Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins for Mayfield deal in the works?
I think this trade gives us more options as far as cap flexibility so thats a plus but as far as the compensation goes its a bad deal. 

Their 3rd this year is a mid pack third,   people keep assuming we would see another first coming our way,  but if Kirk goes there and does well,( which is what it would take for that additional pick to become a first) we have to assume the Browns will be picking later in the draft next year,  let's say mid to late 20s,  factor in that the pick is a year later,  so we are essentially getting a mid third and a late 2nd and 6 mill in cap relief for him. 

Seems awfully light for a guy that supposedly is superbowl ready with only a better OL.  ( I don't necessarily agree, but its been said plenty) if Kirk would do an extension that lowers his number this year to about that 39 max that we would see from this deal,  keep his cap number under 15% of the cap in any future year,  and agree to a future trade,  then I say extend him. 

He has to be smarter though than rogers and know the team is going to be aggressive in finding his replacement and no way should the team lock themselves in with KC with no outs,  or enter into a new deal that financially prevents them from making the moves to build back the defense and improve his protection.

MKC is also the beat writer who claimed there was a rift between Mayfield & Stefanski, to which Mayfield politely told her to go F herself...in much more pleasant verbiage. 

Quote: @"savannahskol" said:
@"Vikeking2" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
Until I see Mary Kay Cabot involved this is nothing but pure speculation imo. 
wish i could find it. but i saw earlier a story that said she was one of the first to bring it up. the story had a screenshot of her on a podcast. 
https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/01...cabot.html

"The Browns also have obvious connections to Cousins, who spent two seasons in Minnesota with Kevin Stefanski -- in 2018 as his QB coach then interim offensive coordinator, and 2019 as his full-time coordinator. In 2019, Cousins went 10-5 and finished with a career-high 107.4 rating, fourth in the NFL. He also threw 26 touchdowns against a career-low six interceptions. He completed 69.1 of his attempts and set a Vikings season record for completions with 425 and the second-most passing yards (4,298).
The Vikings are searching for a head coach to replace the fired Mike Zimmer, and hired their new GM on Tuesday in former Browns Vice President of Football Operations Kwesi Adofo-Mensah. If the Vikings opt for a new QB, Adofo-Mensah and Berry could possibly discuss a trade for Cousins, fourth last season with a 103.1 rating, that may or may not involve Mayfield. The Vikings have the No. 12 pick in the draft, one ahead of the Browns.
Cousins, whose future will depend in large part on the new coach, has a base salary of $35 million in 2022, the final year of his contract. Mayfield is heading into his fifth-year option year at $18.858 million."

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
Mayfield is owed 18M this year.  You want us to pick up 25M of Kirks salary.  That's a cap savings of $2M and a third rounder plus a conditional.
I know some of yall hate Kirk but damn, the guy is a top couple QB.  Lets see what a new coach can get out of him before we kick him to the curb.  Its not like there's a Mahomes/Allen in the draft we can go get. 
Mayfield is in his last year contract at close to $19

We are on the hook for $10 million for Kirk no matter what - signing bonus.  Kirk's 2022 salary is 35.

If the Browns were to assume 25 million then that leaves us with 20 to Kirk to not play for us and the 19 million for Mayfield = 39 million vs 45 million as is now - savings of 6 million.

So, you have a 4th year QB, age 26, who has showed flashes of above average play IMO (injuries destroyed his progress last year), save 6 million, get a 3rd this year, and a potential 1st rounder in 2023???  Or you stick with Cousin, who's only 33, never injured, and easily a Top 10 QB or higher but you have $45 million committed to him but you can extend and reduce that number by more than 6 million probably??

The above scenario, right now for me, I would want a little more from Cleveland.  

This will be Kwesi's second biggest decision after hiring a HC.  I think it will come down to if Kwesi thinks we are a few fixes/players away and stick with a redo Cousins or do we start a 2 year rebuild with a guy like Mayfield having a shot.  

I'd take Mayfield over Cousins in a heartbeat. Especially, with a 3rd this year and a 1st rounder in 2023?  You kidding' me?

Done like dinner. And I like KC. 
I would want a little more from Cleveland. I also think Mayfield has a shot to further develop and pick up where he left off 2 years ago before he got all banged up in week 2 this year.  

Also, I like Cousins as well, but I really don't think he is going win us a SB.  He does not have the "it" factor in crunch time or in personality and he is a Top 10 QB in stats consistently.  

