So, I Did A Thing
Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@purplefaithful said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@pattersaur said:
My Honda is approaching 200K miles so I'm starting to look around at options for upgrading from my car to an SUV. Been looking off and on for a few months now, but I don't have much experience or knowledge when it comes to a lot of stuff, but especially car buying.
Any tips that any of you can share? Is there a better or worse time of year to buy? Or should I just keep waiting to find that unicorn vehicle priced way below market value?
Should add, I'll definitely be buying used. Thanks in advance for any help!
Time of year won't matter with a used car. I'd hit up my local Honda Dealer for the Pilot. Had one about eight years ago and loved it. 
I spent years driving VWs and Audis until they finally nickeled, dimed and dollared me to death. Love how they look, but seemed I was spending $1K every couple months or so. Decided to buy a used Acura SUV about 2.5 years ago and I've decided I'll never buy another brand. This thing has 130K on it and all I do is change the oil. I'm sold on the Honda/Acura brand in terms of reliability.
I have a Honda Accord V6, which offers plenty of power. To your point the idea of a German car is fun until you see the bills rolling in outside of the first 2-3 years of ownership. Not that I am a proponent of leasing, but it makes sense on those cars. Being able to change the tires and oil without much else makes my bank acct more excited. 
I've been driving VW's for years now (presently a GTI), and lease all of them (for the very reason of minimizing bills after 3 years, but also cuz I get bored and want a new car). I took my girlfriend to get her BMW back from the shop yesterday, and I was driving the loaner car they gave her and the thing was a beast (M340). Suffice to say...... I spoke with a customer rep from her dealer inquiring about purchasing a new car.
Ha!

As someone who sells BMW's? That is a familiar tale my friend. That car is truly a beast! IF you want that experience in an SUV with a tailgate?? X3 M40i...It'll smoke most Mustangs and Camaro's. 

I drive a 2018 340 with a 6 speed manual ,Mpower and Sound kit that does almost 400 hp, all wheel drive and sounds like heaven.

Keeps me young at heart. 

Love GTI's too, blast of a car. 
Ooooooooohhhh, girlfriend is dying for a Mini convertible. 
If you had said it was for you? Well, lets just say my internet perception would have evolved somewhat...

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@minny65 said:

Electric Cars are the clear future for numerous reasons but the options in trucks is very limited in terms of options and cost.  That will be changing dramatically in the next few years.

I have a Tesla Model S sedan that is just soooo much fun to drive!  I actually look for reasons to drive it.  The maintenance cost have been very limited over the 3 years I have owned.  New Tires...thats it.  Brakes last forever because of the regenerative braking technology that slows you down without braking when you take your foot off the gas.  You come to a complete stop with just a tap.  I drive fast and put on about 20,000 miles a year so I don't baby it at all.  Honestly the environmental aspect was a bonus but not a real factor in my purchase.  Yes, I know how electricity is produced.  

If someone is in the market for a new vehicle in the next few years then drive an electric vehicle.  It is no contest.  You feel like you are floating/gliding, the acceleration with the Tesla is insane (fastest production car) and the maintenance is nil.  People will stop and ask me all kinds of questions and most ask about what happens if the battery fails which would be similar to engine failure.  The warranty is 5 year 100,000 miles which is typical for most vehicles.  They have Model S's with 500K, 600K and a record so far of 1 million miles on the same battery.  I have had no problems with my battery and I am at 103,000 miles.  My 2014 Model S gets about 245 a full charge but in the winter and the mountains (where I live) it can go down to around 200 miles a full charge.  The newer electric cars get over 350 miles a full charge.  There are Superchargers an hour in every direction of where I live (which is not a Tesla/electric area at all).  I sit and do paperwork for the 45 minutes it takes to do a full charge.  Actually it has helped me get my paperwork done on time Smile.  I have the charger at home so that when I pull in I just plug it in and it will bring my charge back for the next day (time varies but I say around 3.5 to 4 hours overnight?)

The wave of the future in cars (not trucks yet).  No engine, no oil, no exhaust, no road noise, the smoothest ride, insane acceleration, Have not replaced the brakes yet at 103,000 and I drive fast and hard.  My Infinity I have had to replace the brakes around 6 times in the 11 years I have owned - around 170,000 miles. 

