Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One QB in the Hand is Worth Two In the Bush
Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I still question Case's arm strength,   as much success as he is having IMO a strong arm is key component at times for a long term successful QB.  I see the Vikes hand getting forced on this deal and this years squad having enough success to force Ricks hand and signing Case long term thusly losing Teddy and the whole thing going to shit next fall.  Teddys arm isnt super stong either,  but he has more zip than Case has shown and I think Teddy is young enough to still get stronger while I think Case is what Case will be.  I agree that Case will be serviceable in the right O,  but I doubt we are able to retain Shurmur unless we win the whole damn thing... and then only likely for 1 year.

#glasshalffull.
Lol, love the hashtag...

Arm strength, cinderella, system qb, doesn't make second reads, gunslinger, OC dependent, too short, etc, etc, etc,

At some point we either put our faith in the guy or not. We believe that what we're seeing is extendable over time or not. We have the belief that more improvement is possible or not. 

That time isn't now, cause he's the clear starter this season. But unless something really crazy unfolds the next 8 weeks, the offseason @ QB is going to be a doozy - or maybe not. 

Short term faith,  long term concern.

I think each QB would want something different in terms of contracts.  Teddy I think would want a shorter term 2-3 year contract in the 10-12 million range, while Case may desire a longer term 5 year deal, starting around 15 mil.  This may be Case's last shot a big payday. (Big being compared to his past earnings) With basically 1 year of good-great play, I don't think it's enough to get him into the 20 mil contract range, even if he does bring us to the SB.  It may get him to the high teens but no more.    

Hypothetically, IF those numbers are even close, the Vikings could sign both players.  Fans have discussed getting Breez or Cousins or some other vet mercenary in here, to get us over the top.  Those guys are going to cost $25mil/per and then you'll also have to pay a vet backup at least a couple million.  Either way the dollars work out about the same or close to it.  I'm 100% sure neither QB wants to be a backup, so this would take some convincing on the Vikes behalf.  BUT if you could work it out, you know there would be trade offers coming.  Especially after/during the pre-season.  The teams inquiring would be looking for a starting QB to lead their team.  The contracts would be reasonable enough for almost every team inquiring, that they could afford either one.  And the Vikings would then get the benefit of getting picks and more room with the cap for their efforts.  Neither BW or Case are going to be looking at working their contracts to benefit the team expressly, but if we give them fair offers and get them the guarantee money that makes them happy, it may work out for all involved.  Especially for BW.  I think the Vikings would offer him more than anyone else.

It's a long shot, but I think it's possible.  

I think it's a long-shot too Aiibs. I would be floored, absolutely floored if the Vikings ended-up with Case and Bridgewater at TC in Eagan this summer. There can be scenarios where it might sniff making sense, but then at what expense to signing other players? Like Barr? Kendricks? 

If I had my druthers? I'd prioritize Shurmur lol!