Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings #1 on Cousins list
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
As much emphasis as this team has put into building a dominant defense it will be hard to maintain what we've got when we are drafting at the back end of every round and paying 20% of our cap to one player that isn't a top tier player.  25 to 30 million is to much for cousins...I don't care what the cap is going to be,  I don't care what his numbers say,  the guy isn't clutch and he doesn't improve the position that much over what a keenum, sam, or Teddy could likely do for significantly less money.  If others are sold that's fine,  but I don't see it.

As far as Brez being able to work his cap magic,  how much of that magic is built on rarely having to pay a QB a franchise type contract?  If he gets saddled with a 25 to 30 million dollar a year contract with a bunch of 8 to 12 million dollar guys on D,  somethings got to give.  Personally I woukd rather see more money/picks  put into the O line and build an offense that doesn't require a 30 million dollar QB to run it.  
Good points.  But, 25 mil is 14% of 178 mil.  Not 20%.  30 mil is 16.9%.  22 mil is 12.4%.  20 mil is 11.2%.

I do not know what Keenum, Sam, or Teddy will command in a new salary but I am guessing Keenum could be close to 20 mil.

The other two, because of their knees, are likely to get less.

Last year the Vikings spent 22 mil on 4 QBs so Brez was able to fit that into the cap and that was 13.2%.

Each year the cap could go up too.

I think Cousins has proven himself and only has 3 years starting and likely is going to get better the more he plays.

Our current 3 QBs could too but there are more concerns with them.

if we attempt to toll bridgewater he will leave via FA whenever that is for him. 

im in the try for cousins or resign sam camp. 

@MaroonBells said:
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I really haven't studied Cousins. He's put up some pretty remarkable numbers considering his supporting cast. In ours, he just might be elite. Color me undecided until further notice. I will say this, though. I'd rather have Cousins at 30M than Case at 20M. Actually, the term is what's more important to me. I don't want to commit to Case long term. The money involved is secondary. 
hes had decent receivers over his tenure in DC,  maybe not as much this year, but there have been some decent targets for him in the past.  somebody ran down a list the other day and it was more than the trash that some try to make it sound like he's played with.

So wait... you DONT like Cousins? couldnt tell from your last 100 posts.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
if we attempt to toll bridgewater he will leave via FA whenever that is for him. 

im in the try for cousins or resign sam camp. 
Yeah, trying to toll him would be an incredibly stupid hill for the front office to die on. I get not wanting to commit to him when there were a ton of unknowns about his health, but I still think they would have been better off picking up his 5th year option and at least had someone locked down for this year. Now, I think we need to work out a reasonable short term contract and bring in another QB to compete. Regardless of who our QB is, we need depth.

Quote: @golfervike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I really haven't studied Cousins. He's put up some pretty remarkable numbers considering his supporting cast. In ours, he just might be elite. Color me undecided until further notice. I will say this, though. I'd rather have Cousins at 30M than Case at 20M. Actually, the term is what's more important to me. I don't want to commit to Case long term. The money involved is secondary. 
hes had decent receivers over his tenure in DC,  maybe not as much this year, but there have been some decent targets for him in the past.  somebody ran down a list the other day and it was more than the trash that some try to make it sound like he's played with.

The ignore feature works if you don't like what I have to say... otherwise fuck off.

@golfervike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:

The ignore feature works if you don't like what I have to say... otherwise fuck off.

lol ok toolbag you keep doing go. just trust your gut, unless you say stats matter more, i cant keep up with your line of thinking. 

This brings up an important point in the Vikings QB situation - they don't have to overpay.  We have a new stadium,  a team that just went to the NFC championship, and young receivers.  While there is cap space to overpay, it's really not necessary. 

Washington didn't dump Cousins, he dumped them.   Why did he reject their offer?  Because Dan Snyder is the worst owner in the NFL by a country mile (sorry Zygmunt, you're still #2 you little bastard.  Bring back the t.o.a. and maybe you can be #1 again!).   

Cousins can see the futility of trying to win in Washington where Snyder has been fucking things up for 20 years now.   He wants to go to a winner so the rumor that he named the Vikings a prime landing spot isn't far-fetched, though you have to presume that anything said on the subject at this time of year is agents trying to manipulate the market.

Quote: @Steve said:
This brings up an important point in the Vikings QB situation - they don't have to overpay.  We have a new stadium,  a team that just went to the NFC championship, and young receivers.  While there is cap space to overpay, it's really not necessary. 
This is what scares me and I hope the team is not buying into this belief.

I believe last year was an anomaly in terms of lower level, less experienced QBs making it to the Championship games.

How many times has this happened in the past?

To think that it could happen again is really a gambler's attitude IMHO.

the Vikings have to solve the QB situation.  if wenhave a chance to get a franchise QB you must go for it.  the consistant contenders all have a franchise QB.