Curious where you live?  Wondering what the temperature swings are like and if you're seeing issues in the summer as well...meaning the battery is to hot vs to cold?
The best way to get Americans to drive electric cars is to make them be more efficient to own then a gas car.  Its all about the Benjamins. 
I live in the Pocono Mountains of Northern PA.  I drive (sales) in about a 5 hour radius sometimes up to Buffalo.  I do not see any significant battery mileage loss in heat, although I don't remember how many times I may have driven in 90+??  It is the mountains, cold and speed/wind that gets you less battery miles.  For example, I drive my daughter about 2:15 hours to Penn State in State College, about 145 miles.  It is through Central PA and through the mountains and all highway.  If it is 55 degree's plus and I drive around 78-82 mpg I will get there in about 158 battery miles.  Same scenario but it is below  35 degrees and windy I would estimate I would need about 175 miles.

The current Tesla's, and I am sure the future other big company cars, are already more efficient then the vast majority of gas powered vehicles.  The problem for most is the price point and the inability to look long term efficiency when they can't get past the price.  Like I said above, I have had to put very minimal maintenance cost into my Tesla vs my numerous prior vehicles (15+).  Currently I have my 11 year old Xfinity M37 sports sedan, a Nissan Altima that the kids drive, an Explorer that my wife drives and then the Tesla.   I bought everyone of those vehicles used.  I don't have the exact breakdown numbers (although I have a rough spreadsheet) and so far this Tesla (so far 103K miles) I have only needed new Tires which are the typical priced sport tires and the same I use on my Xfinity (abt $230 michelin).  The Explorer and the Infinity go through brakes constantly and I have yet to need new brakes.  

The cost of not paying gas is huge of course but you need to add in the price you pay for the electricity so it is not free.  I would estimate based on experience that I pay around $45 to get 350 miles on my Infinity (not efficient).  PA has a very high gas tax btw.  So for me to get 350 miles on my Tesla I would estimate between $15-18 range.  I drive at least 25000 a year (i lowballed above) so if I extrapolate all these numbers it saves me about $2000 in gas alone.  Add up, no oil changes, engine issues, exhaust issue, brake issues, a better ride then any gas vehicle, unreal acceleration and it is a very efficient vehicle.  The vast majority of people don't like change and if older then 40 are leery of new technology.  Of course most car buyers are 40+.  If you are talking to a 22-35 year old they know the efficiency of a Tesla and they are not afraid of change. 

Oh, Like I said I buy all my vehicles used and drive them into the ground. Back in 2012, I bought the Infinity M37X sport sedan four wheel drive for 32K.  It was a stunning car both interior/exterior.  My wife got in it with the salesman with me driving and she says this is the nicest car I have ever been in and I should buy it....there went any negotiation but I had her blessing and I don't think she knew the speed of that car.  Flash forward to 3 years ago and I paid 34K for my 2014 Model S. 

In the 3 years I have saved a lot of money driving a much better/fun/speed/technology then my Infinity.   

The new Tesla's are getting up towards 400 miles a charge.  Like I said there are older Tesla's (like my S) that have a million miles on the battery and counting.  Musk is working on his next Tesla that will get 400 mile range and will go 0-60 in 2 seconds!!!  It is so much fun to pull up next to a gearhead in a sports car and smoke them Smile  (I know I am very immature but only if challengedSmile

Also you will occasionally see some bad stories about Tesla's be it battery, safety, technology, whatever.  I think the powerful gas powered car companies love to push these stories so they have more time to catch up and enter the market.

All the other car companies are following and the whole market/consumer will as well.  

