Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFLDG Mock Draft 2.0
A little under two weeks from the NFL draft, here is the latest iteration of my mock draft. Enjoy! 

1 (30) - Dallas Goedert (TE SDSU): When you're picking 30th in the NFL draft you can only get a vague picture into what will be available until the draft begins. With a chance for a run on O-lineman in the early 20's the Vikings may be best off taking the best player on their board at a position of need. You could pound the table for a pass rusher, corner, or receiving threat. In this instance the Vikings stay local and give Kirk Cousins another threat down the field in Dallas Goedert. Although the draft process hasn't been the hit Goedert had hoped for, you can't teach his combination of size, speed, and ball skills. Goedert is an above the rim player that simply is a mismatch against most corners due to his size and most linebackers due to his speed. That should immediate translate to the NFL game. The Vikings have looked for a true "move TE" for year and John DeFilippo loves to have TE's who can make plays down the field and after the catch. Although drafting a TE this early may be a knock on Kyle Rudolph, it isn't. The both should be able to compliment each other with Rudolph remaining more of an in-line TE between the 20's and receiving threat in the redzone. Goedert makes the Vikings incredibly hard to match up against. 

2 (62) - TRADE 2(62) for 3(71) & 4(113)

3 (71) via DEN - Austin Corbett (OT/OG Nevada): Instead of moving out of the back end of the first round, Spielman is able to trade down roughly 10 spots into the top of the third to pickup a fourth round pick. This is where the team really can find some value along the interior O-line. Ragnow and Corbett are the two names that really come to mind. In this mock I have the Vikings leaning towards Corbett due to his versatility at tackle and guard. Although he is likely a right guard in the NFL it would still give them the flexibility to see how Remmers performs at guard. Corbett is one of the more technically sound players in this draft class and is an all-around talent. What I mean, is that he has a nice combination of technique and athleticism to be successful from day one in the league as he continues to develop. His wrestling background helps with leverage and is a trait the Vikings have valued highly in their O-lineman. Although it's the third round Corbett is a strong bet to be a year one starter, similar to Elflein a year ago. 

3 (94) - Duke Dawson (CB Florida): Find solid cornerback depth is probably more important than finding a day one starter, but don't be surprised if the team addresses the position at the end of the first round on draft day. In this scenario Duke Dawson ends up being the best available corner in the 2nd tier of cornerbacks. Although he won't blow you away with measurable's or athleticism, Dawson has above average instincts and has a very crafty way of getting to the spot before the receiver. This leads him to undercut numerous routes without a major risk taker in coverage. Although his size likely prevents him from rotating regularly on the outside he should be able to compete for time in the slot immediately. If he wins that competition Alexander does have the skills to rotate between all 3 CB positions.  

4 (113) via DEN - Dorance Armstrong (DE Kansas): A year ago at this time many would have considered Armstrong a surefire top 100 pick. A significant drop in on-field production during 2017 created some doubters. Armstrong is what the Vikings look for in pass rushers having great length and athleticism. He just hasn't put it all together yet. Some will knock him for his weight but he is a speed rusher at his core and the Vikings haven't held weight against prospects in recent years. The Vikings 2018 pass rushing rotation will still primarily consist of Everson, Danielle, and B-Rob, but Armstrong has the chance to be a situational pass rushing threat from day one. 

5 (167) - Desmond Harrison (OT West Georgia): As the Vikings have constructed a deeper roster they've seemingly taken more risks on questionable prospects. Harrison definitely falls into that category. As a player, Harrison has been touted as the next big OT since his junior year of high school. His athleticism creates a number of wow plays on tape other players just can't make. But his inconsistencies in pass protection and character concerns will drop him down the board significantly on draft weekend. He isn't a fit with multiple teams due to his finesse stature vs. being your typical bulky lineman. Minnesota probably wouldn't expect much production in year one but he is a very high ceiling developmental prospect who could be kept on the right track in a strong locker room. 

