Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you give a 2nd rounder for Fields?
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@CFIAvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@CFIAvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
I'm not sure if the real question is will they sell tix or not.

I think the question is more of who the hell is going to get excited about a team qb'd by a gordon minshew or a washed-up Wilson?

Not me - I went to maybe 1 home game after Cousins left the building. That kind of fan malaise will eventually have an impact. 

I would be more interested in seeing what our O would look like with a revamped interior OL and a couple of Dlinemen that can stuff the run as well as push the pocket on pass plays.  We have plenty of tape on what our team looks like the way it has been built for the last 6 years,  good enough but not good enough.  We are not 1 QB away as was thought to be the case when they signed Cousins,  infact I would say we are further from the elite in the NFC now than we were then given the weaknesses on both sides of the ball.  not sure how much more proof people need than the last 6 years of futility. 

think about it we were one game away from the superbowl,  the consensus among most fans was it was the QB that was holding us back and Cousins would bridge that gap... since then 1 damn playoff win in 6 years,  depleted roster,  and we are arguing over running that back with a guy coming back from a lower body injury that will leave him less mobile (if thats even possible),  another year older,  and typing up what will end up being a very large chunk of cap space either this year,  or for the next several years once again,  including once hes gone most likely.

Damn,  at what point do you just rip off that band aid?
That's fine if you're interested in watching/supporting a rebuilding team that has no chance of current success, but that's not going to be most fans.  I'm all for setting up for the future, but if you wanna see the team "rip off the bandaid" then I'd be all-in if I were you.  Dump Cousins, Trade Jefferson for as much as you can get, sign Hunter and Darrisaw as you're building from the lines out, and pray you find a championship caliber QB by the time Addison's contract comes up.  Otherwise when you swing and miss on this years second tier crop of QBs, you can also trade him before he becomes malcontent as well.  

Great receivers are absolutely pointless to shitty QBs.  I'm not saying we don't want decent ones, but great ones that command a huge salary are pointless without a good/great QB to get them the ball.  If you're all for getting on the shitty QB carousel, then we have no reason to pay/keep Jefferson (because after a few years of Minshew/Tannehill/project QBs, he WILL demand to be traded).
thats not a very sound take,  great receivers, like JJ, are great because they are able to get separation and dont require a great QB to get them the ball ( bigger window,  less accuracy required )  they are great because they have to body control and hand eye coordination to make catches on passes that arent right on the money,  hell if you have a young QB or a lesser passer, then you absolutely want to have better receivers to help the kid develop. 

and as far as what the future holds... please, if you had a crystal ball you wouldnt be wasting you time on here.

hell you might as well watch reruns if you find mediocrity entertaining, Kirk has shown he can deliver that year in and year out.
So, let me get this straight.....you want to devote $30 mil a year to a WR when we don't have a good QB to get him the ball?  Aren't you the one saying we have SO MANY holes to fix, that we can't allocate that kind of money to one player? That is a LOT of money to invest in a WR with no observable QB to possibly lead you anywhere.  All I'm saying is you can't have both uncertainty at the QB position and a Hall of Fame caliber WR for very long.  You either have to get EXTREMELY lucky and happen upon a championship caliber signal caller and figure it out within one season, or you kiss all of your skill position assets goodbye.  

In the NFL, if you don't have a good/great QB, you don't compete.  In the last 17 years there have been 2 "sub standard" QBs to even reach the Super Bowl, Nick Foles and Rex Grossman. 
he dont need a good QB to get him the ball,  he makes the QB look better than he is. ( see the buffalo catch 2 years ago )  Kirks money as well as Hitmans and getting rid of bad players should bring the roster up fairly quickly, especially if they dont trade away all their day 1 and 2 picks moving up for a blue chip and role the dice with a 2nd tier rookie who is about just as likely to turn out as the first 3.   If you miss on the QB this year,  you have JJ  on a decent deal since its still part of his rookie contract and you can trade him somewhere in a year or two if he truly wants out and use those resources to try again.    or just do it your way... mediocrity for 2 more years of Kirk, little to no improvements made due to continued cap issues,  and oh yeah,  when he does finally walk away,  you have more dead cap rolling onto that next year,  just like this year so you wont be able to afford shit then either.

that date with the russian roullette revolver is coming soon regardless,  Kirk is not likely going to be better coming back from injury and another year older, odds are probably just as good as hitting on that rookie QB,  but either way the team will be needing a new face at the position within the near future,  delaying that offers very little upside.
Jesus dude….we all get it. You hate Kirk, think he’s incompetent and is incapable of quarterbacking a Super Bowl winning team. I mean you’re dead wrong, but to each their own. 