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@purplefaithful said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@pattersaur said:
My Honda is approaching 200K miles so I'm starting to look around at options for upgrading from my car to an SUV. Been looking off and on for a few months now, but I don't have much experience or knowledge when it comes to a lot of stuff, but especially car buying.
Any tips that any of you can share? Is there a better or worse time of year to buy? Or should I just keep waiting to find that unicorn vehicle priced way below market value?
Should add, I'll definitely be buying used. Thanks in advance for any help!
Time of year won't matter with a used car. I'd hit up my local Honda Dealer for the Pilot. Had one about eight years ago and loved it. 
I spent years driving VWs and Audis until they finally nickeled, dimed and dollared me to death. Love how they look, but seemed I was spending $1K every couple months or so. Decided to buy a used Acura SUV about 2.5 years ago and I've decided I'll never buy another brand. This thing has 130K on it and all I do is change the oil. I'm sold on the Honda/Acura brand in terms of reliability.
I have a Honda Accord V6, which offers plenty of power. To your point the idea of a German car is fun until you see the bills rolling in outside of the first 2-3 years of ownership. Not that I am a proponent of leasing, but it makes sense on those cars. Being able to change the tires and oil without much else makes my bank acct more excited. 
I've been driving VW's for years now (presently a GTI), and lease all of them (for the very reason of minimizing bills after 3 years, but also cuz I get bored and want a new car). I took my girlfriend to get her BMW back from the shop yesterday, and I was driving the loaner car they gave her and the thing was a beast (M340). Suffice to say...... I spoke with a customer rep from her dealer inquiring about purchasing a new car.
Ha!

As someone who sells BMW's? That is a familiar tale my friend. That car is truly a beast! IF you want that experience in an SUV with a tailgate?? X3 M40i...It'll smoke most Mustangs and Camaro's. 

I drive a 2018 340 with a 6 speed manual ,Mpower and Sound kit that does almost 400 hp, all wheel drive and sounds like heaven.

Keeps me young at heart. 

Love GTI's too, blast of a car. 
Ooooooooohhhh, girlfriend is dying for a Mini convertible. 
If you had said it was for you? Well, lets just say my internet perception would have evolved somewhat...
Lol. I was trying to get her into a Bronco Sport, but I don't fit. The Mini, I fit. 

Quote: @minny65 said:
I live in the Pocono Mountains of Northern PA. 
Very interesting.  I've got some math to do.  The range gets complicated for our family.  For my business its no big deal.  I have a couple hour area for sales as well.  However, when my wife goes from TN to say MN/IA/MI/OH/PA etc she usually steals my car for the gas mileage. She usually drives at night and stops for gas only.  So she'll get 400 miles out of a tank, fill up and be on her way again.  I already know she wouldn't do the sit and wait thing and honestly I wouldn't want her sitting and waiting in some truck stop at night.   I wonder how long until we have swap-able batteries?  Pull in swap out to a freshly charged one and on your way you go again?

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@minny65 said:
Very interesting.  I've got some math to do.  The range gets complicated for our family.  For my business its no big deal.  I have a couple hour area for sales as well.  However, when my wife goes from TN to say MN/IA/MI/OH/PA etc she usually steals my car for the gas mileage. She usually drives at night and stops for gas only.  So she'll get 400 miles out of a tank, fill up and be on her way again.  I already know she wouldn't do the sit and wait thing and honestly I wouldn't want her sitting and waiting in some truck stop at night.   I wonder how long until we have swap-able batteries?  Pull in swap out to a freshly charged one and on your way you go again?
Yea the range is an issue for your wife's example for sure.  So to your point, we have the other vehicles for backup.  For example, If I have to travel to Buffalo and don't want to stop for the 45 minutes to charge I take the Infinity and my wife will drive the Tesla.  Also, Tesla's have the sports tires and the one I have is not 4 wheel drive thus not good in snow.  So I will drive the Explorer or even my Infinity because is 4 wheel and pretty darn good in snow despite the same sports tires.  Basically if you live in a snow belt area get the Tesla with the winter package if you don't have a backup vehicle.

This Tesla is working bigtime for me because since you are in sales like me I get mileage reimbursement from my company!  I didn't mention that because because that is not typical for most of course.  So I get close to $700 a month in mileage reimbursement and my payment on the car is $355 (34K but I put about 12 down).  

