are starters.  Nine are all pro.   So, we've done slightly better than average.  Four of the busts are when we reached for "need" (Treadwell, Patterson, Ponder and Williamson).  James was a risk/reward due to his injury history.  Underwood was, of course, just a symptom of our dysfunctional leadership allowing Denny Green to get a bit too clever and outside of his swim lane (which had of course worked great the year before with Moss, so maybe a worthwhile trade off).

@Norseman said:
@Bezerker88 said:
Well son of a Bitch..

In fairness we only saw Treadwell in one camp as he missed a lot of camp last year with an injury IIRC after what sounded like a solid start.

@Bezerker88 said:
@Norseman said:
@Bezerker88 said:
Well son of a Bitch..

In fairness we only saw Treadwell in one camp as he missed a lot of camp last year with an injury IIRC after what sounded like a solid start.
Must be why he set the league a blaze with his 7 starts and 200 yard season.  :p