You do realize THIS is the last year of Jefferson’s rookie contract. Essentially the Vikings have to hit on a pro bowl quarterback (Which will be much harder out of the second tier), and understand he’s that good by the trade deadline this year. Otherwise Jefferson could just decide to test the free agent waters, wait for a team to back up the Brinks truck, and tell us to kick rocks.

Also regardless of whether Kirk is on the team or not, the cap situation drastically improves In 2025. In fact we have so few players with guaranteed money on the cap that year, you could eat all of Kirks dead money that year and still have plenty of room to sign free agents.  

whether you want to admit it or not, it’s gonna be way easier to lock up Jefferson, long-term with Kirk quarterbacking a couple more years while we look for his eventual replacement.

… Or we could go your route, rip the Band-Aid off, start a dart throw of a quarterback. and Waste all the talent we have at wide receiver currently on this team. 

Quote: @CFIAvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@CFIAvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@CFIAvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:

I think the question is more of who the hell is going to get excited about a team qb'd by a gordon minshew or a washed-up Wilson?

Not me - I went to maybe 1 home game after Cousins left the building. That kind of fan malaise will eventually have an impact. 

I would be more interested in seeing what our O would look like with a revamped interior OL and a couple of Dlinemen that can stuff the run as well as push the pocket on pass plays.  We have plenty of tape on what our team looks like the way it has been built for the last 6 years,  good enough but not good enough.  We are not 1 QB away as was thought to be the case when they signed Cousins,  infact I would say we are further from the elite in the NFC now than we were then given the weaknesses on both sides of the ball.  not sure how much more proof people need than the last 6 years of futility. 

think about it we were one game away from the superbowl,  the consensus among most fans was it was the QB that was holding us back and Cousins would bridge that gap... since then 1 damn playoff win in 6 years,  depleted roster,  and we are arguing over running that back with a guy coming back from a lower body injury that will leave him less mobile (if thats even possible),  another year older,  and typing up what will end up being a very large chunk of cap space either this year,  or for the next several years once again,  including once hes gone most likely.

That's fine if you're interested in watching/supporting a rebuilding team that has no chance of current success, but that's not going to be most fans.  I'm all for setting up for the future, but if you wanna see the team "rip off the bandaid" then I'd be all-in if I were you.  Dump Cousins, Trade Jefferson for as much as you can get, sign Hunter and Darrisaw as you're building from the lines out, and pray you find a championship caliber QB by the time Addison's contract comes up.  Otherwise when you swing and miss on this years second tier crop of QBs, you can also trade him before he becomes malcontent as well.  

Great receivers are absolutely pointless to shitty QBs.  I'm not saying we don't want decent ones, but great ones that command a huge salary are pointless without a good/great QB to get them the ball.  If you're all for getting on the shitty QB carousel, then we have no reason to pay/keep Jefferson (because after a few years of Minshew/Tannehill/project QBs, he WILL demand to be traded).
thats not a very sound take,  great receivers, like JJ, are great because they are able to get separation and dont require a great QB to get them the ball ( bigger window,  less accuracy required )  they are great because they have to body control and hand eye coordination to make catches on passes that arent right on the money,  hell if you have a young QB or a lesser passer, then you absolutely want to have better receivers to help the kid develop. 

and as far as what the future holds... please, if you had a crystal ball you wouldnt be wasting you time on here.

hell you might as well watch reruns if you find mediocrity entertaining, Kirk has shown he can deliver that year in and year out.
So, let me get this straight.....you want to devote $30 mil a year to a WR when we don't have a good QB to get him the ball?  Aren't you the one saying we have SO MANY holes to fix, that we can't allocate that kind of money to one player? That is a LOT of money to invest in a WR with no observable QB to possibly lead you anywhere.  All I'm saying is you can't have both uncertainty at the QB position and a Hall of Fame caliber WR for very long.  You either have to get EXTREMELY lucky and happen upon a championship caliber signal caller and figure it out within one season, or you kiss all of your skill position assets goodbye.  

In the NFL, if you don't have a good/great QB, you don't compete.  In the last 17 years there have been 2 "sub standard" QBs to even reach the Super Bowl, Nick Foles and Rex Grossman. 
he dont need a good QB to get him the ball,  he makes the QB look better than he is. ( see the buffalo catch 2 years ago )  Kirks money as well as Hitmans and getting rid of bad players should bring the roster up fairly quickly, especially if they dont trade away all their day 1 and 2 picks moving up for a blue chip and role the dice with a 2nd tier rookie who is about just as likely to turn out as the first 3.   If you miss on the QB this year,  you have JJ  on a decent deal since its still part of his rookie contract and you can trade him somewhere in a year or two if he truly wants out and use those resources to try again.    or just do it your way... mediocrity for 2 more years of Kirk, little to no improvements made due to continued cap issues,  and oh yeah,  when he does finally walk away,  you have more dead cap rolling onto that next year,  just like this year so you wont be able to afford shit then either.

that date with the russian roullette revolver is coming soon regardless,  Kirk is not likely going to be better coming back from injury and another year older, odds are probably just as good as hitting on that rookie QB,  but either way the team will be needing a new face at the position within the near future,  delaying that offers very little upside.
Jesus dude….we all get it. You hate Kirk, think he’s incompetent and is incapable of quarterbacking a Super Bowl winning team. I mean you’re dead wrong, but to each their own. 

