Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Per Rapoport: Vikings taking trade calls on Hunter
because trading Kirk means JJ will be suiting up for someone else---he aint signing on for Qb roulette while they figure it out.

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
Contract Talks Hit Impasse but Vikings Have No Plans to Trade Danielle Hunterhttps://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/contract-talks-slow-vikings-no-plans-to-trade-danielle-hunter/ 

I have a very, very very very strong sense that leakage did not come from TCO performance center. It did not come from the Vikings. So we’re looking at either some other team that is hoping putting this out there required with a VIKINGS if they’re hoping this can push trade talks forward or it was Danielle‘s representation not happy with where new contract talks stand. The Vikings have had every intention, going back many many weeks, to have Danielle Hunter in purple in 2023, fully knowing that his current base salary just doesn’t float his boat. That they need to take care of him financially to get him some sort of spike up, right? But, you know, to me… this is a signal that Danielle‘s camp is not real happy with where those contract talks stand. But until I hear otherwise, I don’t think a trade is on the cusp, is imminent. Maybe we get to that point eventually, but I’m just telling you, the Vikings have every intention — right now as we sit here on June 8 — the Vikings want Danielle Hunter in purple.
Darren Wolfson on Minnesota Sports with Mackey & Judd
Best indication yet that they might very well trade him.  Minute a team says one thing, think the opposite.  Remember all the recent discussions that the Vikes might keep Cook?  If they trade Hunter, it is to position themselves to trade up for a top QB next draft.  It would also be a sell high situation.

It has been interesting and challenging, trying to read the tea leaves and bread crumb trails and figure what the Vikings are doing. What is the plan? Is there a plan?
Ever since they chose to not extend Cousins and begin clearing some cap space, I felt they were beginning the process of finding their QB of the future.
I agree when you you say, "If they trade Hunter, it is to position themselves to trade up for a top QB next draft."
Hunter has a contract that should allow Kwesi to get some more draft capital towards that end, in a trade.
A Hunter trade could be the next bread crumb along that trail.

Quote: @jargomcfargo said:
It has been interesting and challenging, trying to read the tea leaves and bread crumb trails and figure what the Vikings are doing. What is the plan? Is there a plan?
Ever since they chose to not extend Cousins and begin clearing some cap space, I felt they were beginning the process of finding their QB of the future.
I agree when you you say, "If they trade Hunter, it is to position themselves to trade up for a top QB next draft."
Hunter has a contract that should allow Kwesi to get some more draft capital towards that end, in a trade.
A Hunter trade could be the next bread crumb along that trail.
I know Right?  They are not sharing their plans obvi, they are telling us by the moves they are and are not making.  Drives some nuts they wont come out and say it lol

Quote: @Akvike said:
because trading Kirk means JJ will be suiting up for someone else---he aint signing on for Qb roulette while they figure it out.
he will sign on if the money is right,  if its not he wont,   he knows his career is not dependent on Cousins and that his career will likely out last Cousins.  Its in JJs best interest for the team to find that QBOTF sooner than later as that will give them more time together in their primes to accomplish things as a team.   nothing says it has to be a roulette just because they let Cousins walk after next year.

Quote: @Akvike said:
No it doesn't. Cousins will be 35 before the start of the season and it's anybody guess on when/if he takes a Matt Ryan-esque nose dive in production. The early indications are Kwesi is not willing to tie up money on a big extension and take that risk. So JJ needs to get used to the idea that Cousins won't be here long term and he will have to trust in the front office to put the right pieces in place around him, including a long term QB. We are going to make him the highest paid position player in football and he won't be going anywhere regardless if we dropped Cousins tomorrow. I think that's one of the biggest bullshit lines being tossed around this forum that if the Vikings move on from Cousins it will piss JJ off and he will leave. Not happening 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@Akvike said:
No it doesn't. Cousins will be 35 before the start of the season and it's anybody guess on when/if he takes a Matt Ryan-esque nose dive in production. The early indications are Kwesi is not willing to tie up money on a big extension and take that risk. So JJ needs to get used to the idea that Cousins won't be here long term and he will have to trust in the front office to put the right pieces in place around him, including a long term QB. We are going to make him the highest paid position player in football and he won't be going anywhere regardless if we dropped Cousins tomorrow. I think that's one of the biggest bullshit lines being tossed around this forum that if the Vikings move on from Cousins it will piss JJ off and he will leave. Not happening 
Yes Jefferson knows he'll play the bulk of his career with a different QB. This QB will likely be a high pick in next year's draft. 

But if you think Jefferson, at the peak of contract negotiations, where he could sign or walk away at any point, just doesn't give a damn who his 2023 QB is, you're being ridiculously naive.

What's more, with training camp a couple weeks away, if you still think trading Cousins is even a remote possibility, you really are fooling yourself. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Akvike said:
Yes Jefferson knows he'll play the bulk of his career with a different QB. This QB will likely be a high pick in next year's draft. 

But if you think Jefferson, at the peak of contract negotiations, where he could sign or walk away at any point, just doesn't give a damn who his 2023 QB is, you're being ridiculously naive.

What's more, with training camp a couple weeks away, if you still think trading Cousins is even a remote possibility, you really are fooling yourself. 
I agree the likelihood is very very low,  but people are so quick to dismiss the Niners due to what they gave up for Lance,  well they are built to win now, and they arent exactly bare cupboard for next years draft.  I would have to think that an offer that included their first as well as a few other picks ( or for the Lance fans, go ahead and throw him in to replace a later round pick )  would have to be considered.

Projected Niners 2024 draft picks:

Round 1
Round 2
Round 3
Round 3 (Compensatory)
Round 3 (Compensatory)
Round 4
Round 5 (Compensatory)
Round 5 (Compensatory)
Round 6
Round 6 (Compensatory)
Round 7

We totally need to figure out how to snag all those Compensatory picks through minority hires.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
We totally need to figure out how to snag all those Compensatory picks through minority hires.
load up your front office and coaching staff with high level minority candidates,  then when they get hired to leadership positions with other clubs,  cha ching.  although improving on our draft picks would go a long way to improve those comp odds as well,  unfortunately its the teams that draft good that can afford to let those players walk that net more comp picks,  teams that are barely scraping by on their draft picks,  or trading them away for questionable veteran additions that dont work out,  or to move up in the draft end up not being rewarded and they are the teams that typically need more tickets for the lottery.