6 (204) - Kendrick Norton (DT Miami): The signing of Sheldon Richardson and the Vikings long-term intentions will be the biggest factor in how early they prioritize the interior defensive line. Although he didn't play a ton in 2017 they still think very highly of Jaleel Johnson and view him as an important rotational piece going into 2018. Although Johnson can lineup as either the UT or NT he would be best served remaining a pass rusher. His heavy hands and ability to get in the backfield while also being a plus player against the run is too valuable. That leads the Vikings to Kendrick Norton. At the combine Norton tested better than many thought, but his upside is limited. He is a run stuffing nose tackle who will make the plays given to him in the backfield. There is a strong chance he could immediately replace Shamar Stephen and give some Vikings stability behind Richardson/Joseph. 

6 (213) - Akrum Wadley (RB Iowa): Once he proves he's healthy, Dalvin Cook is going to dominate the touches in the backfield. You didn't have him very much last season to see how special he can be. Latavius Murray taking a pay cut to remain on the roster for 2018 was also huge. He proved to be a major asset in goal line and short yardage situations a year ago. Wadley bring a bit of a different skill-set to the backfield as a shifty change of pace back and receiving threat. In today's passing league, pass catching backs are overvalued and the only reason Wadley is available this late is his inability to protect the QB on 3rd downs. This will cut into some of his workload immediately but should be correctable over time. The Vikings won't need Wadley much but after this season he could be Chris Thompson lite for Kirk Cousins. 

6 (218) - Quentin Poling (LB Ohio): In recent years the Vikings have prioritized ST's depth in the latter rounds. Poling isn't the most complete LB prospect but has the ability to eventually develop into a WLB over time. His ticket to the NFL will be making the team as a ST's contributor and he would have a good chance to do that on the Vikings roster. 

7 (225) - Jeff Badet (WR Oklahoma): Although there is a good chance Badet will be a priority free agent for most teams his value as a kick returner makes him draftable in the Vikings eyes. Although he is listed at WR he is more of a gadget player who simply makes things happen with the ball in his hands. John DeFilippo had Taylor Gabriel in Cleveland and had success manufacturing touches for Nelson Agholor a year ago. For a 7th round pick, Badet would have a role in the Vikings offense which gives him a decent shot to make the 53 man roster.  

You are the king of deep dives. Austin Corbett doesn't even show up on CBS draft prospects lists. Not a fan of any Iowa RBs, let alone small slower ones. All in all I'd rather trade out of the 1st rd. slide back 5 or 6 and still get a day 1 starter for our O-line like Price, and still pick up a 4th rd. pick rather than lose our second rounder. Of course you need a dance partner.

Thanks for putting this together. Just this morning I was thinking that if we want to recoup that 4th, we might be better off trading back our 2nd rather than our 1st, which is what you did here. But I would do it only if Wynn, Hernandez or McGlinchey were the pick at 30. I like Goeddert, especially his hands, but if we're going to spend a 1st rounder on a TE, I want a Jordan Reed type. I'm not sure Goeddert is that guy. Plus, what impact will he have with Rudolph and Morgan ahead of him. So few rookie TEs make a difference early on. I know we need to think about post-Rudy, but I want immediate impact. A starter. 

I love the 3rd rounders. Dawson appears to be a corner ideally suited for the slot. And I much prefer taking our 4th corner in the 3rd rather than in the 1st as some are advocating. Love Corbett's flexibility to play pretty much anywhere. But I've been seeing things about Corbett that suggest there's little chance he'll still be there in the 3rd.

The rest I don't know much about yet...just haven't had as much time to "draftnik" as I usually do. I've studied only OL and RB so far...a few of the QBs. I will say that I don't like Wadley very much. He's very small and not that fast either. My favorite backs for us are Nyheim Hines whom you'll have to take no later than the 4th. And Rashaad Penny, who won't get past the 3rd. 

Really nice picks Geoff. I was really wondering what your board would look like. I hope the front office is leaning the same direction.

As much as I love O-line...I Love the sound of a good TE early..

Where we going with the ball?  Cook? Diggs? Theilen, New Wright?, Rudy? New TE?

