Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN: Vikings in play for Lamar Jackson
Baltimore Ravens star Lamar Jackson announced Monday he requested a trade from the team before free agency opened.
The Ravens placed the non-exclusive franchise tag on Jackson, which would guarantee him $32.4 million for the 2023 season if he signs the one-year tender. Another team would have to send two first-round picks to Baltimore to sign him to an offer sheet.
Head coach John Harbaugh said Monday he doesn't expect Baltimore's quarterback situation to change:
The revelation may not change the situation since Jackson made his request nearly a month ago. The Ravens' use of the non-exclusive franchise tag meant he was available and any team could've tried to acquire him.
But that he wanted to leave Baltimore certainly wasn't known publicly, and those around the league may not have been aware, either.
It's tough to recall an NFL saga like this in recent memory.
Teams typically bend over backward to retain franchise quarterbacks, especially one in the prime of their career. Instead, Jackson and the Ravens have been deadlocked for months over a long-term agreement.
The seeming lack of outside interest is also not what you'd expect for a player with his résumé. The market has been so lukewarm that some have wondered whether owners are colluding against the two-time Pro Bowler, who has sought a precedent-setting contract in terms of guaranteed money. Deshaun Watson's fully guaranteed five-year, $230 million deal with the Cleveland Browns remains an exception.
And all this is unfolding while Jackson operates without an agent. The tactic isn't uncommon in the NFL, but stars typically hire representation when they're negotiating agreements of this magnitude.
This provided another twist last week when the NFL issued a memo regarding Ken Francis, who isn't a certified agent but "may be contacting Clubs and attempting to persuade Club personnel to enter into negotiations with or concerning Lamar Jackson."
Jackson disputed the notion that Francis was negotiating on his behalf:
The Ravens don't seem like they have felt a desire to meet Jackson's contract demands, and other teams likely haven't aggressively pursued a trade based on the lack of rumors.
Jackson's public statement could apply enough pressure to expedite a resolution.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10070215-lamar-jackson-requests-trade-from-ravens-after-receiving-tag-amid-contract-rumors?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Quote: @"PurpleCrush" said:
I believe that's a parody/satire account. They basically just throw shit against the wall and see what sticks while also coming up with some really wild stuff.
Its is, its a bullshit parody account. 

The Jackson saga is really interesting. I'm not sure what's going on with the Ravens, but they've decided that they'll roll the dice here. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"PurpleCrush" said:
I believe that's a parody/satire account. They basically just throw shit against the wall and see what sticks while also coming up with some really wild stuff.

The Jackson saga is really interesting. I'm not sure what's going on with the Ravens, but they've decided that they'll roll the dice here. 
as long as Jackson continues to over estimate his worth,  it works out well for the Ravens.  They can tag him,  knowing that nobody out there is likely to give the kind of money that Jackson is looking for,  so they get him back at fraction of what he wants to be paid,  and as he is a running QB,  and is likely to end up with an injury that threatens his ability at some point in the future,  they are then off the hook.  IMO its pretty smart on their part to proceed this way,  worse case scenario, somebody does work out a deal and they can either honor it or take the 2 firsts.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"PurpleCrush" said:

as long as Jackson continues to over estimate his worth,  it works out well for the Ravens.  They can tag him,  knowing that nobody out there is likely to give the kind of money that Jackson is looking for,  so they get him back at fraction of what he wants to be paid,  and as he is a running QB,  and is likely to end up with an injury that threatens his ability at some point in the future,  they are then off the hook.  IMO its pretty smart on their part to proceed this way,  worse case scenario, somebody does work out a deal and they can either honor it or take the 2 firsts.
They are both playing a game of chicken IMO.  But I think Baltimore has the balls in this showdown.  

@"StickyBun" said:
@"PurpleCrush" said:

It's the Kirk Cousins situation all over again.  The team doesn't want to give their QB a big deal and will franchise tag him until it's cost prohibitive.  Then he'll be a FA and can dictate his next move.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"PurpleCrush" said:

They are both playing a game of chicken IMO.  But I think Baltimore has the balls in this showdown.  
well,  since they can match any offer,  or take the two first rounders, IMO they are playing from the position of power.  They really have nothing to lose at this point IMO as Jackson is a weapon,  but his legs are by far his primary tool and that is a short lived tool typically so if he wants to mess around and play the franchise tag game for a couple years,  Baltimore wins.  getting Jackson for under 33 this year is a win for them.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"PurpleCrush" said:

It's the Kirk Cousins situation all over again.  The team doesn't want to give their QB a big deal and will franchise tag him until it's cost prohibitive.  Then he'll be a FA and can dictate his next move.
with the added twist of Jacksons shelf life, as a running QB, likely being less that Kirks as a pocket passer.  I havent followed to see how far apart they are, but Jackson should fire his agent if he ends up playing on the tag they slapped on him.  IMO he needs to get something on paper from somebody and force the Ravens to either honor that or get his long term security settled, even if its not what he was looking for in the first place. 

@"Wetlander" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"PurpleCrush" said:

with the added twist of Jacksons shelf life, as a running QB, likely being less that Kirks as a pocket passer.  I havent followed to see how far apart they are, but Jackson should fire his agent if he ends up playing on the tag they slapped on him.  IMO he needs to get something on paper from somebody and force the Ravens to either honor that or get his long term security settled, even if its not what he was looking for in the first place. 
He can't fire himself lol
Lamar doesn't have an agent, he's representing himself in his contract negotiations.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"PurpleCrush" said:

He can't fire himself lol
Lamar doesn't have an agent, he's representing himself in his contract negotiations.
I knew that,  thats why I said "fire his agent"

Already some woke sports social media rumblings that this might....'might' be because he's black. Riiiiight. 

[Image: giphy.gif]