So, I would say it is no brainer if you are similar to my situation.  I actually feel like I am being paid to drive the best car I have ever owned.  The hour stops to recharge have not been issue because I get all my paper work done or make phone calls etc.  But you do need to plan ahead on those 2+hour drives.  There are Superchargers usually within an hour of any location throughout PA (usually next to shopping/restaurants, and I am sure for your area as well.  Plus there are a ton more planned so that won't be an issue.  I would expect, from Musk, that those Superchargers will also improve on time for full charge from that 45-50 minutes.  Not sure about swap out batteries because the battery is the 80% the whole bottom of the car.  Initially it did take me a few months to adjust to planning the stops and the difference in weather etc.  But after a few months it doesn't change anything at all from my daily driving.  

I think w e have private inbox on here if you have any other questions because I am sure we are boring the heck out of some fellow Long shippers!  Plus I highjacked the thread that was all about trucks Smile

Started looking through The Beast. Just an insane amount of detail. Well worth the money.

Quote: @minny65 said:
@AGRforever said:
@minny65 said:
Yea the range is an issue for your wife's example for sure.  So to your point, we have the other vehicles for backup.  For example, If I have to travel to Buffalo and don't want to stop for the 45 minutes to charge I take the Infinity and my wife will drive the Tesla.  Also, Tesla's have the sports tires and the one I have is not 4 wheel drive thus not good in snow.  So I will drive the Explorer or even my Infinity because is 4 wheel and pretty darn good in snow despite the same sports tires.  Basically if you live in a snow belt area get the Tesla with the winter package if you don't have a backup vehicle.

This Tesla is working bigtime for me because since you are in sales like me I get mileage reimbursement from my company!  I didn't mention that because because that is not typical for most of course.  So I get close to $700 a month in mileage reimbursement and my payment on the car is $355 (34K but I put about 12 down).  

So, I would say it is no brainer if you are similar to my situation.  I actually feel like I am being paid to drive the best car I have ever owned.  The hour stops to recharge have not been issue because I get all my paper work done or make phone calls etc.  But you do need to plan ahead on those 2+hour drives.  There are Superchargers usually within an hour of any location throughout PA (usually next to shopping/restaurants, and I am sure for your area as well.  Plus there are a ton more planned so that won't be an issue.  I would expect, from Musk, that those Superchargers will also improve on time for full charge from that 45-50 minutes.  Not sure about swap out batteries because the battery is the 80% the whole bottom of the car.  Initially it did take me a few months to adjust to planning the stops and the difference in weather etc.  But after a few months it doesn't change anything at all from my daily driving.  

I think w e have private inbox on here if you have any other questions because I am sure we are boring the heck out of some fellow Long shippers!  Plus I highjacked the thread that was all about trucks Smile
not at all,  this is exactly why we allow OT threads,  I am liking the ability to read first hand user knowledge of the products.  keep on sharing.

Oh, so we're not talking about just trucks? Cool, I can participate a tiny bit. Smile 

I've driven a couple of Tesla models and think they're amazing. Nice choice @minny65. I even put down a deposit on the model 3 before it was released. The timing didn't meet up with my needs so I stuck with gas for now (Cad XT5, Garnet color). I love the dark purplish color on my baby and love driving it.

But I am determined to make my next car an electric one. I'm sold. And I love seeing the choices expand in the market. Since I get employee pricing with GM, I'm really hoping there is an appealing offering when I'm in the market again.

Quote: @Nichelle said:
Oh, so we're not talking about just trucks? Cool, I can participate a tiny bit. Smile 

I've driven a couple of Tesla models and think they're amazing. Nice choice @minny65. I even put down a deposit on the model 3 before it was released. The timing didn't meet up with my needs so I stuck with gas for now (Cad XT5, Garnet color). I love the dark purplish color on my baby and love driving it.

But I am determined to make my next car an electric one. I'm sold. And I love seeing the choices expand in the market. Since I get employee pricing with GM, I'm really hoping there is an appealing offering when I'm in the market again.
Your Caddy sounds awesome.  I like the darker colored cars and of course yours is on the purple side Smile   My Model S in a rather unique British racing Green with the all black wheels that I put silver/chrome calipers on to match the silver/chrome trim.  I actually like the look of these older Model S then any of the new models.  

I'm not sure if we can put pictures on here but I will try.  

[Image: vbod9k2inhp7.jpg]