Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Case For and Against Tagging Keenum
Quote: @FSUVike said:
Cousins will get money he can't refuse from either the Jets or Broncos.

Minnesota will sign Case to a multi-year deal with an early out. He will regress into what I'm going to call Andy Dalton 2.0, good enough to get to the Playoffs, not good enough to get to the Super Bowl.

In a few years Minnesota will be looking to Draft a QB to compete with Sloter, who hasn't developed as much as the team would like.

If you look in your heart you know that this is the most likely outcome. And as Vikings fans we should be used to it by now but it will hurt any way. Sad
I wish I could argue with this rationale, but how can you really if you're being honest as a Viking's fan? Odds are this team won't maximize its potential because of weakness at QB and it will turn problematic in the near future. Sigh. I mean, I see options with these 3 but any great ones? Nope.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@FSUVike said:

Minnesota will sign Case to a multi-year deal with an early out. He will regress into what I'm going to call Andy Dalton 2.0, good enough to get to the Playoffs, not good enough to get to the Super Bowl.

In a few years Minnesota will be looking to Draft a QB to compete with Sloter, who hasn't developed as much as the team would like.

If you look in your heart you know that this is the most likely outcome. And as Vikings fans we should be used to it by now but it will hurt any way. Sad
I wish I could argue with this rationale, but how can you really if you're being honest as a Viking's fan? Odds are this team won't maximize its potential because of weakness at QB and it will turn problematic in the near future. Sigh. I mean, I see options with these 3 but any great ones? Nope.
If the front office believes Cousins can get them over the top, more so than Keenum and without detriment to signing young talent, they'd damn well better do it. This is exactly the situation I am sick and tired of after all these decades of no SB trophies. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@StickyBun said:
@FSUVike said:

If the front office believes Cousins can get them over the top, more so than Keenum and without detriment to signing young talent, they'd damn well better do it. This is exactly the situation I am sick and tired of after all these decades of no SB trophies. 
I agree in theory, pf....if they like Cousins, if they feel strongly internally about him then $%^&ing for it. I just think that teams like the Jets, Browns and Broncos are going to send his contract into orbit. And contrary to what is rumored that Cousins said, he's not turning down a shit ton of $$$$ from the Jets or Browns. He just won't do it and I wouldn't blame him. I'm sure if he had his preference with all things being equal, he'd choose Minnesota. 

I think the Vikings are going to go the easy and safe route with this. Its weird: as fun as last season was, I have this sense that the Vikings are going to take a step back this upcoming season.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Norse said:
The reality is Teddy can not make the majority of the intermediate-deep throws that Sam made against the Saints, and has never produced the results we saw from Keenum this season. Add in the knee injury and I just can't put my trust in him as THE guy. After being out of football for 2 years.
As someone mentioned don't count Sam out, if that cleanup of his knee fixed the problem.
Reality is you are passing judgement on a kid who was only entering his 3rd year,  had made improvements in each of his ford 2 years, and from all accounts was looking to make a big leap into that 3rd year.  Reality is you don't know what Teddy can or cannot do at this point.  The coaches know,  and they've said he is looking very good,  his teammates know and they say the same,  but you want to create your own version of "reality"?

I am actually to the point of hoping he does get to move on,  because so many fans here are expecting him to fail that no matter how good he would play it would never be good  enough.   So many people are getting so invested in the notion of him being unable to improve on what we saw in 15 or that his leg is going to fall off that he will never be able to convince them otherwise.
If the front office were as high on TB as you are we wouldn't be having this discussion.  They'd have already signed a deal to make him their guy for 2018.   

But the reality looks like a lot more like they are hoping to toll him while they come up with a different plan and keep him in reserve.   Honestly if there is an injured Viking qb who when healthy can produce at franchise level it's Bradford, not Teddy.  If you want to roll the dice on a bum knee roll it on Sam's, the upside if it works is a lot higher.

The team has a brief window of opportunity here and a franchise level qb can get them to the promised land.  It's a hare-brained gamble to say Teddy, Sloter and some 3rd guy is your plan after your 13-3 NFCC run.    Is the franchise serious about winning a SB or are they just dicking around smoking hopium like fans?   What happens if they go with this plan and TB can't cut it?  Oh well, start over and waste the few years long window of opportunity that is here NOW.   But hey we saved money... hurray money!   Sorry no SB but you fans should feel good cuz we saved MONEY!  

