Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guru Mock 2.0
Quote: @Vikergirl said:
It's absolutely hilarious to me that the math people see this as a win and the others don't. Definitely a bizarre draft as far as talent goes and how it is going to play out. It is going to be interesting to watch the process. I am looking forward to seeing more.
I haven't seen any "math" person see this as a win?  A few might be saying they liked the Cine pick but almost to a person they Know we didn't win the exchange of picks because the math does not add up in our favor.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@purplefaithful said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
Spelly got very lucky trading down last year...

Viking nation would have been in flames if he wasn't able to land Darrisaw. 

I'll say this - if they move up for Stingley? Its because they have the best insights of any NFL team on him, right on their coaching staff. 

That said, am curious to see how this new team executes their 1st nfl draft. A trade-up would shock the heck out of me. IT hasn't been the Viking way very often. 
I'm curious too. This is his first time running a draft room. Rick was a master of maneuvering around a draft to optimize value. Moving up for players like Dalvin Cook, Harrison Smith, and Tyler Conklin, to name a few, and moving down when the value wasn't there. Darrisaw is a good example. But also moving down to take Gladney (who should still be on the team), a move that netted DJ Wonnum and KJ Osborne. Or the move down a couple times to take Alexander Mattison with the last pick on day two, because he was the target and there was no need to take him at our original slot. That netted traded assets, along with Oli Udoh. 

Love our new GM, but the fact that he was zero experience doing any of this has me a little concerned. 
I wouldn't be too concerned since there are enough tenured members of the FO/personnel staff to keep him honest. The questions I have are more methodical. Will they be a team that is ultra aggressive, will they truly be a BPA team, or will they manipulate the board to fill their needs? We may not even know until there are 2-3 drafts under his belt. 

The Browns and 49ers typically tend to stay put in round 1. Grigson did the same with the Colts. So I do wonder if that will kind of be their initial M.O. But anything is possible. 

Where were those tenured members when KAM was eating his own knee caps last night? 
Yeah, not much oversight of KAM on that move. There's no way to look at that move from a comp standpoint that would show any other than the Vikings got taken. 
I don't necessarily agree with that. People keep referencing outdates trade charts and say the Viking got ran. Any analytics focused trade chart has the Vikings winning by 10-13%. There is just a lot of preconceived bias that trading back is awful since the Vikings have done it so much. 

Ultimately trade charts are all in a vacuum but at the end of the day I personally think the Vikings felt if they got even value for their pick they'd move back and avoid taking a wide receiver. So long-term the question will be is Cine + a high 3rd + moving up 1/2 a round in the 2nd worth passing on Hamilton. I personally would say, yes. But it all will need to be looked at in the long-run. I personally had Cine right there with Hamilton, who I thought was overrated.   
Or...

Was Cine + high 3rd + moving up 1/2 round in the 2nd worth passing on Jameson Williams + letting a division rival draft him instead?

I would have been perfectly fine with Williams @ 12
On talent alone, no. But take WR off the table for a moment since they eliminated it as an option or they would have taken Williams. Its comparing apples to oranges. 
I dont get this line of thinking...If the talent was there, dont you take it? Look, Jameson isnt most likely going to be the next Randy Moss - but the talent was there

Especially with the future cap hit and age of AT? 

I think they got lost in the #'s and common sense went out the window. Yes, I am butt hurt over yesterday, po'd even. A whiny little b#&*h about it. 

@purplefaithful said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

I'll say this - if they move up for Stingley? Its because they have the best insights of any NFL team on him, right on their coaching staff. 

That said, am curious to see how this new team executes their 1st nfl draft. A trade-up would shock the heck out of me. IT hasn't been the Viking way very often. 
I'm curious too. This is his first time running a draft room. Rick was a master of maneuvering around a draft to optimize value. Moving up for players like Dalvin Cook, Harrison Smith, and Tyler Conklin, to name a few, and moving down when the value wasn't there. Darrisaw is a good example. But also moving down to take Gladney (who should still be on the team), a move that netted DJ Wonnum and KJ Osborne. Or the move down a couple times to take Alexander Mattison with the last pick on day two, because he was the target and there was no need to take him at our original slot. That netted traded assets, along with Oli Udoh. 

Love our new GM, but the fact that he was zero experience doing any of this has me a little concerned. 
I wouldn't be too concerned since there are enough tenured members of the FO/personnel staff to keep him honest. The questions I have are more methodical. Will they be a team that is ultra aggressive, will they truly be a BPA team, or will they manipulate the board to fill their needs? We may not even know until there are 2-3 drafts under his belt. 

The Browns and 49ers typically tend to stay put in round 1. Grigson did the same with the Colts. So I do wonder if that will kind of be their initial M.O. But anything is possible. 

Where were those tenured members when KAM was eating his own knee caps last night? 
Yeah, not much oversight of KAM on that move. There's no way to look at that move from a comp standpoint that would show any other than the Vikings got taken. 
I don't necessarily agree with that. People keep referencing outdates trade charts and say the Viking got ran. Any analytics focused trade chart has the Vikings winning by 10-13%. There is just a lot of preconceived bias that trading back is awful since the Vikings have done it so much. 

Ultimately trade charts are all in a vacuum but at the end of the day I personally think the Vikings felt if they got even value for their pick they'd move back and avoid taking a wide receiver. So long-term the question will be is Cine + a high 3rd + moving up 1/2 a round in the 2nd worth passing on Hamilton. I personally would say, yes. But it all will need to be looked at in the long-run. I personally had Cine right there with Hamilton, who I thought was overrated.   
Or...