You do realize THIS is the last year of Jefferson’s rookie contract. Essentially the Vikings have to hit on a pro bowl quarterback (Which will be much harder out of the second tier), and understand he’s that good by the trade deadline this year. Otherwise Jefferson could just decide to test the free agent waters, wait for a team to back up the Brinks truck, and tell us to kick rocks.

Also regardless of whether Kirk is on the team or not, the cap situation drastically improves In 2025. In fact we have so few players with guaranteed money on the cap that year, you could eat all of Kirks dead money that year and still have plenty of room to sign free agents.  

whether you want to admit it or not, it’s gonna be way easier to lock up Jefferson, long-term with Kirk quarterbacking a couple more years while we look for his eventual replacement.

… Or we could go your route, rip the Band-Aid off, start a dart throw of a quarterback. and Waste all the talent we have at wide receiver currently on this team. 
What ever dude.  You go debate yourself since you want to make shit up.   Have a good weekend. 

Quote: @CFIAvike said:

I like Cousins as a person!
But he is never taking us to a super bowl!
What has he accomplished for us...Nothing 
How many QB’s get 6 years to do nothing?

You say JJ needs Cousins. But Mullens a backup quaterback with a weak arm. was averaging more yards per game with JJ than Cousins.
Bridge QB for a 1/3 of the price can accomplish as much as Cousins. And we can help build the rest of the team with Cousins money.

Quote: @Norse said:
@CFIAvike said:

You say JJ needs Cousins. But Mullens a backup quaterback with a weak arm. was averaging more yards per game with JJ than Cousins.
Bridge QB for a 1/3 of the price can accomplish as much as Cousins. And we can help build the rest of the team with Cousins money.
I dont believe in QB wins
I dont want to overpay Cousins, but he isnt going to end-up under-payed 
What has Cousins accomplished? In a vacuum his stats are pretty good - better than many, not a HOF'er
What the team has accomplished during his tenure? Thats as much or more an indictment on the org than Kirk imo. 

Quote: @Zanary said:
@pattersaur said:
I posted in another thread about Fields shortly before you made this one. My answer is yes.

Of the people saying hell no, what if- hypothetically- Kirk is gone. Signs somewhere else, retires, whatever. He’s out. Does that change your answer?

My first move would be trying to trade up for Maye or Daniels but now let’s say that’s not an option either (Very likely).

That leaves us with Russell Wilson, a dude off the scrap heap, or Mccarthy/Nix/Penix as starter for next season.

Frankly Fields sounds a heckuva lot safer to me than any of those guys. The one thing that would give me pause on Fields isn’t him, it’s actually us. We have weapons but can KO tailor his offense to a QB like Fields? 3 months ago I’d have said definitely but after how this season went now I’m not as certain. 

I like McCarthy a lot and will be happy if the Vikings draft him. But most of what this franchise has done for the past 20 years tells me they won’t start a rookie at QB Week 1. The Vikings will choose the safer option almost every time. So I think Fields is very much in play for us if Chicago will do it. He’s a fun player. 
First of all...hell no to Wilson, he's right where McFlabb was when he began his descent from "contender" to "cooked".

I won't pretend to know which of the college bois will be available, with or without trades, because that's for scouting departments and the kinds of obsessors that have already submitted their 30th mock draft...of 2024.

All that said, Fields would not go anywhere without some sort of deal, and that means investing in a top-level athlete that shows bottom-rung decision-making and maybe could be described as a worst case Josh Allen.

Yes, he can run, has a big arm, and can have some inspired play, even inspired games...but he's either got to make a seriies of HUGE mental strides and/or show to still be coachable despite Chicago incompetence. I don't believe he's fixable.
What makes you think Fields would require a new deal right away? He’s signed for two more years and under this scenario he’s being shipped out the team who just made him the backup.