@Norse said:
I dont think its worth chancing next season to see if Teddy can get it done or not.The time to strike is now. 
and i think that Case is the worst option of the bunch to try and develop a stronger offense.  his limited arm and tendencies to lock onto receivers makes him a liability that cant be over come with better blocking.   I hate to sound like I think he is complete shit,  but of the 3 he gives me the most pause in terms of elevating the offense.  I think he is a quality back up or short term starter,  but as  far as giving the league another year of taking away the out routes and jamming Diggs and Theilen or using bracket coverages to force him into holding the ball and or making overly contested throws,  that is the chance I dont see worth taking.

if the team isnt going to go the economical route  and try and get at least one good QB out of the 2 lower cost prospects in Sam and Teddy,  then they should go all out for Cousins.  why go middle of the road?  Do you honestly think that Case has more game than what we saw this year?  I dont see his arm getting stronger,  nor do I think he will suddenly start to see the entire field and use his eyes to move defenders.  he is a school yard QB and that is great for a while,  but his short comings are becoming more apparent to  opposing defensive coordinators.  
I don't think that Case would have a worst season with a better line and Cook back.
Case took us 1 game away from the Super Bowl last season. When was the last time that happen? Add Flip who might or could be a better OC than Shurmur. I think he would have a good season.
How many teams that get to NFC title game ditch their QB the following year...Only the Vikings.
It wouldn't hurt my feelings if Case took the money and moved on to another team. At least he would be appreciated.

Whoever the QB is this year if we don't make it to the NFC title game then it's a failure. 

Quote: @Poiple said:
with all of the case criticism you would think he lead us to a 7-9 season.  smh....

Again with the "led" the team to 13-3?  He was a part of the team.  But everyone (without an agenda) knows that the defense was our strongest link.  If anyone, THEY led us to 13-3.
But, of course, I wouldn't be so myopic as to say that any one person- or even side of the ball- was responsible for our successful REGULAR season.  

You see, Poiple, the problem with giving Case credit for 13-3... means that you also have to "credit" him with our lack of success in the NFCCG.  And if that's really who he is, why would we want him back?

Whoever ends up being the pick will benefit a great deal from the return of DC. Our running game is going to get a shot in the arm and that's a definite plus for any of the choices we have in front of us. I think we need to continue to shore up the O-line to protect said guy and block better for Dalvin.
I'm very hopeful that the addition of DeFilippo will really build upon what Shurmur did here. I'm SO GLAD we didn't end up with Bevell 2.0.

Quote: @FSUVike said:

[Image: 87e3c0759d5817dc43b17e3e33b94daa.jpg]

Show me a list of players that have dislocated their knee.  I van only think of a handful and know of 1 that came back,  but they were WRs and RBs which are much more physically demanding positions on the knee.

Teddy was a kid when he was drafted, and was only beginning to mature when he got hurt.  I think any issues that we had with his arm were going to be laid to rest as he matured and the Vikings put a decent line in front of him and gave him some quality targets and decent play calling.   All things Case had the advantages of when people want to make comparisons.

If he was a running QB I could understand the concern of his knee holding up,  but he isnt so I think if the coaches are happy with where he is at in relation to 2016 and his mobility is on par with then,  no reason not to give him a shot.
This is a quote from Zimmer.
Vikings 
"We researched Teddy's injury, there were 24 of these similar types of injuries through all sports. half of them never came back, and I think the earliest any of them came back was 24 months"Do you franchise a quarterback with an injury which history has shown only half of them ever being able to play again?

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@purplefaithful said:
@StickyBun said:
@FSUVike said:

I agree in theory, pf....if they like Cousins, if they feel strongly internally about him then $%^&ing for it. I just think that teams like the Jets, Browns and Broncos are going to send his contract into orbit. And contrary to what is rumored that Cousins said, he's not turning down a shit ton of $$$$ from the Jets or Browns. He just won't do it and I wouldn't blame him. I'm sure if he had his preference with all things being equal, he'd choose Minnesota. 

I think the Vikings are going to go the easy and safe route with this. Its weird: as fun as last season was, I have this sense that the Vikings are going to take a step back this upcoming season.
I mean, no team in NFL history has improved after going 13-3 in the previous season. So you aren't exactly going out on a limb there Wink