Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins Extended
It's probably the best that could be expected.  Dump Pierce (save $10mm on cap), and the increase in Cap space is an additional $25mm.  Then let the spending begin.

Quote: @RS Express said:
Welcome to the death of hope.  My one dim light is that the Vikings draft a QB in '23, train him for a year under Kirk, then shove Cousins overboard.  Oh, and draft an RB either this year or nest and have Dalvin walk the plank in '23 because his cap hit is going to be ridiculous then. 

And now we've got $6.25 mil cap hits already on the books for '24 and '25 even if Cousins is gone.  Yippee.
You may not know this, but that's actually really good. 

Kirk Cousins cap hits:

2022: $31.25M

2023: $36.25M

2024: $6.25M

2025: $6.25M

The 2 void years 2024 and 2025 count against the cap, but he won't be on the roster (unless another extension).

I like the deal, acceptable cap hits and the void years aren't too high.

Soo we basically got Kirk for one more year with a reduced cap hit this year, more big money next year and we now no longer control his trade option, leaving us once again scrambling in two years to figure out our QB situation as Cousins turns 36 years old, hits free agency, and any trade value would be extremely dimimished anyways. 

This is a win for Cousins and his agent, not for the Vikings. I hope O'Connell turns him into this bona-fide MVP Candidate that he thinks he can but I won't hold my breath. Oh and by the way, anybody holding out for a "stud" rookie to be drafted next year to groom can forget about it because the Vikings won't lose enough games to put us in contention to be drafting that high. This was the year and the time to make a move. Now we've essentially pigeon holed ourselves into a two year window to get it done with Cousins, a rookie coaching staff, and a defense that needs an overhaul with a new scheme being implemented. I think it's a poor strategy and will hold steadfast in that opinion until this organization proves me wrong. 

Quote: @minny65 said:
@RS Express said:
Welcome to the death of hope.  My one dim light is that the Vikings draft a QB in '23, train him for a year under Kirk, then shove Cousins overboard.  Oh, and draft an RB either this year or nest and have Dalvin walk the plank in '23 because his cap hit is going to be ridiculous then. 

And now we've got $6.25 mil cap hits already on the books for '24 and '25 even if Cousins is gone.  Yippee.
Yea and his dead cap hit for 2023 is now almost 50 million!
...which will impact the Vikings as much as my dead cap hit. Which, by the way, is $100M. 

Tom Brady is the only one taking a pay cut. That's the reality. Cousins is like 14% of the salary cap. They brought down the percentage so that helps. 

So, I guess this amounts to what Cousins considers a team friendly deal…?  :o Check this out:
Cousins, 33, has worked the NFL's labor rules to his advantage better than any player in league history. He worked under the franchise tag in 2016 and 2017, his final two seasons with Washington, and then used that leverage to enter the free agent market in 2018. He has now signed three fully guaranteed contracts with the Vikings, and his $158.9 million in earnings between 2016-21 are the most by any player in the NFL over that period.
By the end of the 2023 season, he will have earned at least $231.7 million in his career.
Now I know who Mike McCartney is.  Wink (Cousins’ agent)
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33495979/source-minnesota-vikings-qb-kirk-cousins-gets-35-million-extension

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
Soo we basically got Kirk for one more year with a reduced cap hit this year, more big money next year and we now no longer control his trade option, leaving us once again scrambling in two years to figure out our QB situation as Cousins turns 36 years old and any trade value would be extremely dimimished anyways. 

This is a win for Cousins and his agent, not for the Vikings. I hope O'Connell turns him into this bona-fide MVP Candidate that he thinks he can but I won't hold my breath. Oh and by the way, anybody holding out for a "stud" rookie to be drafted next year to groom can forget about it because the Vikings won't lose enough games to put us in contention to be drafting that high. This was the year and the time to make a move. Now we've essentially pigeon holed ourselves into a two year window to get it done with Cousins, a rookie coaching staff, and a defense that needs an overhaul with a new scheme being implemented. I think it's a poor strategy and will hold steadfast in that opinion until this organization proves me wrong. 
Agree 100%.

I guess I have to wait for something else to try and get excited for the upcoming season.  If it is basically resign/extend our current guys, add a few second tier FA's and the draft...rinse repeat and barely compete, wonderful.  

Then you add a first year coaching staff that many want to just assume will be better from game 1.....

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
Soo we basically got Kirk for one more year with a reduced cap hit this year, more big money next year and we now no longer control his trade option, leaving us once again scrambling in two years to figure out our QB situation as Cousins turns 36 years old, hits free agency, and any trade value would be extremely dimimished anyways. 

This is a fair take but it was said weeks ago that the Wilfs don’t want a rebuild. We knew this and they own the team, not us. That doesn’t make you wrong and them right but it’s the reality.

The good part of this extension is it’s short, we gain stability at the position, and we get to see what Kirk can do with KOC. The bad part is we probably won’t stink this season so we aren’t getting a crack at the blue chip QBs in 2023 (story of the franchise) and we also have a very uphill battle to win the division this year. 

If it’s true- as been reported- that KOC was adament about wanting Kirk, what can we do other than hope he knows what he’s doing. 

Also- comparing his deal to Tom Brady’s stinks because yeah, Brady’s is waaaay more team friendly. He’s also 10x the leader and winner Kirk is. He also doesn’t want to play for the Minnesota Vikings. So there’s not much point peeking over the fence at him.