If he plays well this season then yeah he’ll need to be paid but not many QBs get paid after just 3 years. No way, in his case.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@CFIAvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@CFIAvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@CFIAvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:

What ever dude.  You go debate yourself since you want to make shit up.   Have a good weekend. 
What am i making up? lol. Sorry pointing out the obvious pisses you off. Have a great weekend as well. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@Norse said:
@CFIAvike said:

I dont believe in QB wins
I dont want to overpay Cousins, but he isnt going to end-up under-payed 
What has Cousins accomplished? In a vacuum his stats are pretty good - better than many, not a HOF'er
What the team has accomplished during his tenure? Thats as much or more an indictment on the org than Kirk imo. 
Before the season began here was the list QBs with the most "QB wins" the previous two seasons and their defensive points per game allowed.
1. Patrick Mahomes (12th)
2. Josh Allen (2nd)
3. Jalen Hurts (11th)
4. Joe Burrow (6th)
5. Kirk Cousins (28th)
6. Aaron Rodgers (13th)
Who stands out to you? Yeah, and that guy was leading the NFL in passing when he was hurt. 

Quote:

Here’s where Kirk haters get it wrong…. saying things like he’s accomplished nothing and he’ll never take us to a Super Bowl. 

Kirk won his first playoff appearance with us and dropped the next game to the Niners who ended up in the Super Bowl. Then the entire team down spiraled under Zimmer/Spielman’s final two years. 

Enter the new regime. We win 13 games. Kirk legit wins us several games on final drives and we’re playoff bound again. Then the Giants game loss that everyone hangs on Kirk because of the final play…. but no one brings up how the defense just completely laid down and let Daniel Jones go Superman on them. This team NEVER should have been in the position go have to win one on the final drive had the defense even played AVERAGE. Kirk’s performance would have won a playoff game for 90% of teams with at moderately competent defense. Kirk did not go win that game like he did over and over that year, but he certainly didn’t lose it. 

It takes an entire team to have success and Kirk has absolutely played his part. That’s the frustrating thing when i read “Kirk sucks and will never lead us to a a Super Bowl”.

Also Almost every team that’s won a Super Bowl has a QB thats taking up a significant part of their cap, so i dont wanna THAT excuse either as to why they don’t have the pieces to get it done. Poor drafting has more to do with that than anything (how many CB’s have we missed on?)

The last six years have been titleless…like every year before it, but Kirk has little to do with that problem. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
He would look a helluva lot better in our offense. It's something I would consider only if we're unable to trade up and the other QBs don't fall the way we need them to. It could be a trade that happens on the clock on day two. 
Agree on the day 2 take.  I'm not sure the Bears would trade him to us though.  

Fields has shown slight improvement in each of his 3 years....slight.  He will be 25 soon and is under contract for 6 million and we all like that number Smile

I would also take the flyer based on your scenario above.  

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@Zanary said:
@pattersaur said:
I posted in another thread about Fields shortly before you made this one. My answer is yes.

Of the people saying hell no, what if- hypothetically- Kirk is gone. Signs somewhere else, retires, whatever. He’s out. Does that change your answer?

My first move would be trying to trade up for Maye or Daniels but now let’s say that’s not an option either (Very likely).

That leaves us with Russell Wilson, a dude off the scrap heap, or Mccarthy/Nix/Penix as starter for next season.

Frankly Fields sounds a heckuva lot safer to me than any of those guys. The one thing that would give me pause on Fields isn’t him, it’s actually us. We have weapons but can KO tailor his offense to a QB like Fields? 3 months ago I’d have said definitely but after how this season went now I’m not as certain. 

I like McCarthy a lot and will be happy if the Vikings draft him. But most of what this franchise has done for the past 20 years tells me they won’t start a rookie at QB Week 1. The Vikings will choose the safer option almost every time. So I think Fields is very much in play for us if Chicago will do it. He’s a fun player. 
First of all...hell no to Wilson, he's right where McFlabb was when he began his descent from "contender" to "cooked".

I won't pretend to know which of the college bois will be available, with or without trades, because that's for scouting departments and the kinds of obsessors that have already submitted their 30th mock draft...of 2024.

All that said, Fields would not go anywhere without some sort of deal, and that means investing in a top-level athlete that shows bottom-rung decision-making and maybe could be described as a worst case Josh Allen.

Yes, he can run, has a big arm, and can have some inspired play, even inspired games...but he's either got to make a seriies of HUGE mental strides and/or show to still be coachable despite Chicago incompetence. I don't believe he's fixable.
What makes you think Fields would require a new deal right away? He’s signed for two more years and under this scenario he’s being shipped out the team who just made him the backup.

If he plays well this season then yeah he’ll need to be paid but not many QBs get paid after just 3 years. No way, in his case.
Because he is nearing the end of his rookie deal, and he'll be pushing for a commitment (or walking papers) from his team...whoever that is. He has to bet on himself, and hope that someone agrees; if he doesn't, he frankly lacks the confidence to be in the NFL in the first place.