Was Cine + high 3rd + moving up 1/2 round in the 2nd worth passing on Jameson Williams + letting a division rival draft him instead?

On talent alone, no. But take WR off the table for a moment since they eliminated it as an option or they would have taken Williams. Its comparing apples to oranges. 
Taking Williams or any other available player other than Hamilton out of the equation is extremely charitable of you.

If Williams turns out to be awesome I don’t think many will be as forgiving haha.

I guess drafting BPA is truly dead, if it ever really lived. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@Vikergirl said:
It's absolutely hilarious to me that the math people see this as a win and the others don't. Definitely a bizarre draft as far as talent goes and how it is going to play out. It is going to be interesting to watch the process. I am looking forward to seeing more.

Well, you're a glutton for punishment then Wink

For me its more trepidation than anything...

Those guys have lost my trust in one fell swoop and I hope they win it back over time. 

Nope I am not on the ledge. I am going to let it play out. There is a plan and it deserves a chance before freaking out. Getting additional picks because there are holes. They are going to be looking at seconds and thirds for surplus value. They might trade down again, difference is it's not for 7th round picks. To some it seems like madness but there is a method. It is their first draft, I will wait until it's finished to evaluate the whole thing. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@purplefaithful said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

Or...

I dont get this line of thinking...If the talent was there, dont you take it? Look, Jameson isnt most likely going to be the next Randy Moss - but the talent was there

Especially with the future cap hit and age of AT? 

I think they got lost in the #'s and common sense went out the window. Yes, I am butt hurt over yesterday, po'd even. A whiny little b#&*h about it. 

Deep breaths Smile

Breath in...hold...breath out.

Stop, Drop and roll.

or

How about Cine and Booth...does that make it a little better?  

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@purplefaithful said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

Or...

Taking Williams or any other available player other than Hamilton out of the equation is extremely charitable of you.

If Williams turns out to be awesome I don’t think many will be as forgiving haha.

The issue with Williams was this - did the Vikings like him, Yes. They clearly didn't love him. If Williams would have shown up for his in-person top-30 visit at TCO it probably would have helped the cause. 

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@purplefaithful said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

Or...

BPA is mostly a myth IMO. Sure, teams in the top 5 will sometimes ignore need and pick the BPA, and then maybe again in the late rounds, but 9 times outta 10 teams try to fill needs. 

@pattersaur said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@purplefaithful said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

Or...

The issue with Williams was this - did the Vikings like him, Yes. They clearly didn't love him. If Williams would have shown up for his in-person top-30 visit at TCO it probably would have helped the cause. 

What's the story on that? I'm assuming he wouldn't just no show and there was a reason. 

I still hate that we traded out of our spot to a division rival for Lewis Cine and a bag of peanuts. It's stupid, especially when the Lions parlayed our pick into Williams who was the top receiver on most teams board and would have been a top 5 pick without the injury. Lions added the top overall player in the draft (Hutchinson), the top receiver in the draft, while we got Cine. Every aspect of this trade sucks 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@pattersaur said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@purplefaithful said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

Or...

What's the story on that? I'm assuming he wouldn't just no show and there was a reason. 

I still hate that we traded out of our spot to a division rival for Lewis Cine and a bag of peanuts. It's stupid, especially when the Lions parlayed our pick into Williams who was the top receiver on most teams board and would have been a top 5 pick without the injury. Lions added the top overall player in the draft (Hutchinson), the top receiver in the draft, while we got Cine. Every aspect of this trade sucks 
You can't do anything about Hutchinson. But the Vikings planned at top-30 visit with Williams but he chose to prioritize other teams which then prevented MN from bringing him in. Scheduling conflicts can happen, just seems like Williams preferred elsewhere. If Garrett Wilson had made it to #12 the Vikings wouldn't have traded out. So Williams was either WR 2 or 3 on their board I imagine. They may have had Olave tied or higher. 

@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@pattersaur said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@purplefaithful said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

Or...

You can't do anything about Hutchinson. But the Vikings planned at top-30 visit with Williams but he chose to prioritize other teams which then prevented MN from bringing him in. Scheduling conflicts can happen, just seems like Williams preferred elsewhere. If Garrett Wilson had made it to #12 the Vikings wouldn't have traded out. So Williams was either WR 2 or 3 on their board I imagine. They may have had Olave tied or higher. 

Yes, just saying the Lions were fortunate for Hutchinson to fall in their laps then fleece the Vikings in a trade up for the top receiver on most teams boards. The day-after analysis by the media is not favorable of the move made by the Vikings. From this mornings GBN;

"And speaking of hard-to-figure trades. Minnesota, a team which one has to figure sees itself as ‘close’, had a chance to grab a potential impact player like WR Jameson Williams, S Kyle Hamilton, DT Jordan Davis or CB Trent McDuffie with the 12th pick, but instead traded down to the end of the round where they took S Lewis Cine, who is a nice player but hardly an impact type. And it might have made sense had they gotten a 2023 first rounder out of the deal, but in the end all they really got extra was a 3rd rounder this year."

Like I said, there was nothing good about this trade. We'll see how it all ultimately plays out but it almost sounds to me like the Vikings were pre-determined to trade down and stick with "the plan" even if that meant getting fleeced by a division rival. It just looks bad all the way around