Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who thinks this next Covid Relief bill is being handled well?
Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
correct me if I’m wrong but prisoners pay for their stay. Isnt this just a payout to the prisons for money they wouldnt have gotten before?
Yes and no.

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2019/...arceration

Quote: @"mblack" said:
#CovidReliefBillFacts
  1. Over 70% of the country supports the bill. 2/3rd of the country favors it.
  2. American Airlines will no longer furlough the 13000 workers thanks to the bill. He was happy to announce that the employees should tear the WARN letter. The CEO said if the employees see a congressman they should thank him or her. He forgot to mention except its a Republican senator
  3. Biden announced another 100 million vaccines. We are now talking about a potential surplus in vaccines and may even help other countries according to Biden (this is not part of the bill)
  4. This bill has about the same amount if spending like the trump tax cuts. The difference? The Trump tax cut focused on the wealthy. 85% of the covid bill focuses on middle / low income earners
  5. The bill will make COBRA less expense. Also making it easier to get and keep health insurance. The sad part here though is that Health Insurance provisions expire in two years so buckle up.
  6. Senator Roger Wicker from Mississippi is now talking about how the bill will help and is good but he voted against it. Remember no Republican senators voted for it. How nice of him to promote the benefits of the so called "terrible" bill. I give him credit though given most of his republican colleagues have avoided talking about the bill. 
All this happened within the first 50 days of the Biden administration.

So yes let's keep talking about how it eliminates the debts for CA and NY, focus on how it increases the national debt, prisoners getting covid relief and other trivial nonsense.
I mean to be fair, if you asked people if they want free money I’m kind of supprised only 2/3s support it lol. All the garbage in there just gets overlooked because people are getting checks. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
correct me if I’m wrong but prisoners pay for their stay. Isnt this just a payout to the prisons for money they wouldnt have gotten before?
Yes and no.

This says they bill prisoners for their stay. If its anything like medicaid theyll suck that money up as soon as it hits the account. Its probably why the subject in ypur link only puts $200 in the acvount. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5b9bf1a1e4b013b0977a7d74/amp

@"StickyBun" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
Yes and no.

This says they bill prisoners for their stay. If its anything like medicaid theyll suck that money up as soon as it hits the account. Its probably why the subject in ypur link only puts $200 in the acvount. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5b9bf1a1e4b013b0977a7d74/amp
....outside of the headline that prisons cost taxpayers $80 billion annually.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"AGRforever" said:

@"StickyBun" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
Yes and no.

....outside of the headline that prisons cost taxpayers $80 billion annually.

That wasnt the point. I’m well aware that people in cages cant make a living. My point was wont the prison system just take the check the moment it hits their account?  Almost like a wage garnishment?

Quote: @"mblack" said:
#CovidReliefBillFacts
  1. Over 70% of the country supports the bill. 2/3rd of the country favors it.
  2. American Airlines will no longer furlough the 13000 workers thanks to the bill. He was happy to announce that the employees should tear the WARN letter. The CEO said if the employees see a congressman they should thank him or her. He forgot to mention except its a Republican senator
  3. Biden announced another 100 million vaccines. We are now talking about a potential surplus in vaccines and may even help other countries according to Biden (this is not part of the bill)
  4. This bill has about the same amount if spending like the trump tax cuts. The difference? The Trump tax cut focused on the wealthy. 85% of the covid bill focuses on middle / low income earners
  5. The bill will make COBRA less expense. Also making it easier to get and keep health insurance. The sad part here though is that Health Insurance provisions expire in two years so buckle up.
  6. Senator Roger Wicker from Mississippi is now talking about how the bill will help and is good but he voted against it. Remember no Republican senators voted for it. How nice of him to promote the benefits of the so called "terrible" bill. I give him credit though given most of his republican colleagues have avoided talking about the bill. 
All this happened within the first 50 days of the Biden administration.

So yes let's keep talking about how it eliminates the debts for CA and NY, focus on how it increases the national debt, prisoners getting covid relief and other trivial nonsense.
Glad you think billions in pork is trivial.

Again, what portion of the bill actually was for covid relief?  If every citizen got a check, it wouldn't even be 1/4 of the entire bill.  

So the farcical govt lockdowns (1st anniversary of 15 days...) drives the airlines to bankrupcy, but we should be thankful 13,000 workers get to keep their jobs for another few months.  What about the millions of small businesses that didn't?  

85% of the bill focuses on middle/low class?  What gymnastics do you have to do to make that shit up?  NYC and SF are low income?  Cuomo/Deblasio/Shumer/Pelosi are certainly not middle to low income.

The world went on a debt binge last year. There could be a nasty hangover
London (CNN Business) — Desperate to save their economies from complete collapse, governments borrowed unprecedented amounts of money on the cheap to support workers and businesses during the pandemic. Now, with recovery in sight, a big risk looms: interest payments.
Spurred on by rock-bottom rates, governments issued $16.3 trillion in debt in 2020, and they're expected to borrow another $12.6 trillion this year, according to S&P Global Ratings. But fears are growing that an explosive economic comebackstarting this summer could generate inflation, potentially forcing central banks to raise rates sooner than expected. 
Should that happen, the cost of servicing mountains of sovereign debt will jump, eating up government funds that could otherwise be spent on essential services or rebuilding weakened economies. US lawmakers approved a mammoth $1.9 trillion stimulus package on Wednesday that could send prices higher and increase pressure on the Federal Reserve. Many economists think the threat of inflation may be overplayed. But political leaders, worried they'll need to make difficult tradeoffs in the years ahead, are watching the situation closely.
"Borrowing costs are affordable right now, but interest rates and inflation may not stay low forever," UK finance minister Rishi Sunak warned when announcing the British government's budget earlier this month.
Waiting for inflation
Concerns about rising interest rates have come into focus as investors offload government bonds. The yield on the benchmark 10-year US Treasury recently rose above 1.6% to its highest level in more than a year. Meanwhile, the yield on 10-year UK bonds spiked above 0.8% late last month, a steep rise from less than 0.2% at the start of the year.The moves have been triggered in part by growing confidence about the next phase of the pandemic. As vaccination campaigns allow governments to lift some restrictions, consumers are expected to rush to restaurants and hop on planes. That could push up prices, which central banks have pledged to keep under control.
Policymakers have played down the threat. Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell, speaking last week, said he expects inflation to rise as the economy reopens, but stressed that the Fed will try to differentiate between a "one-time surge in prices and ongoing inflation," indicating he's in no rush to change course. European Central Bank President Christine Lagarde is expected to send a similar message later Thursday when she speaks to reporters. Still, S&P Global Ratings pointed to inflation as a potential concern in a report on sovereign debt this month, noting it "could push central banks to increase interest rates, partially reversing the benefits of low debt-servicing costs."
"A big jump in interest rates would be very costly," said Ugo Panizza, professor of international economics at the Graduate Institute in Geneva. "Central banks will face very, very complicated tradeoffs if inflation does go up."
https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/11/investing...index.html

we arent going to raise rates. The fed picked this path long ago during the obama administration. Come hell or high water, print and print big. 

we arent going to raise rates. The fed picked this path long ago during the obama administration. Come hell or high water, print and print big. 
Why do you assign it to the Obama admin and not the aftermath of the Bush admin?  Just curios, have heard, somewhere, the economy may have had something to do with fiscal policy at the time.  How did that work out, I mean we did get tax cuts in the aftermath, or is that not work in your narrative.