Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it just me? Not happy.
Am I disappointed?  Well I would have taken a flyer on Levis.  He has a high ceiling, but probably an equally high chance to totally bust.  But without the 5th year option I'm not sure why you'd bother after round 1.   There are more pressing needs.  Still, you wonder when this team is going to actually address the QBOTF issue and get out of Kirk Cousins Perpetual .500 Hell.

A good WR2 isn't a bad addition and he seems like a talented player, but how often does a team, outside of some some Detroit Lions-style mistake, add a WR2 with their first round pick?   IMO they spent a 1st on a 2nd round type guy, 4th WR off the board because the trade market was soft and the pickings were slim at that point with so many defensive guys going ahead of the 23rd pick.

As far as trading back, it's clear that they worked the phones until they dropped their pick with 40 seconds left and couldn't find value.  With everyone now on the analytics train and wanting to trade back out of the latter half of the first, it's very hard to find a partner since they all want to do the same thing.   You either stay put or get fleeced (like last year).  At least we stayed put.   

Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
I was listening to the presser and I thought it was interesting that Notre Dame was looking at Addison as a corner. He sounds quite level-headed and ready to work. I am trusting the brain trust on this one. 
Heard that was KC that was sniffing at Addison.

How many superstars do you expect the Vikes to draft with only 5 picks and slotted at the #23 spot?  Even when they have 7 or more picks, they usually are lucky to get 2 or 3 starters.  Yeah, this year the draft sucks with only 5 picks, but they do have an awesome, proven, Pro Bowl TE with for that missing #2 pick.  I'd rather have Hock than the unknown #2.
I too was expecting defense last night but I have a feeling Addison was rated highly on their board; it certainly filled a need after AT left.  I don't think the defense will be rebuilt via the draft.  They might just be rolling with what they have unless Cook gets traded for a defensive player.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
Pros on Addison,   hes quicker than fast,  can change directions without having to drop much speed,  sure he isn't gonna blow by many people,  but he will get open quickly and seems to have the hands to make contested catches....so it's nothing at all against the kid.

But WR?  How delusional is a GM that has a solid O,  and a bottom of the league D,  and uses his first two picks in the draft on adding offensive play makers.  And before somebody makes a cute comment about how its an offense driven league,  then they better the fuck not use the defense as an excuse as to why the team loses games,  or as an excuse as to why the team hasn't produced squat with kirko at the helm.

Pick for the future,  great 2 QB prospects fall into your lap,  pick for the now...great, a couple damn good defenders available as well to try and address the glaring deficiency from last year...but no,  lets spend our one decent draft pick this year on a guy that will be third read on most passing plays.

I think kam is putting to much hope in the kids from last years draft making a huge impact this year to fix our D,  which is fine if the plan was to move on from KC and build for the future,  but if the thought was to win now,  the only plan I see is hoping to win the race to 60 every game,  which our O isn't built to do.
I have a hunch the Vikings are going to be much more active in post-draft free agency than they usually are. 
thats nice,  but doesnt sell much hope.  we talk about the longshots that are draft picks,  the odds of finding quality in the kiddy pool are even slimmer.

but I do appreciate you trying to cheer me up!
Kiddy pool? I don't know why, but for whatever reason (maybe the cap increase), this year's 2nd tier of free agency is stacked with pretty good players who are still on the market. Solid, Pro Bowl-level players, some still in their 20s. Wait, maybe you thought I meant college free agency? OK, yeah, that's the kiddy pool. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
Pros on Addison,   hes quicker than fast,  can change directions without having to drop much speed,  sure he isn't gonna blow by many people,  but he will get open quickly and seems to have the hands to make contested catches....so it's nothing at all against the kid.

But WR?  How delusional is a GM that has a solid O,  and a bottom of the league D,  and uses his first two picks in the draft on adding offensive play makers.  And before somebody makes a cute comment about how its an offense driven league,  then they better the fuck not use the defense as an excuse as to why the team loses games,  or as an excuse as to why the team hasn't produced squat with kirko at the helm.

Pick for the future,  great 2 QB prospects fall into your lap,  pick for the now...great, a couple damn good defenders available as well to try and address the glaring deficiency from last year...but no,  lets spend our one decent draft pick this year on a guy that will be third read on most passing plays.

I think kam is putting to much hope in the kids from last years draft making a huge impact this year to fix our D,  which is fine if the plan was to move on from KC and build for the future,  but if the thought was to win now,  the only plan I see is hoping to win the race to 60 every game,  which our O isn't built to do.
I have a hunch the Vikings are going to be much more active in post-draft free agency than they usually are. 
thats nice,  but doesnt sell much hope.  we talk about the longshots that are draft picks,  the odds of finding quality in the kiddy pool are even slimmer.

Kiddy pool? I don't know why, but for whatever reason (maybe the cap increase), this year's 2nd tier of free agency is stacked with pretty good players who are still on the market. Solid, Pro Bowl-level players, some still in their 20s. Wait, maybe you thought I meant college free agency? OK, yeah, that's the kiddy pool. 
yep,  I should have put a little more thought into what you wrote and realized you would have said "undrafted or college"

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

Oh you big grumpalumpagus. Drink a beer. We’ve got football in April. 

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

Oh you big grumpalumpagus. Drink a beer. We’ve got football in April. 
BEER?  beer is for your starting guard getting a high ankle sprain,  what I am experiencing with this team requires whiskey!!!

Another head scratcher for me USC - CB ahead of guys like Rush, Smith, Trice all over 6'1 

PFF - has him rated in the 180's and we took him at 102.  

The only thing that makes me smile about this draft is TJ Hockenson.  Period.

Kwesi may be the death of analytics in Minnesota.

Quote: @"minny65" said:
Another head scratcher for me USC - CB ahead of guys like Rush, Smith, Trice all over 6'1 

PFF - has him rated in the 180's and we took him at 102.  
I was a little confused too, but everything I'm researching currently points to Blackmon being a competitor and probably a better man coverage fit. There's no change of direction concerns and he is fluid in everything he does, just lacks size. Transfer from Colorado played opposite Christian Gonzalez. I just watched the NFL Network coverage of the pick and DJ relayed that Blackmon would intentionally get in line at practice to specifically go against Jordan Addison. Best on best. I don't know that we ever needed a "for sure" starter at corner as I do believe the scheme and injury was a bigger hindrance more then anything. Murphy, hopefully a healthy Evans and Booth with Blackmon in the mix. I'm ok with that