Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you trade a 3rd for Lance?
Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
Look, I think the smart money is on the 49ers adding a veteran QB and you know Cousins is always towards the top of Shannahan's wish list. If we agreed to eat some of Cousins cap hit for this season, if the 49ers offered;
Trey Lance3rd round pick5th round pick
Is that something that gets it done?
Hell to the no... They want a proven durable starter, to get them to the promised land. I'd take Lance, 2 of their 3rds this year, and next year's 2nd, (which will be close to a high 3rd rd.) Remember, we might be flushing JJ's career with the Vikings in making this move. Huge risk.

Quote: @"mgobluevikes" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
Look, I think the smart money is on the 49ers adding a veteran QB and you know Cousins is always towards the top of Shannahan's wish list. If we agreed to eat some of Cousins cap hit for this season, if the 49ers offered;
Hell to the no... They want a proven durable starter, to get them to the promised land. I'd take Lance, 2 of their 3rds this year, and next year's 2nd, (which will be close to a high 3rd rd.) Remember, we might be flushing JJ's career with the Vikings in making this move. Huge risk.
 one thing to consider... if we dont want to extend KC and kick that cap hit further into his non playing years,  then we are essentially looking at paying him his 35 this year and then losing him for a 3rd round compensatory pick in 24.  if we do move him prior to march 23rd then we gain about 28M in cap this year IIRC so that could be huge in getting healthy and shortening any rebuilding period,  which IMO is a good thing,  the picks and players on top of the cap space... well thats just because its the niners.

Quote: @"HappyViking" said:
@"Norse" said:
Why would it be a full rebuild if we got rid of Cousins? We got enough talent on offense. 
Keenum a backup quarterback took us to the title game without Cook.
Which is something Cousins has been unable to accomplish.
Pretty sure our #1 ranked defense helped the team get to the NFC title game.  It's not unlike the 49ers this past season.  It'd be awesome to have a D like that again and an accurate QB like Cousins. 
Cousins first 2 years Zimmers defense ranked around 10th. 
This last year Defense was 31th.
What helped us more in 2017 was the offense being 1st on 3rd down conversions in the  League. 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
Throw in something in the 2nd/3rd of 2024 and done.  Good luck Kirk in SF

Lance gives you a higher ceiling at QB with now roster flexibility.  You don't need a premier OL to be efficient, you aren't limited in today's offense, and you don't have 15% of your cap tied up in one player.  

Lance is a QB who is young, cheap, mobile, and moldable which is a great place to start.  Cousins is none of those things

Quote: @"Skodin" said:
@"supafreak84" said:

Lance gives you a higher ceiling at QB with now roster flexibility.  You don't need a premier OL to be efficient, you aren't limited in today's offense, and you don't have 15% of your cap tied up in one player.  

Lance is a QB who is young, cheap, mobile, and moldable which is a great place to start.  Cousins is none of those things
I still think you need to sign a veteran in case Lance isnt ready,  physically or mentally.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Skodin" said:
@"supafreak84" said:

I still think you need to sign a veteran in case Lance isnt ready,  physically or mentally.
But who? If that someone is physically and mentally ready, they are starting for somebody, or are an unobtainable backup. Everyone else has giant question marks. You have to drop out of the top 12 paid QB's to begin to save any real money, so who would you realistically target as a starter?

•Wentz
•Trubisky
•Tyrod Taylor
•Mariota

Holy steaming pile of excrement...

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Skodin" said:
@"supafreak84" said:

But who? If that someone is physically and mentally ready, they are starting for somebody, or are an unobtainable backup. Everyone else has giant question marks. You have to drop out of the top 12 paid QB's to begin to save any real money, so who would you realistically target as a starter?

•Wentz
•Trubisky
•Tyrod Taylor
•Mariota

Mayfield, Bridgewater,  Darnold, are a few that come to mind that shouldnt break the bank.    Really depends on a lot of other variables,   but should be able to find somebody for 6 to 8 million that won't break the bank.  Would be interesting to see what they offer Mullens.

Honestly it doesn't really matter as I would hope that of we are pinning our QB future to Lance,  at least for a year or two,  I would hope he would be ready to take the reigns in a driver's ed type season. 

I am not looking to contend for a SB next year,   just looking for ways to set up for a run or 24 or 25.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Skodin" said:
@"supafreak84" said:

•Wentz
•Trubisky
•Tyrod Taylor
•Mariota

Mayfield, Bridgewater,  Darnold, are a few that come to mind that shouldnt break the bank.    Really depends on a lot of other variables,   but should be able to find somebody for 6 to 8 million that won't break the bank.  Would be interesting to see what they offer Mullens.

Honestly it doesn't really matter as I would hope that of we are pinning our QB future to Lance,  at least for a year or two,  I would hope he would be ready to take the reigns in a driver's ed type season. 

I am not looking to contend for a SB next year,   just looking for ways to set up for a run or 24 or 25.
None of those you mentioned have proven to have the combination to be both mentally or physically ready for a full season, and honestly, can you think of worse guys to mentor a young QB than Mayfield and Darnold? They are young, with fragile egos, and already feel like they've been screwed over by their former organizations. You think they want to come in with the understanding that they're there to teach their replacement? Highly unlikely Bridgewater would come back to Minnesota.

I'd take Mayfield as a backup. Guy can win a few games for you. 

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Skodin" said:
@"supafreak84" said:

•Wentz
•Trubisky
•Tyrod Taylor
•Mariota

None of those you mentioned have proven to have the combination to be both mentally or physically ready for a full season, and honestly, can you think of worse guys to mentor a young QB than Mayfield and Darnold? They are young, with fragile egos, and already feel like they've been screwed over by their former organizations. You think they want to come in with the understanding that they're there to teach their replacement? Highly unlikely Bridgewater would come back to Minnesota.

I'd take Mayfield as a backup. Guy can win a few games for you. 
I was looking first at minshew but not sure his price tag,   or fuck it,   bring a cheap ass crap QB in,  if Mullens or Lance aren't ready let the season go and see what 24 brings with some better draft picks.

Quote: @"1VikesFan" said:
Ya know I find it really humorous that many here want to get rid of Cousins but we keep getting reminded that Shanahan wants him. Shanahan is one of the best offensive minds in the game and if he wants Cousins so bad why wouldn't the Vikings want him?

I understand the cap ramifications but that's part of today's NFL. I really don't think Lance would be able to step in and be as good as Cousins and what other solution do they have to replace his durability and accuracy? Not to mention how JJ and others would react to an obvious rebuild move.
Don't worry, this will never happen. KAM might be young and inexperienced, but he's not stupid. No team coming off 13 wins replaces its proven QB with an unproven one. I mean on the surface its just ridiculous. 

Draft or trade for a QB? Fine. Begin the transition from Cousins to the QBOTF? Sure. But you don't saddle a 13-win team (and its star WR) with a QB who may or may not even be able to play in the NFL.  

But you can bet that the next several weeks are going to be filled with breathless, unhinged trade talk and speculation with no bearing in reality.