Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikes hiring Flores
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Bullazin" said:
Go get him a Hargrave or Payne to push the pocket. may have to part with Tomlinson, but we paid phillips to play that role and lynch has been ok. 

that one move would help alot! 
THIS,  with a bullet,  its the lack of in the QBs face kind of pressure that we have been missing for far to long,  even when Zim and Ed would send blitzes up the gut they rarely got home and typically made for very easy completions behind the blizter.  first and foremost we need to get the interior DL fixed,  for exactly the same reason we need to immediately address our OL giving up way to many pressures and hits in the QBs face.
Say what?  Are you thinking Frazier sending Greenway into a wall of lineman?

Zim could design pressure on the QB, that was never the issue.
he just didnt have the guys that were getting home with enough consistency to make it worth the effort,  or the cover guys on the back end that allowed enough time.  our blitzes the last few years of Zim were not effective nearly enough.
Not having Danielle Hunter the last couple years (injury) for Zimm really crippled what he could do defensively. We could never generate the same type of pressure we had before when Hunter and Griff were cranking and that was a huge factor in the falloff under Zimmer. 

@"greediron" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Bullazin" said:
Go get him a Hargrave or Payne to push the pocket. may have to part with Tomlinson, but we paid phillips to play that role and lynch has been ok. 

THIS,  with a bullet,  its the lack of in the QBs face kind of pressure that we have been missing for far to long,  even when Zim and Ed would send blitzes up the gut they rarely got home and typically made for very easy completions behind the blizter.  first and foremost we need to get the interior DL fixed,  for exactly the same reason we need to immediately address our OL giving up way to many pressures and hits in the QBs face.

he just didnt have the guys that were getting home with enough consistency to make it worth the effort,  or the cover guys on the back end that allowed enough time.  our blitzes the last few years of Zim were not effective nearly enough.
What, old PP and Breeland couldn't give them 1.2 seconds to get home?  You might have inadvertently stumbled on the real issue.

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

Not having Danielle Hunter the last couple years (injury) for Zimm really crippled what he could do defensively. We could never generate the same type of pressure we had before when Hunter and Griff were cranking and that was a huge factor in the falloff under Zimmer. 
I struggle with the idea that people out there judge Zimmer’s
defensive prowess based on the 2020 and 2021 seasons without stating their
expectations based on the talent that was defensive roster.  No DL and no CBs is a combination that no one
can scheme around.

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Bullazin" said:

I agree to some extent,  I think the falloff of play from our DT positions was more of a factor than the edge pressure,  we couldnt stop the run up the gut,  we couldnt collapse a pocket back into the QB,  yes edge pressure is a key to finishing off sacks,  but I think the DTs are as much or more important in a defensive system than the edge rushers.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

I struggle with the idea that people out there judge Zimmer’s
defensive prowess based on the 2020 and 2021 seasons without stating their
expectations based on the talent that was defensive roster.  No DL and no CBs is a combination that no one
can scheme around.

his scheme was to dependent on top tier talent,  plenty of other systems can be effective with only a few studs and the rest role playes,  Zim typically needed studs across the board at every level to achieve dominance. he is damn good Dmind, but to smart for this game IMO.

What Zimmer needed or didn't need is completely irrelevant in 2023. What needs to be seen is what players Flores needs to be successful this upcoming season.

Quote: @"1VikesFan" said:
What Zimmer needed or didn't need is completely irrelevant in 2023. What needs to be seen is what players Flores needs to be successful this upcoming season.
is it though,  when those needs are still an issue, and I havent seen a scheme yet that doesnt start with controlling the LOS.

@"1VikesFan" said:
is it though,  when those needs are still an issue, and I havent seen a scheme yet that doesnt start with controlling the LOS.
Yes it is, I agree that controlling the LOS is the start of a successful defense. Maybe it's just me, but I no longer give a shit what Zimmer did, he's no longer coaching the team. What matters is how Flores' defense does this.

Quote: @"1VikesFan" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"1VikesFan" said:
Yes it is, I agree that controlling the LOS is the start of a successful defense. Maybe it's just me, but I no longer give a shit what Zimmer did, he's no longer coaching the team. What matters is how Flores' defense does this.
simply pointing out that the issues that Zim,  and then Ed faced are likely the same issues that will hamper Flores if they are not addressed.  I think the 34 with the players we had was a awful decision,  but the lack of controlling the DL will derail any defensive system regardless of who is the DC... and that issue goes back to the front office not identifying need and addressing it.