Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins Ready To Play Ball?
Quote: @JR44 said:
@Zanary said:
We didn't have a HC that really ran an offense well in the 4 years that Kirk's been here, and Kirk's had a line with glaring problems the whole time...oh, yeah, and half of that time, the defense was 1-2 positions from dead last...and that was after years of kickers that couldn't hit FGs/XPs.

Remember any of that?  Maybe, just maybe, the QB that actually got us a lot of points DESPITE those issues wasn't the problem.
Got it, nothing was Kirk's fault Smile All of the times he looked like a deer in headlights in a big game was because he didn't have a supportive coach and no one else on the team was any good.  Also having the best RB and WR tandem in the league actually was prohibitive to his success in some way as well Smile
A decent amount is Kirk's fault, but to make him the scapegoat for the last two years is a damn joke. Sure, we have the best WR and RB tandem, when Dalvin isn't hurt or when Thielen isn't hurt. Unfortunately that has happened quite a bit the last 2 years. Has Kirk made a lot of questionable throws or looked like he's incompetent in some games over the last two years? Absolutely. But Kirk wasn't played CB or Safety vs the Lions when we had them standing in the end zone on the final play. Kirk isn't kicking the field goal vs Arizona. Kirk isn't running the ball in OT when there was a fumble. Kirk wasn't on the OL in the 49ers playoff game where he was pressured what felt like every damn play. Kirk wasn't QB at GB this year where the offense looked like my middle school team. 

It's a team game and there were a lot of team holes the last 2 years. Kirk has arguably been our most consistent player but because you probably think QB wins is a stat you continue to place the majority of blame on him. It's almost like one bad game negates 4-5 very good ones, it's comical.

Contract issues aside. I am interested in what an offensive minded coach can get out of Cousins. Zimmer leaned heavily on the run even when it was not working and especially this season, when they were in the red zone they would run on 1st and 2nd downs and usually only give Cousins one chance to score. Not to mention all the drives that were stalled because they would always run on 1st down. There is merrit to keeping the clock moving and keeping the ball out of the other team's hands, but I am curious to see what happens if the passing game is given more chances. Not to mention the different offensive concepts that will be installed.

Quote: @Tyr said:
Contract issues aside. I am interested in what an offensive minded coach can get out of Cousins. Zimmer leaned heavily on the run even when it was not working and especially this season, when they were in the red zone they would run on 1st and 2nd downs and usually only give Cousins one chance to score. Not to mention all the drives that were stalled because they would always run on 1st down. There is merrit to keeping the clock moving and keeping the ball out of the other team's hands, but I am curious to see what happens if the passing game is given more chances. Not to mention the different offensive concepts that will be installed.
my gripe with KC is basically his unwillingness to extend plays with his feet,  he can run, we know he can run around, IMO he chooses not to.  the other is that he tends to pre determine that the safety valve is the best option.  to many times we see him going to that RB/FB in the flat for 1 to 3 yards,  when a little slide or step up would have bought him a couple more ticks and a bigger gain would have come open.  when I watch the HOF QBs,  its not their arms, or their legs that win them games,  its the little subtle things they do in/around the pocket that create those big plays that turn games.  Kirk has yet to show that with any regularity.

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
https://www.audacy.com/cbssportsradio/sp...rk-cousins
were we expecting a "fuck no,  dudes a dumpster fire full of dog shit"  of course he is going to be complimentary to Kirk,  honestly he has no reason not to be based on what he has been able to do to date stat wise,  but personal accolades tend to diminish for guys like JJ and post season appearances and of course the bling becomes a major pull.  Its going to be about winning games over the other stuff pretty soon and that can change a song,  but for now, JJ has to much class and to much time left on his career to be the squeaky wheel.

IMO, if the Wilfs intended to keep KC, they would've retained Rick. Bringing in an entire new regime signals to me that they want to go in another direction.

Quote: @Knucklehead said:
IMO, if the Wilfs intended to keep KC, they would've retained Rick. Bringing in an entire new regime signals to me that they want to go in another direction.
That's not how I view it. That would only be the case if they didn't like Cousins at the QB....and I think the new people do. He's highly productive, I think they'd like to see what they can do with him.

Quote: @Knucklehead said:
devils advocate here.... it was Rick and Zim... OR KC,  and since they moved Rick and Zim, KC is the last man standing.  Of course all this Kirk is our guy could be nothing but a new paint job and some window dressing on a player they know they want to move off of and are just waiting for a full kitchen of cooks to make the move,  but I think its more likely that the discourse is sincere.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@Zanary said:
@JR44 said:
@MaroonBells said:
I just don't see a way the Vikings can trade Cousins and avoid a rebuild, which the Wilfs have clearly stated they do not want. I'm open to trading him; I just don't see a solution that allows them to remain in the hunt for the division title. 
We haven't been close to winning a division title in the 4 years he has been here and we have 1 playoff appearance, I don't see how that is going to change, so I would rather rebuild than be stuck in another 4 years of mediocrity.  
We didn't have a HC that really ran an offense well in the 4 years that Kirk's been here, and Kirk's had a line with glaring problems the whole time...oh, yeah, and half of that time, the defense was 1-2 positions from dead last...and that was after years of kickers that couldn't hit FGs/XPs.

Remember any of that?  Maybe, just maybe, the QB that actually got us a lot of points DESPITE those issues wasn't the problem.
… And Joe Burrow got sacked 51 times this year. It’s fine to support KC, he’s a good QB, but there are plenty of QBs who are better. Some fans long for that and wish this franchise would at least attempt to attain it. 
So, you counter with the fact that Burrow also has line issues.  He's still in a real system, has a better defense, and on a better-coached team.

One other little reminder: we were one BS "fumble" call from beating them, disjointed as we were.