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Thanks for putting this together. Just this morning I was thinking that if we want to recoup that 4th, we might be better off trading back our 2nd rather than our 1st, which is what you did here. But I would do it only if Wynn, Hernandez or McGlinchey were the pick at 30. I like Goeddert, especially his hands, but if we're going to spend a 1st rounder on a TE, I want a Jordan Reed type. I'm not sure Goeddert is that guy. Plus, what impact will he have with Rudolph and Morgan ahead of him. So few rookie TEs make a difference early on. I know we need to think about post-Rudy, but I want immediate impact. A starter. 

I love the 3rd rounders. Dawson appears to be a corner ideally suited for the slot. And I much prefer taking our 4th corner in the 3rd rather than in the 1st as some are advocating. Love Corbett's flexibility to play pretty much anywhere. But I've been seeing things about Corbett that suggest there's little chance he'll still be there in the 3rd.

The rest I don't know much about yet...just haven't had as much time to "draftnik" as I usually do. I've studied only OL and RB so far...a few of the QBs. I will say that I don't like Wadley very much. He's very small and not that fast either. My favorite backs for us are Nyheim Hines whom you'll have to take no later than the 4th. And Rashaad Penny, who won't get past the 3rd. 
Goedert would immediately be the #2 TE and would be pushing Rudy pretty quickly.  The kid is for real,  if he had come from a bigger HS in a different part of the country he would have been playing for a much bigger college and he wouldnt even be questioned as to being worthy of #30.  Lots of room for improvement as I doubt he got half the position coaching at SDSU as what kids in much bigger programs receive.  I could be wrong,  but I think he is going to be one of those guys that is a Witten type.  Not overly flashy, but puts up great numbers for a lot of years.

Goedert doesn't have to start to have an impact, Maroon. 

It's about having a diverse set of weapons to keep the Defense off balance. The Eagles used what, 4 WRs, 3 TEs and 3 RBs in the NFCCG. And while Celek and Hollins didn't get targeted that particular game their presence still gave Zimmer something to think about.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:

Maybe I'm hopelessly optimistic Corbett ends up being there, but the Denver pick would be at the top of the 3rd. Interior lineman tend to slide a bit every year. Last year it was Elflein, the year before it was Whitehair. So whether it is him or Ragnow there may end up being a lot of value at the 2nd/3rd round turn. But I agree that if Wynn is on the board at #30 he is likely the pick.

I ended up going Goedert since he is the best TE in the class (my opinion) and he is the most well rounded. I like Gesicki but if you want a pure move TE with no other upside you are better off taking Andrews in the 3rd. I like Nyheim Hines a lot, but don't know if the value ends up being there for the Vikings. He is an electric returner but he isn't going to get many snaps over Cook/Murray. But if they have a specific plan on how they want to use him as a more versatile weapon I'd be completely on board with it. Not a huge fan of Penny. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:

Goedert would immediately be the #2 TE and would be pushing Rudy pretty quickly.  The kid is for real,  if he had come from a bigger HS in a different part of the country he would have been playing for a much bigger college and he wouldnt even be questioned as to being worthy of #30.  Lots of room for improvement as I doubt he got half the position coaching at SDSU as what kids in much bigger programs receive.  I could be wrong,  but I think he is going to be one of those guys that is a Witten type.  Not overly flashy, but puts up great numbers for a lot of years.
I think that Goedert & Rudy are unique enough that they wouldn't necessarily be fighting for the same job. But I agree that there is probably some hidden upsides with DG since he hasn't had the same facilities, trainers, etc... as his power conference peers. Of course you're assuming he'd use all of the resources he'd be given, but most coaches/scouts like how hard of a worker he it.  

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:

I think that Goedert & Rudy are unique enough that they wouldn't necessarily be fighting for the same job. But I agree that there is probably some hidden upsides with DG since he hasn't had the same facilities, trainers, etc... as his power conference peers. Of course you're assuming he'd use all of the resources he'd be given, but most coaches/scouts like how hard of a worker he it.  
Right now if Diggs or Thielen go down the Vikes chances of moving deep into the playoffs go down with them.  Goedert seems like a good measure to minimize that issue and would be a big red zone threat the Vikes need. The guy reminds me of Greg Olson.

Watch DG’s highlights he seems like a guy would they could move around anywhere to create mismatches and nightmares for opposing coordinators. Both Thielen and Diggs like to play slot and Goedert is a guy they can move to the outside at times.