If Cleveland were to take on about 5 million more of his salary or around 30 million that would make the starting QB flip save us about 11 million to sign a few players.  I would also want a 2nd rounder this year and the chance for the 1st rounder in 2023.  I would do that deal all day Smile

Lastly, if Cleveland trade for Cousins and they assumed 30 million they get a Top 10 QB for a bargain salary wise plus they can renegotiate his contract as well.   

But it really depends on how Kwesi see's this team and he has outside eyes/not his draft picks to truly scrutinize.  Does he see us as only a few players away that we should stick with Cousins/extend?  Or does he see what I think..which is we are more than a few players away and I want a young QB/Mayfield fits the bill and he has further potential (probably draft another w/ Mond) 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
I think this trade gives us more options as far as cap flexibility so thats a plus but as far as the compensation goes its a bad deal. 

Their 3rd this year is a mid pack third,   people keep assuming we would see another first coming our way,  but if Kirk goes there and does well,( which is what it would take for that additional pick to become a first) we have to assume the Browns will be picking later in the draft next year,  let's say mid to late 20s,  factor in that the pick is a year later,  so we are essentially getting a mid third and a late 2nd and 6 mill in cap relief for him. 

Seems awfully light for a guy that supposedly is superbowl ready with only a better OL.  ( I don't necessarily agree, but its been said plenty) if Kirk would do an extension that lowers his number this year to about that 39 max that we would see from this deal,  keep his cap number under 15% of the cap in any future year,  and agree to a future trade,  then I say extend him. 

He has to be smarter though than rogers and know the team is going to be aggressive in finding his replacement and no way should the team lock themselves in with KC with no outs,  or enter into a new deal that financially prevents them from making the moves to build back the defense and improve his protection.
We also get Mayfield, a QB who was the 1st overall pick just three years ago. 

So Vikings get...
1. $6M net
2. 1st (likely) and a 3rd
3. Baker Mayfield

Browns get...
1. Kirk Cousins

Seems decent for a guy that supposedly is the source of all our problems (I don't necessarily agree, but it's been said plenty).  :-)

For the record, I'm against this trade. Extend Cousins, add a couple of corners and let's see if we can't win what should be a much weaker division.

And again I think the big thing with trading Cousins would be getting out from under that contract moving forward. Yes we'd take a hit on some of his contract in any trade for this upcoming season, but if we can get fair compensation and his big money contract (any extension) off the books moving forward...that's the big benefit. Cap flexibility we haven't had in a while for Kwesi and the new coach to build the roster how they want. 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
And again I think the big thing with trading Cousins would be getting out from under that contract moving forward. Yes we'd take a hit on some of his contract in any trade for this upcoming season, but if we can get fair compensation and his big money contract (any extension) off the books moving forward...that's the big benefit. Cap flexibility we haven't had in a while for Kwesi and the new coach to build the roster how they want. 
Exactly. In essence paying for draft picks.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

So Vikings get...
1. $6M net
3. Baker Mayfield

Browns get...
1. Kirk Cousins

Seems decent for a guy that supposedly is the source of all our problems (I don't necessarily agree, but it's been said plenty).  :-)

For the record, I'm against this trade. Extend Cousins, add a couple of corners and let's see if we can't win what should be a much weaker division.

Exactly.

But, blowing the whole fucking thing up sure sounds fun. Until you go 3-14

Quote: @"JustinTime18™" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

So Vikings get...
1. $6M net
3. Baker Mayfield

Browns get...
1. Kirk Cousins

Exactly.

But, blowing the whole fucking thing up sure sounds fun. Until you go 3-14
Right? I've never understood the blow it up mentality. This isn't 1982, with the haves and the have nots and ne'er the twain shall meet. There is so much parity now in the NFL it's not unusual for teams to completely turn things around in one season. Look at the Bengals. Last place in their division last year. This year in the championship game. 49ers exact same thing. Year before, Tampa went from 7-9 to world champions. 

Not sure how I feel about it.  OBJ and Jefferson are close, and OBJ wanted the heck out of Cleveland.  While I don't think he ever said directly it was because of Baker, you can make the assumption based on others. 

Quote: @"El_Padre" said:
Not sure how I feel about it.  OBJ and Jefferson are close, and OBJ wanted the heck out of Cleveland.  While I don't think he ever said directly it was because of Baker, you can make the assumption based on others. 
We would be talking about 1 year with Baker, not a long term thing. Plus, any receiver is happy if they are getting the ball so we just have to make sure JJ is still getting the ball