Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFLDG Mock Draft 2.0
Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"minny65" said:
I read about Goedert's 40 time in another review and I think the source was below.  Don't know what they mean by personal workout or for what team.  Did not know that he didn't run the 40 at combine or Pro Day.  Giesiki ran a 4.54 at the combine.  I wonder why Goedert didn;t run at either opportunity?
Pig skin prospects:
Measurements (* Denotes Pro Day or Personal Workout Numbers):
LISTED HEIGHTLISTED WEIGHTLISTED 40 TIMECOMBINE HEIGHTCOMBINE WEIGHTARM LENGTHHAND SIZE
6'4      250      4.76      6'4        256         34     10

He injured his hamstring at the senior bowl, so he didn't run. It was a new injury so its not like he's had injury issues or anything at SDSU. 
I am very curious what kind of 40 he will run when healthy.  The personal workout number from above is not very good but who knows where that number came from.

But related to speed, watching the highlight tape, he doesn't get separation from LB'ers and most catches are contested and against a lower tier of players.  
Huh? You don't have his straight-line speed numbers but the rest of his workout numbers were around the 80th percentile or above. More specifically his agility grades were unbelievable for a player his size.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"minny65" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"minny65" said:
I read about Goedert's 40 time in another review and I think the source was below.  Don't know what they mean by personal workout or for what team.  Did not know that he didn't run the 40 at combine or Pro Day.  Giesiki ran a 4.54 at the combine.  I wonder why Goedert didn;t run at either opportunity?
Pig skin prospects:
Measurements (* Denotes Pro Day or Personal Workout Numbers):
LISTED HEIGHTLISTED WEIGHTLISTED 40 TIMECOMBINE HEIGHTCOMBINE WEIGHTARM LENGTHHAND SIZE
6'4      250      4.76      6'4        256         34     10

He injured his hamstring at the senior bowl, so he didn't run. It was a new injury so its not like he's had injury issues or anything at SDSU. 
I am very curious what kind of 40 he will run when healthy.  The personal workout number from above is not very good but who knows where that number came from.

But related to speed, watching the highlight tape, he doesn't get separation from LB'ers and most catches are contested and against a lower tier of players.  
Huh? You don't have his straight-line speed numbers but the rest of his workout numbers were around the 80th percentile or above. More specifically his agility grades were unbelievable for a player his size.
Gesicki numbers were unbelievable for his size while the drills Goedert did do were similar to the other Top 3 or 4 guys.  I am interested in his 40/20 yard dash speed because I don't see the separation when I watch the highlights and apparently he hasn't been running the dash.  He pulled lame with the hammy at the Senior Bowl and then the Combine.  Unless we had a private workout where he ran the 40/20 really well I think Gesicki is the #1 TE but still second round.  I am not sold on Goedert obviously.  

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
A little under two weeks from the NFL draft, here is the latest iteration of my mock draft. Enjoy! 

4 (113) via DEN - Dorance Armstrong (DE Kansas): A year ago at this time many would have considered Armstrong a surefire top 100 pick. A significant drop in on-field production during 2017 created some doubters. Armstrong is what the Vikings look for in pass rushers having great length and athleticism. He just hasn't put it all together yet. Some will knock him for his weight but he is a speed rusher at his core and the Vikings haven't held weight against prospects in recent years. The Vikings 2018 pass rushing rotation will still primarily consist of Everson, Danielle, and B-Rob, but Armstrong has the chance to be a situational pass rushing threat from day one. 

Back to Armstrong: nothing against the player, but the Vikings currently have 3 DEs under contract after Griffen/Hunter/Robinson: Stephen Weatherly, Tashawn Bower, and Ifeadi Odenigbo. All three are 23 or 24, all have "great length and athleticism" and haven't "put it all together yet".

So why pick another guy like that? I know many are concerned with DE depth, but if our defensive coaches can't turn any of those specimens into productive players, why would they reach Armstrong?

If we're giving up on Weatherly, Bower, and Odenigbo, we probably need to draft a DE significantly higher, 1st or 2nd round, that's more of a proven product, right? Personally I think they should keep working with the raw material (some or all of those guys) already on the roster...and maybe put one of them on the field and see how they do, especially when a starter is injured.