Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Every week we watch this limp dick coach
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
Its game to game now. The Viking's season will continue to be a roller coaster and next week the board could be ready to crucify, myself included. But I can also give credit where it is due. Cousins was noticeably more aggressive as a QB on Sunday, like the elite guys are. The Vikings won that game really without a pass rush, the only pressure came after Rodgers had 5 seconds to pass but nowhere to go. The Packers are a good team and Minnesota was legitimately better in this game. 
But they're even better than what they showed. All NFL games are a series of matchups and adjustments, but at some point (usually in the 2nd quarter) you sort of get a sense for which is the better team. And in this game, it was definitely the Vikings. That's been true in so many games this year, only to watch the Vikings lose their grip and either lose the game or win it on the last play. It's frustrating. 

The Vikings STILL haven't put together a complete game. Has Dalvin had a gain of over 20 yards this year? I think he had 3 in the Packer game alone last season. Maybe we'll get Michael Pierce back and all this will start to come together down the stretch. 
The lack of pass rush is going to haunt Minnesota down the stretch. Otherwise, I agree with you. And when I say give credit to where it due, I mean Zimmer not Cousins. I been blowing Cousins' horn all year (ok....that didn't sound good). 

Quote: @Wetlander said:
So much complaining after a win lol
It's interesting that the same folks who insist "you are what your record says you are" are the same people who point out "almost" interceptions. 

Quote: @Bullazin said:
@Wetlander said:
i hear ya Wet. You are prolly the most patient poster here (PF maybe)? Have you been here lately? lol. About 90% of the board has called for Zim’s ouster including myself after the needless Dallas loss and its hard to blame us. 

Now its possible Zim pulls a Genie out of his ass and not only keeps the gas pedal down, but also gets a break here and there that good teams seem to generate, and gets us into the dance playing well. If that happens I will be surprised and very pleased. He has certainly broke tendency the last 2 games in his level of conservancy. 
No, I haven't been around as much.  Work has been crazy busy and I agreed to coach 7th grade boys basketball this fall...  add in hunting season... and I haven't found much time to be here.

That said, I do think Zimmer deserves some criticism for being conservative earlier in the season.  That said, I don't think he has as much say on the playcalling as others think.  Klint has called some terrible games earlier this year, but seems to be doing better.  Cousins has been more decisive going down field and it's paying off.  One thing I'd like to see Klint do differently is to stop going to Ham on critical downs and designing plays in the red zone for Osbourne, Conklin, and Ham.  You gotta trust Dalvin, Thielen, and Jefferson in those big spots.  Case in point, the 3rd and 1 yesterday when we pitched it to Ham...  ok, I can live with giving it to Ham...  but why...  WHY...  are we motioning Dalvin out and then asking Ham to run laterally for a first down?  He's called the Hammer for a reason.  Just a dumb play call and Klint has a couple of these every game.  Also, I forget what drive it was but we tried to throw a swing to Mattison and he was covered immediately...  obviously went incomplete...  next play we throw to Jefferson for the score.  Klint needs to realize we have 4 studs and some nice secondary weapons in Osborne and Conklin.  Give Thielen, Cook and Jefferson every chance to score inside in the 20.  It's why we are paying these guys...  To WIN games.

Defensively, we're going to have trouble all season without a pass rush.  Zimmer was doing everything he could to disguise pressure and coverage to confuse Rodgers pre-snap.  It was working the first half, but when we stopped getting pressure in the second half (credit the Packers OL on a few of those), Rodgers made some big plays.  I didn't see the defense get conservative.  We just had a few guys have some bad games...  Looking at you Woods and Mac.

This team isn't perfect, but they've been competitive against every team they've played.  Say what you want about Zimmer (he has his faults) but the guys play hard for him.  Hopefully we continue to gel.  Final thing...  Cousins has played very well this season.  He had a little stretch there where I thought he was kind of just there, but he looks like good Kirk from earlier this season now.  We need him pushing the ball down field to his playmakers to open up the running game for Dalvin.

Sorry for the long ramble, but I'm not as down on this team as some are.  Just going to enjoy the rest of the season and see where we end up.

I also thought this was the best in game playcalling we've seen from Kubiak. The different formations that we hadn't run before definitely created some confusion for the Packers defense. I have been highly critical of him all year. Not sure if he should shoulder all the blame as we don't know what Zimmer has dictated to him but if this creativity can continue, I like our chances down the stretch if the defense can make a respectable showing. 

I heard that Andrew Janocko is helping Kubiak with playcalling. I was wondering about this. I was wondering if that was having an impact.

Quote: @Bullazin said:
@Wetlander said:
i hear ya Wet. You are prolly the most patient poster here (PF maybe)? Have you been here lately? lol. About 90% of the board has called for Zim’s ouster including myself after the needless Dallas loss and its hard to blame us. 

Now its possible Zim pulls a Genie out of his ass and not only keeps the gas pedal down, but also gets a break here and there that good teams seem to generate, and gets us into the dance playing well. If that happens I will be surprised and very pleased. He has certainly broke tendency the last 2 games in his level of conservancy. 
I found it very interesting that Zim basically said that Cousins needs to take those shots and he will have to live with the risk.  

Quote: @greediron said:
@Bullazin said:
@Wetlander said:

I found it very interesting that Zim basically said that Cousins needs to take those shots and he will have to live with the risk.  
Sounds like an evolution to me, a very welcome one if not overdue. 

"I want him to keep doing it like he's doing it. If you throw an interception, you throw an interception. That's life. If we keep going for the jugular, that opens up a lot of other things."

Quote: @greediron said:
"I want him to keep doing it like he's doing it. If you throw an interception, you throw an interception. That's life. If we keep going for the jugular, that opens up a lot of other things."
thats not Zimmer, who is the ventriliquist?

Quote: @kmillard said:
@greediron said:
thats not Zimmer, who is the ventriliquist?
Definitely had the hostage situation feel to it.