Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CAP Savings - Murray, Wright, BRob?
now serriously. what i dont understand last year was after griffens foot injury. why didnt brob play more snaps?  

im also not a fan of cutting an 11 yr veteran to save $1m. Its one thing if we’re nuts on a nat tight in money but it sounds like weve got a little bretheing room no?

Quote: @RushmoreVike said:
Age is a number,  it's meaning is different for every player.  Brian hasn't shown any major issues and is the defensive leader.  The  league has plenty of examples of players going into their mid to late 30s at a high level.  Today's diet and training regimens are significantly better than those of even 15 years ago.  

Not to mention that Brian  was a freak athlete when we drafted him and is still pretty damn impressive.  Losing Brian would be a big loss to our defense with no heir apparent.
Great post. 

Damn.  I read us talk about Case, Jarius and Brian.  And so much of the talk doesn't seem to  consider intangibles. "Just numbers". 

Unless B-Rob wants to be a coach this yr... I'd pay him his due this last year.  $3.2 mil.  
How often does a player sign team penultimately-friendly deals?  

He can still play, and he's a bargain.  Honor the man.    

HYATT (GB fan) gave the most eloquent support for FA B-Rob, back a few years. It was internet gold., 

I can't match HYATT's #'s  knowledge. 

But I remember what Vikes player chased Diggs down the sideline, a few months ago.  B-Rob.  
(Intangibles, were part of HYATT's previous begging, as well)

Watch the sidelines:  

@ the 1:10 thru 1:13 moments.  There was one Vike running down the sidelines, with Diggs during the Minnesota Miracle.  B-Rob.  Check it, tape don't lie. 

As a coach, he (B-Rob) plays as long as he wants to play.  

I think GB may have been in pursuit of Brob at one time. And I do recall the piece from Hyatt too from PT.

Like Geoff points out, first we'll need to wait and see what Brian decides to do after 11 seasons. He might very well pivot and put more time into fishing and family. Probably has been wise with the $ and frankly doesnt have to work if he doesnt want to anymore. 

He's one of the long-timers here who I would have liked to have seen win the big one before hanging-up the cleats. KW was another one. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I think GB may have been in pursuit of Brob at one time. And I do recall the piece from Hyatt too from PT.

Like Geoff points out, first we'll need to wait and see what Brian decides to do after 11 seasons. He might very well pivot and put more time into fishing and family. Probably has been wise with the $ and frankly doesnt have to work if he doesnt want to anymore. 

He's one of the long-timers here who I would have liked to have seen win the big one before hanging-up the cleats. KW was another one. 
Brian wants to play,  he said two years ago that he wanted 2 more years,  and when he redid his deal last year it was so that he would be able to play out his contract with Minnesota.  Think of it this way,  if Brian wasnt interested in playing another year for the Vikes... would Pops be posting in the manner that he is?   Brians stated career goal has been to bring a Lombardi to Minny,  now that the team is so close,  does anybody actually think he wouldnt want to play out his deal and make one last herculean effort to realize both his career goals in the final season of his career?

# Pay that man his money!

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

OK, wait a minute: you think he has saved his money and doesn't need to work (meaning "doesn't need to earn more".) He wants to remain a Viking. He loves to play and wants to stay in Minnesota another year and hope we can win a SB.
So...why would he leave in a huff because the team he wants to stay with wants to pay him "only" somewhere between a million to two million dollars for another season? Especially if the people running that team feel the cap money saved would improve the chances to win that desired championship??
This is ONLY about player pride and ego, something like, "I'm just the 5th-highest defensive lineman on the team now". If it's about how Kirk Cousins can buy 20 yachts and Robison can only buy 3...who cares??
Some of you are complaining about "the business side of the NFL". Hey, there are adult amateur football leagues that would be glad to have Brian Robison and would let him play until he's 50 if he wants, with no "business side"! Oh, are these players saying that they LIKE how the NFL has turned into a hugely-popular entertainment empire that makes them multimillionaires as well as celebrities with other financial opportunities like endorsements? Hmm, I wonder if that would be the case without "the business side"...?
The Vikings have paid Brian Robison $42 Million over the last 10 years. He was a very good NFL defensive end, but not really a great one, so that's pretty damn good career earnings. Loyalty should swings both ways, shouldn't it?
If he hasn't wasted it, he never has to work again, maybe his kids don't, and he sure shouldn't have to worry about things like bridging medical coverage to medicare or whether his dad's house might be taken away to pay for care in a seniors' home. Now the team might, allegedly, suggest he play for less than $3.2M. Maybe a million dollars to play football on a team with a good shot to win a championship. Aren't there about 10 million men in this country who would play for free? And many people would do shocking things if they were offered a chance for a million dollars EVER in their lifetimes.
I don't begrudge these players their earnings; they are ALL overpaid, but it's a fantasy economy. I really tire of their whining, though.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@purplefaithful said:

OK, wait a minute: you think he has saved his money and doesn't need to work (meaning "doesn't need to earn more".) He wants to remain a Viking. He loves to play and wants to stay in Minnesota another year and hope we can win a SB.
So...why would he leave in a huff because the team he wants to stay with wants to pay him "only" somewhere between a million to two million dollars for another season? Especially if the people running that team feel the cap money saved would improve the chances to win that desired championship??
This is ONLY about player pride and ego, something like, "I'm just the 5th-highest defensive lineman on the team now". If it's about how Kirk Cousins can buy 20 yachts and Robison can only buy 3...who cares??
Some of you are complaining about "the business side of the NFL". Hey, there are adult amateur football leagues that would be glad to have Brian Robison and would let him play until he's 50 if he wants, with no "business side"! Oh, are these players saying that they LIKE how the NFL has turned into a hugely-popular entertainment empire that makes them multimillionaires as well as celebrities with other financial opportunities like endorsements? Hmm, I wonder if that would be the case without "the business side"...?
The Vikings have paid Brian Robison $42 Million over the last 10 years. He was a very good NFL defensive end, but not really a great one, so that's pretty damn good career earnings. Loyalty should swings both ways, shouldn't it?
If he hasn't wasted it, he never has to work again, maybe his kids don't, and he sure shouldn't have to worry about things like bridging medical coverage to medicare or whether his dad's house might be taken away to pay for care in a seniors' home. Now the team might, allegedly, suggest he play for less than $3.2M. Maybe a million dollars to play football on a team with a good shot to win a championship. Aren't there about 10 million men in this country who would play for free? And many people would do shocking things if they were offered a chance for a million dollars EVER in their lifetimes.
I don't begrudge these players their earnings; they are ALL overpaid, but it's a fantasy economy. I really tire of their whining, though.

what you see as whining,  I see as them getting what they deserve.   they are the NFL,  they are product.  The owners and goodell know that the league wouldnt survive if they didnt have the best of the best playing in their league and the players know this too.  they players see the growth on the league side and want their share.  as far as Brians individual performance over the last 10 years... he has been one of the best LDE in the leauge,  sure the huge sack numbers arent there,  but others have feasted off the pressure he created.  ( i think many that over look Brians contributions do so without remembering that 95% of the time the QB can see him coming.  Brians ability to get consistent pressure and not become a liability in run support has been a huge key to our defensive success and his contributions have continued with his reduced role as he basically becomes Zimmers right hand man on the field in those situations that he plays in which were quite a bit based on the number of snaps he got last year.

Brian has earned every penny he has coming,  rick needs to pay him.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@purplefaithful said:

So the Viking and Brian mutualy agree to a new deal last year to a more team friendly deal and Brian delivers more then what was asked and for that he should give up even more this year?  Deal/contracts are two way streets. Pay the man. 

Looks like Wright is about to sign with the Panthers.

You think the CEOs in this country deserve the  tens of millions they make every year?  you think Goodell deserves the $40M or more he makes every year?  Brian has already taken one for the team. And unlike the suits he is risking life and limb every week.  The Vikings honored Jared Allen’s contract to the end.  Robison is owed that too.  and I would say this whether Pops was on this board or not.  Or whether he had posted or not.

Vikings signed the deal.. dont reneg now. PAY THE MAN!